Special Needs

1st Neuro appt today.

The Neuro didn't seem too concerned with DS.  DS is 15 months and only about a month has he started to do a normal crawl and is pulling up a lot now.  He has a weak core.  The Neuro said it may not be such a weak issue but may be an incoordination issue and it could be something in the brain, however, he said he does not want to run tests now such as putting him under for an MRI because from what he sees, he believes son will be okay.  He does want to see him back in about 3 to 4 months when he is 19 to 19 months old.  He only has 3 works that he says now but the neuro said it's still considered normal.  He is delayed in gross motor but again, nothing is alarming to him.  So I guess this is good news.  He said from what he seen on examination today is that his social issues and receptive issues are fine.  He said the fact that he is progressing in PT and moving in all the right directions is very positive.  I only hope he continues to progress more when we go back to see him.  He did say if I have any concernes before then, I can bring him back in.

Re: 1st Neuro appt today.

• Are you comfortable waiting?  You could always get a second opinion if you feel like you're not getting enough from this neuro?
  • I am not comfortable putting him under now for an MRI so I am glad that he suggested that he does not want one done on him now anyway.   He is not just completely brushing us off and is asking us to come back in 3 to 4 months to see how much he has developed then so I do feel comfortable with that.  If needed at that time, then some tests may need to be done.  I think the fact he is getting PT now is a huge help.  He gets evaluated again in 3 months so if he needs other therapy I am all for it and at the same time if I still  have an uneasy feeling I will then make sure tests are done.  The good thing is that my Pedi and the PT said prior to me even going to the appt is that it's a good thing at my DS age being that he is not that far behind that a neuro just evaluates him and suggests a follow-up and NOT just start running tests off the bat unless he sees something really alarming.  Not that they don't think tests should be run, just not now, they both feel to wait until 18 months too.  My PT said if the neuro suggests an MRI right away at the first eval, to go to a Dev Ped and get another opinion.  Also, he is starting pretend play and stuff now which I am happy with because he was not doing that.  So for now, I will take one step at at time.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"