Birth Stories

Caroline's Birth Story

I went to the doctor Monday morning, August 31 ? still no change!  Caroline had moved from a -3 station to a -2 station.  Big whoop!  I was a little discouraged, but I left being assured my baby would be with me soon, regardless!  I had been sitting at 3cm, 75% effaced for 2 weeks.  I had contractions through those two weeks all the time.  Not painless ones, either!  It was a long 2 weeks.  They came all the time and some I was even able to time consistently?then they would quit and not come back.  I took many, many baths during those two weeks.  The warm water was the only thing that made me feel better! 

After my doctor?s appointment Monday morning, I came home and slept the majority of the morning and afternoon.  I had only slept 2 hours the night before!  When I woke up, I was having contractions that felt?different.  I just couldn?t decide what made them feel so different!  Then I realized they were starting in my sides and wrapping around my belly.  I refused to time them!  I had been timing contractions for 2 weeks with absolutely nothing to show for it.  I refused to get my hopes up and have them crashed again!  Around 4:30pm, I was really starting to wonder if this might be ?it? so I called Judd and told him he might want to think about coming home.  He didn?t believe me!!  He said he would get off as early as he could, but since I still sounded like I was fine, he figured he still had plenty of time.  Around 6pm I decided I was going to get some food?because if this was ?it? I knew I wouldn?t be able to eat for a while.  I got back home with my food and sat down at the table.  Just a few bites into my food I felt a small gush.  ?Did I just pee all over myself?!? I ran to the bathroom and changed clothes.  I went back to my dinner?and felt another small gush.  I was trying not to get myself worked up for a huge letdown.  But just in case, I hopped in the shower.  It was in the shower that I *KNEW* it was time.  I called Judd from inside the shower and told him that my water was continuously leaking!  He was so shocked and surprised!  He was hurrying to find a ride home!  I shaved my legs and jumped out of the shower and called my doctor.  Judd got home and we finished loading the car, and I started cleaning (ha!) and we jumped in the car and headed to the hospital.

We got there around 8:30pm and I got hooked up and my doctor checked me.  I still wasn?t in TOO much pain ? but I definitely had to breathe through the contractions and concentrate.   I couldn?t believe my ears when he told me I was 6cm, 100% and 0 station.  I nearly fell off the bed!  The anesthesiologist came in and talked to me about the epidural.  I told him I wasn?t sure if I wanted it?then BAM ? I felt a terrible, terrible contraction.  I quickly told him I had changed my mind and I wanted it right then!  He started setting up and I had 3-4 contractions (I can?t remember) before we finally got it.  I was so relieved.  The pain finally went away and my legs went into a weird numbness.  I couldn?t feel the pain, but I could still move my toes.  It was so strange!  People were coming in and out of the room and family was starting to arrive.  Soon, the doctor walked in and checked me and I was 9.5cm ? almost time to push!  He had me do a couple of practice pushes.  He said we?d start pushing really soon!  I finally got nervous.  Judd got nervous too!  My sister came in the room to take pictures of the birth so Judd could be involved with me.  She also counted my contractions for me.  Judd was grateful because he actually got to be pretty involved and got to watch everything.  He originally didn?t want to see anything, but changed his mind at the last minute!  They turned my epidural off so I could feel to push?which scared the mess out of me!  Then, it was time to push.  We started pushing at 11:30pm.  After 30 minutes of pushing, my sweet little girl was born.  I had to have an episiotomy, which has been the worst part of healing.  But seriously, seeing her come out and hearing her cry and seeing the look on everyone?s faces was such a rush.  Luckily, I finished pushing before the epi wore completely off.  Seeing her for the first time was one of the best moments of my life.  Judd and I were amazed.  I couldn?t believe we had created this amazing life!  She amazes me a little more every day. 

Breastfeeding has been hard.  We had some jaundice issues in the beginning ? she?s fine now ? but it put a damper on the breastfeeding.  I was so sore, even though she had a perfect latch!  We?re doing much better in the breastfeeding department now and she?s eating so well! 

Caroline Elise

6lbs, 9.7oz

19 ? inches long

Born 11:52pm

• DD1: August 2009
  • DD2: December 2010
  • DS: August 2012
  • M/C 9/2013, 12/2013 
  • DD3: October 2014 - April 2015 Miss you baby girl.
  • Current Due date:  April 14, 2016
Musings of a Farmer's Wife

Re: Caroline's Birth Story

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"