Birth Stories

Cytotec?

Has anyone been induced or received cytotec to speed up labor? I am being induced Monday morning and I am going to be put on it insread of cervidil. I have read a lot about it on the internet and most of the information isnt extremely positive (or positive at all for that matter). I was wondering if anyone else has used it for labor progression. If so, do you have an opinion or advice on it?

TIA!

Re: Cytotec?

• You have to be so excited right now to be meeting your baby soon. I know I would be.

Cytotec or cervidil...doesn't really matter. They both do the same thing it just depends on what the hospital chooses to use.

Focus on the bottom line. They have your best interests at heart and only want to get your baby out safely and make sure you are both ok. Don't second guess everything you're doing now, you've come to far. Go with it, if you have a question then ask but enjoy your day!

And we want to see pictures. We just love babies here. Good Luck.

• Oh, almost forgot. Cervidil helps to soften and thin the cervix. Pitocin helps to speed up labor. Both are used as labor progression aids. So if they are giving you cytotec then ask them why they use that instead of pitocin.
  • Loading the player...
  • I could not DISAGREE more with the previous poster. There is a reason you have read negative things about cytotec/misoprostol online, it is a drug that is NOT FDA approved for induction of labor and the manufacturer has issued warnings to OBs to stop using it for that purpose because it can cause abortion.

It can be a very dangerous drug (especially if you have had a previous C-section) & my OB practice will not use it for inductions. It has caused uterine rupture, maternal and fetal death as well as a host of other not as serious side effects. Ina May Gaskin devotes an entire chapter of her book, Ina May's Guide to Childbirth to the discussion of cytotec as does the book, The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth.

I would never consent to it being used in my induction. Why take the unnecessary risk (no matter how small it may be) when they can easily use a Foley cathether or Cervadil?? At least both of those could be removed immediately in the case of bad side effects. 

You have EVERY right to speak with your OB about your concerns and request another induction method...

Not trying to scare you, but I am glad you asked the question. Good luck on Monday - wishes for a smooth induction and an easy L&D :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker TTC since Dec '04 Severe MFI-diagnosed 12/06 3 failed Fresh IVFs FET #1 - BFP!! 2 blasts tx on day 6. Beta #1 8dp6dt = 56, Beta #2 = 600, Beta #3 = 5600 My Blog Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • i'm an L/D RN, sometimes it works and then it doesn't. sometimes  we have to use Pitocin to aid in inducing labor.
  • I used it for my m/c in May and would never in my life do it again or tell anyone to do it. I know labor is so much worse... However, it casued me to have contractions and I passed out from the pain even after taking 3 Tylenol 3....
  • imageemmyloustu:

I could not DISAGREE more with the previous poster. There is a reason you have read negative things about cytotec/misoprostol online, it is a drug that is NOT FDA approved for induction of labor and the manufacturer has issued warnings to OBs to stop using it for that purpose because it can cause abortion.

It can be a very dangerous drug (especially if you have had a previous C-section) & my OB practice will not use it for inductions. It has caused uterine rupture, maternal and fetal death as well as a host of other not as serious side effects. Ina May Gaskin devotes an entire chapter of her book, Ina May's Guide to Childbirth to the discussion of cytotec as does the book, The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth.

I would never consent to it being used in my induction. Why take the unnecessary risk (no matter how small it may be) when they can easily use a Foley cathether or Cervadil?? At least both of those could be removed immediately in the case of bad side effects. 

You have EVERY right to speak with your OB about your concerns and request another induction method...

Not trying to scare you, but I am glad you asked the question. Good luck on Monday - wishes for a smooth induction and an easy L&D :)

I agree with this.  There are actually many other books that talk about the misuse of this drug (this drug is NOT manufactured for this reason).  I too am an OB nurse and it makes me sick that my hospital continues to use it as an induction agent.  I would never agree to have a cytotec induction...

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"