Special Needs
Options

feeling very guilty about his meds...

dek has been on keppra and depakote since he was 9 months old after having his seizures. he has been seizure free since then (YAY) but i was just reading through the side effects of the drugs on the epilepsy site and now feel awful that he could be suffering from these and not able to tell us since he isn't talking yet. i kind of chalk everything up to the usual, teething woes, tiredness, etc...but now feel horribly guilty that perhaps he's having massive headaches or feeling depressed. :(

the saddest part is that i will not mess with the meds at all until we start to wean, god willing, after 2 years seizure free. poor little guy.

thanks for listening.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: feeling very guilty about his meds...

• Options
    I'm there with you.  We put our oldest on Keppra after his 3rd seizure.  He was 2 1/2.  We were worried about such a powerful drug on such a young brain and his development.  The neurologist said something that really helped.  He said once a brain has a seizure it's easier for it to do it again as the pathway is there.  By suppressing the seizures, Keppra is teaching the brain not to do that and forming new pathways that don't cause seizures.  It made me feel like we were giving him something to help him vs harm him.  Keppra has one of the least side effects of any meds.  I hope this helps you.  Seizures suck, and here's to 2 years seizure free for both of our DC's!!
  • Options

DS isn't on any specific long term meds, but I still feel guilty when I have to give them to him.  I am not one to run to drugs myself (prefer to try natural remedies and just wait it out), so it feels very odd to give them to my tiny kid.

But, with kids there is a smaller margin of error.  You can't play the wait and see game as easily as with an adult (and probably not at all with seisures) because they can't tell you when they start to feel a little worse.  You never know quite what is going on until time has passed and you can analyze all the symptoms in hindsight.

Whether it is a ehadache or teething pain doesn't really matter in the end, if whatever you do to treat it helps with the symptoms.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I completely understand.  DD has been on Keppra since she was 5 months old so at this point she has been on it longer then she was ever not on meds.  I wonder sometimes if she would act differently if not on the Keppra.  I just think back to all of the seizure episodes though and know it is the best thing for her right now.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"