Health & Exercise

Dieting PP/ While BFing

Is it safe? I was thinking about starting up Weight Watchers but don't want it to affect my milk supply.

Re: Dieting PP/ While BFing

• I think WW has a special plan for breastfeeding moms, it allows more points to help keep your supply up.  I tried dieting while I was breastfeeding and everything I did killed my supply.
  • I just started using Babyfit.com, and you can adjust it for BFing. It's free, and I've had success with its partner site (sparkpeople.com) in the past. GL!
    Baby E: July 3, 2009 Baby M: February 22, 2012
  • Loading the player...
  • imagekbs0929:
    I think WW has a special plan for breastfeeding moms, it allows more points to help keep your supply up.

this

• There are definitely programs out there that are designed for BFing mommas. However - remember that all the studies showing the chemical superiority of BM to formula are done with women on very ideal diets. It is VERY important for you to get sufficient calories and esp. a good amount of healthy fats (polyunsaturated and unsaturated; omega-3 and omega-6 in the right balance), tons of vitamins, and keep hydrated.

I am a strong believer that dieting while BFing is a no-no. This coming from a formula feeder though, so take it with a grain of salt! :) I write about nutrition and women's health for a living though so this is just from what I've gleaned from research....and in the end, I can tell you that in my playgroup, all of us have taken approx the same amount of time to lose baby weight, no matter if we "dieted" or not. In fact, my one friend who is doing Jenny Craig and EBF has taken the longest time to drop the weight. Just relax, eat healthy, and take care of yourself!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"