Birth Stories
Options

my dog's birth story

i hope no one is offended by this post.  we dont have children yet and our dogs are like our kids.  my dog birthed on saturday and it was really special to me and i wanted to share.  i have attended many many births as a midwife and doula but this one by far was the best.

so friday night i put her and the three boys in the bathroom for the night.  big bathroom and tile floors (good for doggy accidents).  when i woke up saturday morning to let everyone out to pee the boys ran to the back door, but she bolted in the spare bedroom and got all up in the box spring.  the cat had shredded the lining under the bed so it made for a nice place for her to hide.  this was my clue that she must be in labor. 

i put the boys out and coaxed her out of the bed and into the other spare bedroom with hardwood floors and a whelping box for her to birth in.  she went into her box and laid down.  well i sat there and stared at her for an hour and nothing was really happening.  she would lay down and then get up and walk in circles and then lay down again.  she repeated this behavior for an hour and it was quite boring to me.  so i made a bed out of U-haul furniture protecting pads and laid down. 

about an hour later she came over and nuzzeled my leg to wake me up.  when i sat up i started asking her what was going on and she turned around to walk into her box and i saw the amniotic sac hanging out of her.  i grabbed my camera (let me know if you want to see birth pics) and started snapping away.  it was so cool that she woke me up in time.  she let me sit less than a foot away from her throughout the whole experience. 

the second one was coming really slowly, like 2 hrs from the first one to the second one.  it was hanging out and then i noticed that she was having problems getting him out.  i wanted to help but i thought i better let her do it.  well after a few mins of that she came over to me and started licking my hand and she laid down right in front of my hand and looked at me.  it was like she wanted help getting the baby out.  well he was stuck to too long and he died, it was so sad.  i cried.  i had to basically pull him out of her and she seemed relieved that i did that.  he was perfect and just looked like he was sleeping.  she was upset when i took him out of the room but i had to.  i'm not sure if she knew he was dead or not. 

by the time i wrapped up the baby that died and came back she had had the next puppy and within the next hour two more came out.  all were born butt first except for one.  they are born in the sac and it was so cool to see the little paws thru the sac.  i had never seen an animal give birth before.  she was so quiet and never made a sound.  she was pretty calm.  i'm going to try to emulate that when i give birth. 

ETA:  Btw-this was a mistake.  Yes, I'm excited about puppies but this wasnn't all about 'the miracle of birth'.  I shouldn't have left unfixed animals in a position where this could happen.  And since then, I have had the male neutered and will be having the female spayed. 

And while this was miraculous and wonderful, it wasn't all daisies and rainbows--we lost a puppy, these puppies need homes, these puppies need to be sputered so as not to repeat the cycle of adding to the overpopulation and creating more poorly bred puppies. *thanks GB*

Re: my dog's birth story

• Options
    Yes
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    hi, thanks for reading.  glad you liked it. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    aww how adorable!!! :)?
    *The Blog* Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Natural M/C : Arabella's Twin Guardian Angel, 7.29.2009.**Natural M/C : 2.20.2010. 18 weeks. Always Loved. 4 weeks.
  • Options

texas, you crack me up.  What a neat thing to witness..sorry about the one puppy though.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Very happy for your and your pooch. Sad to hear about the little one that did not make it - but relieved she let you "help" her - I love my dog so much so much and I just about cried while reading this - you must be so proud of her!
  • Options
    congrats. now go spay the poor dog
  • Options

imageBonzer:
    congrats. now go spay the poor dog

This!

• Options
    Why the hell wasn't your dog spayed?  Stories like this make me realize that there will *never* be an end to the dog overpopulation problem.  Freaking moron.
  • Options
    Also, having a puppy stuck in the birth canal constitutes a medical emergency, idiot.  You're DAMN lucky your dog didn't die along with her puppy.  THIS is exactly why people like you shouldn't breed their dogs, they have no fucking_clue what they are doing and put their dogs lives in danger.
  • Options
    imagetexas77:

the second one was coming really slowly, like 2 hrs from the first one to the second one.  it was hanging out and then i noticed that she was having problems getting him out.  i wanted to help but i thought i better let her do it.  well after a few mins of that she came over to me and started licking my hand and she laid down right in front of my hand and looked at me.  it was like she wanted help getting the baby out.  well he was stuck to too long and he died, it was so sad.  i cried.  i had to basically pull him out of her and she seemed relieved that i did that.  he was perfect and just looked like he was sleeping.  she was upset when i took him out of the room but i had to.  i'm not sure if she knew he was dead or not. 

UMM, YEA!! 

O.M.F.G.  This is disturbing on so many levels. 

Go get your dog spayed!!!!!!!! 

• Options
    Holy freaking lord.  Spay and neuter your dogs, for the love of god.
  • Options
    Seriously?  Are there not enough chihuahuas in the world?  Spay the poor thing pronto.  She didn't ask for this treatment.
  • Options
    Super Angry seriously?!  The pup was stuck for 2 hours and you didn't for one second think "maybe this isn't right"...wouldn't want you as my doula...
    Visit The Nest! BabyFruit Ticker married 4/19/2008
  • Options

That right, there's not millions of chihuahuas sitting in shelters waiting for a home or to be euthanized. Thanks for adding the ever growing pet over population problem.

Having puppies is not "fun" or "cute" for a dog. It is painful and a lot of work the poor dog SHOULDN'T have to go through.

PLEASE SPAY YOUR DOG!

DS #1 born January 2010. DS #2 due June 2014.

• Options
    omg.  you make me want to vomit.  how would you like it if you had a baby and it was stuck in there and no one helped you!??!
  • Options
    I give this story 5 stars! Too cute. Thank you for sharing.
  • Options
    she dident say the puppy was stuck for two hours she said  it took 2 hours for the next puppy to come, ! and secound she probley shouldent have just yanked the puppy out right away! relax people , did you read the part where she said she got her dogs fixed
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Wonderful to have been a witness to it & glad all are OK, unfortunate for the one though.

Agreed the animals need to be fixed; done.
    There is no need for people to bash the hell out of you. OMG, so harsh!!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"