Success after IF

Stella has an extra toe

Well...she has an extra bone in her pinky toe (which was going to be a 6th toe).  Her daddy has the same thing!  We had no idea it was something that could be inherited.  It's the funniest thing!  I noticed it the night she was born when I was checking out every nook and cranny on her body.  I talked to our pediatrician about it and he's certain it's nothing to worry about.  However, he's going to refer us to an orthopedic surgeon so we can find out about "fixing" it.  Depending what it entails, I'm sure we'll have it fixed. I don't want her embarrased by her toe when she's older and wants to wear sandles and/or get pedicures.  We may change our mind, but for now I just want to get it checked out.  It's pretty funny!  If she was a boy, I'd for sure leave it.  It would be "cool" to all the boys, I'm sure.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Stella has an extra toe

• This pic shows it a little more clearly. 

• I have a friend who has two daughters, both born with an extra thumb.  My friend had an extra thumb at birth, too, so it was something that was "passed down" to the kids.  She had the extra thumb removed when each kid was about a year old and the surgery was simple and the kids recovery time was practically non-existent. 

Stella is adorable!

After 2 rounds of IVF & 2 rounds of FET, we were blessed with identical twin girls!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • It's cute:) I know I would have it checked out too. She'll get a kick out of this pic one day!

For DD - IVF/ICSI #1 - BFP / For DS - dIUI #1 - BFP Dx:severe MFI-Y Chromosome Microdeletion Isabel born 10-15-08! / Baby Boy EDD July 2013 imageLily  pie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Bless her heart!!  And her sweet little foot!! 

I'm going to send you a PM on a similar subject... 

• I am with you about at least having it checked out. Cool pic though!
  • Ironically, I once read that the gene for six fingers/toes is dominant over the one for five.  Cool pic though!  Anne Boleyn had a sixth finger.
  • i'm with you - i think "abnormalities" like that are cute.  cal's right ear was folded over when he was born.  it has righted itself quite a bit but still a little droopy.  i think it's adorable but i do worry that someday kids will make fun of it. 

on another hereditary note, DH, his brother, and dad all have a baby tooth in the same spot - the adult tooth never came in!  stuff like this is fascinating, isn't it?

Childhood cancer (DH) + chemo + radiation = 0 sperm.
    LO #1 - 1 unmedicated/self-monitored IUI w/ donor sperm.
    LO #2 - 1 m/c, 2 BFNs, 4th IUI worked (unmedicated/self-monitored with new donor sperm).
    Life is beautiful!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageSeaSoul:

i'm with you - i think "abnormalities" like that are cute.  cal's right ear was folded over when he was born.  it has righted itself quite a bit but still a little droopy.  i think it's adorable but i do worry that someday kids will make fun of it. 

on another hereditary note, DH, his brother, and dad all have a baby tooth in the same spot - the adult tooth never came in!  stuff like this is fascinating, isn't it?

My husband is also missing 2 adult teeth- like his dad. No clue about DS yet. I have an extra bone in my ankle but you wouldn't know by looking at it- just gets sprained more easily! 

Stella will always have something unique to tell people about herself! 

imageimage
    Married 8.13.2005, M/C 12/8/06- 5 weeks, M/C 2/27/07- 7 weeks, M/C w/ D&C 8/10/09-6.5 weeks *Charles Lawrence born 5/2/08 @ 3:14am, 7lb 8oz, 20.5 inches. Clomid, Crinone and baby aspirin. *Alexandra Claire born 9/14/10 @ 9:52am 6lb 14oz, 20.5 inches. Femara, Crinone and baby aspirin. Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • But what a sweet little extra toe bone it is :)

I'd probably get it checked out too... but little quirks like that just make our babies all the more sweet... Like my little Jack and all of his scars, and his 1 blue and 1 brown eye... and Sophia and Henry with their floppy little ears...

I think it's a cute little piggy!!

Hannah

• Those are some adorable baby toes :) I would also have it checked out though, for the same reasons you mentioned.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • DH works in the hospital and saw a baby this week born with 6 fingers on each hand! the 6th was small and did not have a bone so they are just tying them off and they will fall off!
  • Hi there,

I don't post here but saw your post and had to respond.  I have a webbed toe (well, technically there are 2 of them, but they create one large-ish toe.)  It really has never bothered me, even being a girl.  My Mom has one too.  The older I got the less noticeable it was.  My Mom's never bothered her, so she waited until I was old enough to "get it" before asking if I wanted it seperated - which happened to be a very complex surgery with a lot of downtime.  Every once in a while I get a weird comment about it (especially at the nail salon) but nothing ever bugged me enough to want to have major surgery.  I bet sweet little Stella will one day like the uniqueness that her toes have, and it is a special tie to her Daddy.  When my DD was born I was actually dissapointed that she didn't have one!  Is that weird?

Sorry this got so long, just wanted to let you know :)  She is so precious, congratulations!

• imagedana316:

Bless her heart!!  And her sweet little foot!! 

I'm going to send you a PM on a similar subject... 

Thanks Dana.  I PM'ed you back!

• imageqtpa2t:
    Ironically, I once read that the gene for six fingers/toes is dominant over the one for five.  Cool pic though!  Anne Boleyn had a sixth finger.

I've heard this too - no one knows that - it is more dominat, but we all end up with 5!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"