Birth Stories
Options

My birthstory (almost a year later I am ready to talk about it) a failed induction, 2 week late, c-s

I feel like from the start everything went wrong. There are pictures of baby boy in my bio. Click on the little square picture by my screename and it will take you. DS was due October 1st. The last month of my pregnancy was really hard for me pain wise because my back is so messed up from a previous car accident. I went to the Dr. on his due date and there was no progress. So I went a week later and I could feel something was wrong but they refused to induce me, little man was snug as a bug. So another week went by and I wasn't feeling  little man move a lot and I could just feel something was wrong. So he was now two weeks late, my OB wanted me to go another week. I couldn't handle what she was telling me because she wouldn't listen to me. Around 32 weeks I fell on a wet floor at work and since then I had been having bad thoughts and limited movement and I just wanted him out to see he was healthy.

So she said no to induction and she wanted me to go another week. I walked out of the exam room while she was still talking. She followed me to my car where I threw my blackberry so hard out of frustration at my car that it broke my front windshield, but amazingly not my blackberry. Then she knew I was done. She said I had to wait a few days to get "fit" into the induction schedule. So the 14th rolled around and at this point I was still working so I made my 65 mile drive (one way to work) I had literally set my purse on my desk as I got in the door when my cell rang and my ob called and said she wanted to do a gel insertion tonight. I didn't want to work, so I left. LOL and did the 65 mile drive home.

DH and I packed our hospital bag, because we hadn't packed it yet. Then we drove to our new home and guess what! It was done and had passed inspection. We had a new house built and it was supposed to be done 2 to 3 months before the baby came. Well here we were in the middle of October and no house and no baby. So then we went over to the hospital.

I got settled into a room where we twiddled our thumbs since the TV was broken. My OB came in and did the gel insertion and said I had to lay there still for at least an hour and then she would come back and check. So DH and I talked about everything and anything. Then I had to pee about an hour and a half later. So I went to the restroom and then when I came back my OB checked me and my cervix was still kind of high and hard. They gave me a sleeping pill to take home and told me to come back around 7 in the morning. 

I went home and I refused to take the sleeping pill, I am not a big medicine person. I went to sleep and the next day on the way to the hospital we picked up a box of coffee and all the fixings from Starbucks for the nurses. They were so happy when we got there. I got undressed and in a gown and then waited for my doctor. She came in a bit later and checked me. She said I made some progress but not much. We talked about going longer and I said I could just feel that it was time. (as I sit here thinking about all the happened next I still get upset. It wasn't major and I have a healthy baby but still I feel it all could have been avoided.)

My OB decided to trust me and she got the super long hook out, told dh to turn around and she broke my water. Then all hell broke loose. It was so filled with meconium that she threw her hand up there and dug around more then she ever had before. She made my nurse run and get a ultrasound machine but she didn't tell me why. So I freaked out, then she calmed me down and said she thought at some point the baby must have turned and he was breech. She was still feeling around and it hurt like hell, but I didn't care. I would have delivered med free right there to fix everything. DS was head down he just had a big head and a lot of poop in with him.

My OB said she wanted him out by night time so there was a few things we could do. Now that we had broken my water we had to do something. I didn't want a c-section. I researched everything and I was against one. So since my body wasn't doing the process as it needed to they started pitocin. My OB went to her office and left me in the care of my nurse. They started my pitocin higher then normal to try and rush things and it brought on really painful contractions. I was taking them ok, then the anesthesiologist  came in and he was so nice and talked to me about everything and I decided to get an epidural since they would keep turning the pitocin up and my contractions would get worse.

The epidural went in fine and my inlaws got to the hospital, so then I was asked if I wanted a catheter or to pee in a bed pan. So I went the bed pan route, DH was a trooper. He knew I would be uncomfortable with a nurse or his mom so he would help me and hold it. He was so great about it all.  My OB came back and she checked me and there was not much progress. They decided for me to get up on all fours and rock for a little bit. I did this and my nurse had to go into an emergency c-section with my doctor. So another nurse came in and my OB explained what she had me doing on all fours and told her to have me return to sitting in a half hour. (I never heard the time amount she said.)

So 2 hours later my nurse had never checked on me again and my husband had tried to find her many times. I was in a ton of pain and stiff from the position I was in. My OB came in and she said something like oh good your trying the rocking again. My DH said umm no, no one told her to flip shes been this way the whole time. From the epi and being in that position I could barely move. I was in tears, my OB and DH flipped me back and then my OB apologized and she said she would be right back. While she was gone my nurse I loved so much came in and made it all better.  She said it was inexcusable all that had happened and that i was left like that.

My OB came back and checked me and there was still no progress, my Mom had just gotten there and I had been on pitocin for 10 hours. My mom, mother in law, husband and OB left the room. When they came back I knew what was coming. They wanted a c-section, now it was all about getting DS out since the water was broken and all the meconium was there. I explained my c-section fears and we talked and at 9 I went in to the OR. It was DH, OB, Anesthesiologist, 2 nurses (one for me and one for baby), a second back up OB and a student. 

They added more epidural medicine and then they started. I could feel stuff so I freaked out. I have always had issues with going under and pain medicine. So they gave me an extra kind of epi and on we went. I had my legs and arms strapped to the table. I know this is necessary but still its not fun.  DH opted to watch it all so they only made it so I couldn't see. I was in and out while DH watched. The anesthesiologist kept rubbing my head and reassuring me. It turns out I feel asleep. They woke me to show me the baby and say goodbye to DH. He took the baby out to meet people and I fell asleep again.

The whole c-section took over 2 hours. My OB moved me to post op and explained that DS was so stuck that she literally had to get on the table to pull him out. (she is 5') There was an audible pop when he head was pulled from my pelvic bone. She then started apologizing. Apparently he was way to big and my pelvis never opened and that is why my body never read the signs to get him out and she wishes she had done the c-section 2 weeks ago. All I wanted was my baby.

He was brought to me and I breastfed right away. The nurse said he was a champion breastfeeder he latched right on. Tristan was 8 lbs 11.4oz and 21 inches long. We got into our room, my family said goodbye and it was after midnight. Tristan was born at 10:05 pm. I breastfed one more time and Tristan's pediatrician wanted him kept in the nursery all night to watch for signs of distress from being in the meconium for so long. 

I leared many lessons over the next few days. You need to tell the nurse when they take the baby to bring him back so he can breastfeed. I assumed since they fed twice they would bring him back to feed. Nope he got bottles and a pacifier for the next 12 hours. I got him retrained to feed properly but it took work. Also it hurts like hell but get out of bed when you have a c-section. TRUST ME. It heels so much faster. Also at my hospital you have to ask for your pain meds. So if I forgot to ask they would wear off and I was in horrible pain. DH kept time and they only wore off a few times.  Walk walk walk in the hospital. DH pushed DS and I would walk beside him. We would walk past the soon to be mommies and they said seeing the baby and knowing what was coming made everything easier in a way. I am a talker so I talked to everyone. Well day 2 in the hospital brought closing day on the house. So DH left and in one day closed on the house and moved us in. My mom came and stayed with me. Truth be told she was no help at all.

So get people you know will help and take care of your baby. There are some Moms that wanted to sleep the whole time in the hospital and left their babies in the nursery.  Not me after that first 12 hours he was gone I did everything. It taught me a lot and we really bonded. I also limited outside visitors. It gave DH, DS and I time to bond as a family.

My first day home was rough. None of the beds were comfy so I lived on the couch. I followed the rules but still walked a lot. My OB and Tristan's pedi were shocked at how quickly I recovered. To this day my OB still apologizes. I get upset but I know I have a son I love and I would go through way worse to get him here healthy and safe.

If you read this far thanks! Sorry it was so long.

Re: My birthstory (almost a year later I am ready to talk about it) a failed induction, 2 week late, c-s

• Options
    Thank you for sharing. I can only imagine how difficult that was and appreciate your willingness to relive it to share it with us.
  • Options
    Thank you for sharing.  We also had a failed induction and ended up with a c-section.  I had GD and am 4'11" so doc thought the baby was bigger and wouldnt fit through my pelvis.  It turns out she was 7 lbs 1 oz (and I think she wouldv'e fit just fine).  I had previously had gallbladder surgery and already knew how much pain I was in for with the surgery, so the mere mention of c-section sent me to tears. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I'm so sorry you had a bad L&D experience!  If you and DH decide to have another, hopefully that story will be much more pleasant.  I am just so happy that your LO is happy and healthy! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

No one knows your body like you.  Sorry you had to go through so much, but glad to see you have a handsome healthy LO.

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Your baby is beautiful. Sorry abbout everything you had to go through!
  • Options

imageondjima:
    Your baby is beautiful. Sorry about everything you had to go through!

Thanks!

• Options
    imagekellyperk85:

I'm so sorry you had a bad L&D experience!  If you and DH decide to have another, hopefully that story will be much more pleasant.  I am just so happy that your LO is happy and healthy! 

Me too and we are having another one! Your LO is so adorable!

• Options
    thanks for sharing your story.  glad he is happy and healthy.  i like you, don't like pain meds, and i hope to not have a c-section.  you gave some good tips too about being with the baby as soon as you can and breastfeeding.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"