Special Needs
Options

Validation

I don't know why.... but one simple little line of VALIDATION from our pedi today made me tear up.

He has never said anything about being on board with Elijah's autism... and though he does not hesitate to sign off on any of the referrals, etc... he has always come into the room and stated how smart, and well adjusted, and healthy, etc that he is. Not that ANY of that is untrue - but in the days when I needed someone to listen to my concerns, he wasn't there.

Today, Elijah pushed a stool into baby sister, hurting her in front of the Pedi & didn't even notice. Pedi says 'wow. working on that self-regulation piece right now I take it? Not quite there yet'....and as he walked off... I just about lost it (you know in a good way).

If nothing else, my Pedi is coming around to the diverse face of autism. 

I felt validated.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Validation

• Options

There has not been one doctor that listened to me when I wanted my son check out for autism.  I knew something wasn't right with him since he was prob 2 - 3 years old.  I even had DH telling me I was crazy.  I changed ped. because he wouldn't listen to me.  And his new one didn't want to hear me either.   Even the physch. doctor that manages his ADHD medication, thought I was crazy.  I finally said screw it, and took him to a place that specializes in autism.  Of course my insurance didn't cover it, but I really didn't care.  And guess what, they told me he has Aspbergers. 

So when I told his physch. doctor and his ped, they were like "So why did you take him there again"  Needless to say, I don't think I will ever get a validation or anything from any of my son's doctors.

(sorry for rambling)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"