Special Needs
Options

Where do I begin??

My son Hunter will be having surgery on Monday the 28th. He and I a=will be in the hospital until October 31st. The hospital is about 2 1/2 hrs away from home.

Where do I begin to pack? Fun stuff to bring? Anything eles you can think of?

Thanks  a bunch!!

Re: Where do I begin??

• Options

Wow - that's a long time...sorry to hear that.  Besides the toys, I think the best things I had when DS was in the hospital were the portable DVD player and an umbrella stroller to push DS around the hospital.  Perhaps a wagon would work for you?  Oh, and for me definately my own pillows and linens.

GL

• Options
    Thanks I never thought to bring a pillow. My son is 9 a little too old for a stroller. But they do have a wagon we could use.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I got airlifted with DD a month ago when she fell ill with meningitis (such a nightmare) so didn't have anything, not even a bra as we went to the ER in the early morning and I didn't take the time to change from pjs) and we were there for 2 weeks, 3 hrs drive away from home. 

So, from my experience, I also definately agree with your own linens and pillows.  The most important thing after that was my laptop.  Actually I went 3 days using the computers loaned from the hospital and they were terrible.  My dad bought and sent us a hp netbook (mini laptop) and I'm actually using it right now.  That was such a blessing...as a connection to the rest of our world, and a retreat from the monotony of the hospital.  Third, any personal toiletries you usually use.  Bring your razor...as much as you will tend DS and be there for his needs, you need to keep some of your usual personal care habits the same.  That really helped keep my overall outlook. Know what I mean?

How old is ds?  My DD is 1.5, and I ended up buying a boppy since she really needed to cuddle and the hospital rocker was terrible on my arms.  Also, it was such a hard chair seat I ended up sitting on the boppy as a doughnut by midweek.  So at least a chair cushion would help.

We were at a children's hospital so they had all the toys we needed.  Stuff for me was the only thing not provided by the hospital.

Sorry you are facing this!  Best wishes to you and your family.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

Oh man.. when my 1st born had his operation (he had 4 of them) he would be in for only about 2wks at a time.

We bought a duffle bag (and that was just for mystuff). of course sets of clothes (all comfy and warm) pillows and not just one, you'll need them. If yoy have a laptop, YES. If you don't, really think about buying one. We just got one for like 350 bucks news at compusa. It's not fancy, but it's great for the internet.

All your grooming needs. Do they have a washer and dryer in the hospital? Ours did, but I only used it like once. The hospital was so cold, it's not like I was sweating, so I would just rewear my clothes, but since you'll be gone so long see if they do and if so bring some soap.

Food and snack and drinks... It gets soooo expensive to eat at the hospital. Our place had a frig and micro. I would bring lots of cans food that I could heat up so not all meals are take out or cafe food at the hospital. maybe like one bowl and cup and set of utensils (if they do have a lil kitchen area for you)

of course toys and game and such for your son - Most hospitals have game rooms for tots and teens, but 9 is that weird age inbetween and to be honest the teen rooms normally are kinda lame. so there is a chance that they don't have the movies he likes or some of the game systems might not work.

If you can, maybe ask his teacher to have the kids make him cards while he is gone and then like half way through your stay you can give him the cards his class mates made for him and hang them on the walls.

I wish you guys the best of luck. It sucks that the hospital is so far away from home, so I am guessing he won't be able to have his friend come and visit, but he might make a friend on the ward. and don't forget to befriend some of the other parents on the ward, so times it's nice to talk w/ th eother parents b/c they undertsand what you are going through.

some hospitals have activities kids and sometimes for the parents too. If he does not think they are LAME... try and go to a few that sound ok,  even if it's not something he would normall want to do, you get desperate while in the hospital and even lame stuff seems fun. Sometimes they have ppl come in w/ animals to cheer up the kids

if you think of stuff while at the hospital don't be afraid to ask ppl who are coming to visit to bring it for you, they will love to be a help to you, but they don't know how.

My son was in the hospital for halloween and they had some of the staff come dressed up and tricker treated to all the rooms and gave out candy to the kids. it was nice. He was too young to understand at the time, but the other kids lite up.

best of luck!

imageimage
    Max 4-08-08 and Michael 2-03-91 (19 years olds)
    image Both boys were born w/ hirschsprung's disease, you find yourself facing this dx, please feel free to ask me any questions.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"