D.C. Area Babies
Options

supply issues . . . ugh

I posted before about DS's latch issues and how we've been using a nipple shield. Since the shield doesn't stimulate milk production as much as regular nursing, I've been pumping as well. At first, this was fine - I was getting 1-2oz after a feeding 3-4x/day, and 3-4oz at a stand-alone 4am pumping session.

Within the last few days, though, my supply has really dropped - now I'm lucky to get 1oz/session. And DH still seems hungry after I nurse. I've used up all my freezer stash trying to sate him and I'm worried he's not getting enough (although maybe I just don't know what his cries mean yet?).

Anyone have this issue or some suggestions? I've been doing mother's milk tea and lactation cookies, but no difference yet. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

TTC #2: BFP 12/17/11, m/c 1/7/12 and D&C 1/12/12

baby blog/cooking blog
Follow Me on Pinterest

Re: supply issues . . . ugh

• Options
    Hey- I dealt with this a few weeks ago just before coming back to work. I've been taking fenugreek and that has really worked. LC Holly at CMG recommended I start with fenugreek- you can get it at whole foods. Also, drink lots of water. Have you read through the stuff on Kellymom? You can also call Holly and ask what she recommends. Sorry you're dealing with this- it sucks :(
  • Options

why are you only nursing 3-4 times a day? at that age, DD was eating every 2-3 hrs during the day and every 3-4 hrs at night. Is your baby not nursing at night?

It seems like you are doing the right thing by pumping after nursing, are you pumping after no milk comes out? Don't stop while there is still milk; after it stops, pump for 2-3 more mins per side, this will tell your body to produce more. Drink water while nursing/pumping.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageSofka:

It seems like you are doing the right thing by pumping after nursing, are you pumping after no milk comes out? Don't stop while there is still milk; after it stops, pump for 2-3 more mins per side, this will tell your body to produce more. Drink water while nursing/pumping.

I was going to suggest this too.  Pump a few minutes after the milk stops coming out.  Sends your  body the signal that the "baby" needs more, and your body hopefully will produce more.

Wife, Musician, Fed, WW-er, and Mom of three little kids - not necessarily in that order.
  • Options
    Also, (hope this isn't tmi-type advice) but try massaging your breast to stimulate your ducts while you pump. I'm not sure where to find it, but I'm sure there is something on Kellymom.com about it or an LC should be able to show you. That really helped increase and maintain my supply (back when I was bf-ing).
  • Options
    Another tip/trick while you are pumping, after it seems like all the milk come out, switch the pump back to let down mode (hit the yellow button if you have a Medela PISA), I almost always let down a second and sometimes even a third time. 
  • Options

imagebh2720:
    Also, (hope this isn't tmi-type advice) but try massaging your breast to stimulate your ducts while you pump. I'm not sure where to find it, but I'm sure there is something on Kellymom.com about it or an LC should be able to show you. That really helped increase and maintain my supply (back when I was bf-ing).

yes, massage towards the nipple

• Options
    Hm, that's tough!  Could you try a few times a day nursing without the shield?  I've also heard good things about fenugreek.  Are you drinking lots of water and eating plenty?  That always really helped with my supply.   Also, as far as pumping the best time is usually early in the morning after your longest stretch of sleep. 
  • Options
    it was probably just a matter of good timing, but my milk was taking it's time coming in and within a day of fenugreek, mother's milk tea, oatmeal and tons of water it was in full effect. fenugreek seems to be some kind of miracle bfing supplement.
    The DC Nest. Winers welcome.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    imageSofka:

why are you only nursing 3-4 times a day? at that age, DD was eating every 2-3 hrs during the day and every 3-4 hrs at night. Is your baby not nursing at night?

I'm not nursing 3-4x/day! Sorry for the confusion. I'm pumping after every other feeding during the day (feeding every 2-3 hours), then pumping once in the middle of the night along with doing night feedings. 

I did have some blocked ducts over the weekend, I'm not sure if that made a difference. I do need to be drinking more water, I think. The mother's milk tea has fenugreek in it, but I might try a regular supplement as well?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

TTC #2: BFP 12/17/11, m/c 1/7/12 and D&C 1/12/12

baby blog/cooking blog
    Follow Me on Pinterest

• Options
    imagetomandcourt:

I did have some blocked ducts over the weekend, I'm not sure if that made a difference. I do need to be drinking more water, I think. The mother's milk tea has fenugreek in it, but I might try a regular supplement as well?

since i have them handy, i looked and my fenugreek supplements have over 1200 mg per dose (which you're supposed to take 2-4x a day) and my tea only had 35 mg. 

The DC Nest. Winers welcome.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"