Birth Stories

Question for moms who have delivered 2nd, 3rd baby...

My first birth was extremely fast (2/12 hours) Afterwards, the dr. said for my next birth I better get to the hospital super fast or I would have it had home. Was he joking. Wondering if labour for the 2nd, 3rd baby is always faster? TIA

Re: Question for moms who have delivered 2nd, 3rd baby...

• Not me, but every labor is different....sometimes #2 is much faster & #3 drags on like a first time delivery...

In my experience, when you start dilating to a higher # (like 4-5 cm) at your weekly visits, the OB might set you up with an induction, just so you are able to give birth at the hospital & decrease the risk of an outside birth (unless you lived super close, like <20 mins away).

High-risk L&D nurse...If in doubt, go to triage!

Trevor Calvin 12.10.07 7:26pm 7lbs2.5oz 19.75in

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Emerson Claire 07.07.11 11:34am 7lbs7oz 20.5 in

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• typically subsequent labors do go faster, but that is not always the case.  every labor is different. 

how far do you live from the hospital?  if you are far do you have friends/family that you could stay with when you get closer to time to deliver?  have you considered a home birth? 

• Loading the player...
  • I haven't had a second, but my mom had me way quicker than my older brother. My MIL almost delivered her youngest son in the car because she didn't except to go so fast!
  • My first labor with DS #1 was about 5 hours. The second with DD was only about 2 hours. I didn't even have time for the good drugs! Not a happy experience. But DD had two true knots in the chord and may have been deprived of oxygen had labor been much longer, so...it worked out for the best, obviously.  My DS#2, and #3 were about 6 hours. My longest labor was DS#4. The bag of water was blocking the cervix and I didn't dilate. Finally, after about 12 hours, my OB broke the water and I pushed one time. Tah-dah! Long story short--all labors are different. You can't second guess those little darlings.
    Soon to be a mom of 7! Guess who's in the market for a 12-passenger van!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"