D.C. Area Babies
Options

privacy issues and the nest/bump

After careful consideration due to yesterday's post regarding day care, I realized that maybe I've been a little too eager to share my personal history and info with complete (yet friendly!) strangers on the internet. So, as you can see- I've changed a few things.

I guess the reason I'm posting this is because I'm interested in learning about what you all think regarding your postings on the nest/bump, your family's privacy, and any concerns you may have.

Re: privacy issues and the nest/bump

• Options
    My mother raised us to be very paranoid.  I sometimes question whether or not I should even have my kids' pictures in my sig and my bio, which I may remove soon.  Mainly I'm worried about what identity-stealers can do with my kids' names plus their birth dates, which is why I embrace the use of "DD" and "DS" in my posts and don't use their names on here. 
    Wife, Musician, Fed, WW-er, and Mom of three little kids - not necessarily in that order.
  • Options
    I don't have a ticker b/c I don't want ppl knowing my DD's bday or my wedding day. Yes, I may mention it in an occasional post but it's not there every single post.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

i don't put information on here that i wouldn't want a complete stranger to have.

in other words, i put nothing too too personal.

imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options

I've been thinking about the same thing and I actually just removed my daughter's name from my siggy yesterday. I'm thinking of making a few other changes like what Sofka did. I am going to be more more careful too about what I write about in posts...especially in regards to the whole daycare thing. I think it's hard because we all get comfortable with one another but we forget that there may also be crazy people out there that can read what we write.

I keep thinking about this Oprah show from a few years ago where a woman faked a pregnancy and then tried to steal her neighbor's baby. Crazy, but those people are out there...

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

I'm pretty happy with my level of disclosure.  Yes, people know DS's name and birthday, but I don't see what could be done with those really.   I don't give out any personal info on the boards--I save that for PMs. 

I'm not one to fall into the culture of fear trap though.  Yes, there are crazy people out there, but there are many more normal people than crazy people. 

My screen name is also not readily googleable (is that a word?), so that helps significantly.  A definite plus for picking a well known historical person as your SN!

• Options
    LOL, well considering I'm a business owner with a blog, etc. etc. I am careful about what I say on open message boards for biz reasons I am not paranoid about the other stuff since I am the one that sort of has to be "out there".
  • Options
    If someone wants to figure out who you are, they will.  Any additional information you provide casually along the way they will catalog and keep.  The reality is this isn't worth most peoples' time.  How many of us recognized people from the knot along the way?  I certainly saw people at dog parks, at the grocery store, in neighborhoods.  It all starts to come together after a while.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    2 other things I'll never do - post pix of my house, esp. the outside of my house and have a ticker counting down to a vacation; those 2 put together are just asking for a bulgrar to come over
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"