Missouri Babies
Options

Ways to encourage DS to sit up?

DS is a chunky baby, and the pedi told us it would take him a little longer to do some of the gross motor things since he's got so much chub to move around :) He can sit up by himself, but it usually only lasts for about 10-15 seconds before he arches back and tips himself over unless we're there to prop him back up or make him sit back up.  The daycare teachers, DH, and I really think it's more of an issue of him not wanting to use his muscles and sit up rather than not being able to, so I was hoping for some ideas on activities to play with him or specific toys to show him that sitting up can be fun. Suggestions?

TIA!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Ways to encourage DS to sit up?

• Options

Sam loves to sit up...I think a lot of it has to do with her ptosis (droopy eyelid) so she likes to sit up where she can see better than laying on the floor.

That said, we used the bumbo a lot and now we put the boppy around her (basically her sitting in the middle of it) so she gets some support but is sitting on her own partially. She also loves her highchair...while that is supporting her it is still sitting up. 

We use the bumbo tray and Sam loves that too...it hooks onto the bumbo so she can play with toys without dropping them. 

Good Luck!

• Options
    We used to sit there behind them to help support them and made sure to have pleanty of toys around for the girls to play with so they wouldn't be bored. We also used the Boppy as well to set them in the middle and that helped them. They still would slump over, but the Boppy added a little extra support and gave them a softer landing. Continuing to add support behind and around Ben will help him develope those muscles. Slowly he will feel more comfortable and even if the supports are there when he is ready he will no longer use them.  I know it is hard but, just be patient and he will sit up when he is ready. 
    M E L I S S A My Blog

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"