Baby Showers
Options

OOT family

So I am having my shower on Saturday.

My mother is the only family member who will be attending. I live out of town ( 6 hours away). Friends from my hometown are coming but NO family. I am a little upset about it.

Am I being too sensitive?

Re: OOT family

• Options
    I would be upset too...Is the shower where u live or where you are from?
  • Options

Where I live... There was enough time to plan and get discounted rooms. I go home for most family functions. I just don't think it's fair. I think they are selfish!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    You feel what you feel, you know?  I'm sorry they're not coming, but maybe you can focus on your fabulous friends.
  • Options

My whole family is in Illinois. I am in MD too. I would not expect any of them to come here for a shower. It would be dissappointing but there are way to many of them...

Is there talk of having a shower at home?

• Options

I wouldn't travel 6 hours for a shower.

I'm not saying you're unreasonable to feel disappointed. I just don't think it's completely off that your family aren't travelling.

I agree with pp, focus on your friends who are making the effort and have lots of fun with them. 

Elizabeth 5yrs old Jane 3yrs old

• Options

It's certainly ok to feel the way you are feeling. But like everyone has said, enjoy the people who are coming. Chances are, as much as your family is excited for you and probably wants to be there, having to drive 6 hours and get a hotel room for a baby shower is a lot and maybe they would rather come when LO is born.

Enjoy your shower to the fullest and don't let that get you down!

• Options

I would NEVER travel 6 hours for a shower.  It's fine to be sad, but it's not fair to be mad at them or to call them selfish.  If it was "oh so important" that they come, then your mom could have thrown you a shower where they all live and YOU could have been the one to travel.

Showers are not the "be all end all" of events.  Weddings are.  The actual birth is.  Baptisms are.  I'd be MUCH more likely to travel 6 hours to actually meet the BABY, but not to come and watch you open a bunch of gifts.  A SHOWER is not all that important - please put it in perspective. 

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Options
    Try and be positive. As everyone before me has said, showers are not what is important. It is a lot to ask people to travel 6 hours and pay for hotel...and a gift! Times are hard for a lot of people now. I am sure your family will be sending you gifts when the baby is born. Good luck!
  • Options
    imageEastCoastBride:

I would NEVER travel 6 hours for a shower.  It's fine to be sad, but it's not fair to be mad at them or to call them selfish.  If it was "oh so important" that they come, then your mom could have thrown you a shower where they all live and YOU could have been the one to travel.

Showers are not the "be all end all" of events.  Weddings are.  The actual birth is.  Baptisms are.  I'd be MUCH more likely to travel 6 hours to actually meet the BABY, but not to come and watch you open a bunch of gifts.  A SHOWER is not all that important - please put it in perspective. 

AMEN. YesYes

• Options
    I think your family have their priorities out of whack.  It is very easy to carpool (especially FAMILY) and since you always make an effort to go to their functions they need to do the same.  Interesting how your friends ARE able to make it...but family can't.  Hmmm.  If I were you I would no longer be traveling back to any more of their functions.  BTW...my DD's DH's family all lived out of state (5 hours) and they had no problems driving.  My DD sent hotel info and offered her home to up to 8 people if they didn't mind sleeping on air mattresses.  Most drove back home but some stayed.  There were probably about 20 that came (about 6 were friends).
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"