Maryland Babies
Options

Birth Companions-JHU School of Nursing

https://www.son.jhmi.edu/practice/bc/

Has anyone used this? 

What was your experience?

Is it available at any hospital in B-more or only JH? 

Re: Birth Companions-JHU School of Nursing

• Options

We did use this service and had a very good experience.  We met with the doulas ahead of time and talked out in detail what our goals/plan was and what their parameters were.  They seemed to be very open to assisting in any type of birth - we did not have med-free as a goal, our goal was more focused on minimizing stress and pain, while maximizing our ability to make informed decisions and have a good experience.  They had no problem supporting us with this plan.

We delivered at St. Joe's (they are available at any B-more area hospital, and I think Howard County too).  We wound up having a C-section after a day-long failed induction, and even though there was little for our doula to do during "labor" she was an unbelievable help in understanding what was going on, what decisions were upcoming, what things we needed to think about over the course of the day, etc.  For example, when it became apparent that a C-section was a possibility she was invaluable in identifying questions we might want to ask or consider in advance (e.g., would my husband be allowed in the room while the spinal was placed, would my hands be tied, etc).  Some of these we weren't even aware of, and others we knew about but wouldn't have thought to ask until too late - things moved faster than we anticipated once the decision was made.

As a total side bonus, she was also allowed in the OR, so we have pictures of our daughter right after she was born (while my husband was still with me), and then he could be with our daughter while she was checked/cleaned, and the doula came and showed me the pics.  The doula also stayed for a short time out of surgery, which was great support for my husband.

So that was our experience, my husband was hesitant at first but in the end we were both very glad with our decision.

• Options
    I have mixed feelings about the program.  Long story short - we met with the two doulas "assigned" to us in May.  We liked both of them, however the day before I delivered the one called to tell us that she was in CA and the day of delivery we could not get a hold of the other doula or the supervisor from the program.  When we finally were able to get a hold of her she was at work and did not get off until 7:30 pm.  She ended up getting there while I was pushing.  So it wasn't very helpful for us in the traditional doula sense but it was great that she was there because we have pictures that we would never have had otherwise.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I used it and the companion was great!  I ended up with a c/s because the baby was breech but she was there with us in pre-op and through the surgery.  So I can't tell you much about what they would be like in a regular birth.

The pre-meeting was great and what she asked us were really thought provoking questions. 

There were some questions on whether she would be able to attend, since she is in school and had a full time job but she did make it in the end.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"