Special Needs

Any other parents of kids with hearing loss?

We have 2 boys...one 5 and our little one month old was just diagnosed. They both have a mild to moderate loss and was just wondering if there was anyone going through the same thing and if you've had genetic testing done and if anyone had any experience aiding an infant-our LO gets his hearing aids in 2 weeks! No one in our family has hearing loss..so our ENT will be doing genetic testing in the near future. TIA!

Re: Any other parents of kids with hearing loss?

• Hi...my 5 1/2 month daughter was diagnosed with severe to profound hearing loss at birth.  No one in our family has any hearing loss so we were completely shocked.  We will be doing genetic testing with her next month.  She was fitted her her hearing aids at 2 months.  The first few months of her wearing them went relatively smooth.  But lately she has discovered them and is constantly pulling them out!    Please let me know if you  have any other questions or want to talk some more.

Good luck!

• I dont have a child with hearing loss, but I do have a husband with hearing loss (so its kinda the same thing).

He has a tendancy to lose them so if you can get your child to put then in a certian place whenever he takes them out it could he helpful. even if he takes them off when he isnt supposed to if you can get him to put then in once place it would be amazing (granted, near impossible to do, but would still be great).

As for the earmolds there is one that fits into the outter ear as well as inside the ear canal. This one is great because they stay in place more and are harder to take out so it might deter the kids from doing it! I wish I could remember what exactly they are called!

Hope I didnt step over the line sharing my experence since its not my child!

• Loading the player...
  • imagePokes:

As for the earmolds there is one that fits into the outter ear as well as inside the ear canal. This one is great because they stay in place more and are harder to take out so it might deter the kids from doing it! I wish I could remember what exactly they are called!

Hope I didnt step over the line sharing my experence since its not my child!

You totally didn't step over the line! Thanks!

Our 5yo has aids, they have to use behind the ear until they are in their teens at least because they grow so fast. He had to get new ear molds made about every 2 months for a while.

If you don't mind me asking, what is your husbands loss? And was he born with it? Just want an idea of how life may be for my LOs as adults.

• My son was born deaf, he is now 3 months old. We had genetic testing done and my husband and I are carriers of a flawed Connexin 26 gene that caused his deafness. We had no idea that this ran in either sides of our familes. I guess it was one of those crazy ressive genes. We now have a 25% chance  of any other children we have to also be deaf. Our son just got his hearing aids, but has  no response so far so we are heading towards getting him Cochlear implants in the future.
  • I just saw this post, but I responded to your latest post about the hanna anderrson hats to keep the aids on an infant.

I have 2 boys, and my oldest, the 2 yr old has a mild to moderatly severe loss. (Mostly moderate) we had the Connexin genetic testing done, and it came back negative. That is the most commen gene, but there can be other genes that they either don't test for, or haven't discovered yet. My son has a 6 yr old cousin with a similar loss, and it was genetic for him, so we think genetics still might play a role. I have a 3 month old and so far he has passed all of his newborn hearing screenings. He has another one in a week or so to double check. When my 2 yr old was born, we started him in EI and he started speech therapy at 6 months. I credit the early detection to all of his progress. They way he responds and listens, you would never know he had a hearing loss and wore aids. 

• I am going through this with my DD.  She has mild/moderate hearing loss.  It would be great to keep in touch & share experiences with you all.  You can reach me at caroline321@yahoo.com

Photobucket Sydney Elise 5/9/09 Kate Reese 8/2/11
  • I have mild/moderate hearing loss. Did not get hearing aids until I was 25. I came from a very loud family :-)  My DS was born with Muenke syndrome and has the same hearing loss as I do. After doing genetic testing we found out that I have the same gene.

We are going through the process of fitting hearing aids for our little guy. I have the in-the-ear ones, people never notice them. At first I was a little self-conscious about them, but not anymore. I feel empowered now that I can hear everything. Hopefully I will be able to pass this message along to my DS, especially when he starts going to school :-)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"