Special Needs

global delays?

Does anyone here have any experience with this diagnosis?

I am terribly confused because The SLP wrote global delays on her evaluation form yet DD didn't qualify for services because she tested normal (although she tested slightly below average in expressive - she wants 100 words and DD has about 35-45) but average for receptive/cognitive.

She also tested average for fine motor and social skills.

She does test about 4 months behind for gross motor and receives PT for this.

So, why would the SLP write global delays? Doesn't that mean delayed in all areas (expressive, cognitive, fine, gross and social)? Of course, I receive the letter yesterday and it was too late to call her for an explanation. And geesh, if she IS globally delayed, wouldn't that qualify her for services???

Re: global delays?

• I am a SLP and I usually include the doctor's diagnosis on my report as well.  Maybe your pediatrician wrote that on the script. And if that is the case, I wouldn't worry too much about that.  Sometimes they are not sure what to put on those things and they write down the strangest and not always appropriate to the child things.  
  • I'm with PP...from a SLP viewpoint, we usually have to put whatever diagnosis the pedi put on the scrip (prescription) SOMEWHERE in our evaluation reports.  I know it's hard, but try to not read too much into it until you talk to the SLP.  I hope she has a good explanation for you!
  • Loading the player...
  • My son got a diagnosis of global delays when he was 16 months old from EI. At the time, he tested delayed in all areas of development.

Fast foward 3 years later, and he has lost the lable.  He still has fine motor and (minor) social delays but has cought up in the other areas.  In fact, he is now ahead cognitivly and presents like a typical 4.5 year old now.

-Maria

• Ditto what everyone said about delays in 2 or more areas.  DS has a fairly significant speech delay and just enough fine motor to qualify for services, and what his pedi and EI put on forms is global delay.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"