Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

male or female dog?

WHich do you have/did you pick and why?

We need help deciding!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: male or female dog?

• We have one of each. IMO neither one is worse than the other for that reason. 

Instead of worrying about male or female, you should really worry about finding the right breed for your family.

You & your dh should figure out how much you intend to exercise your dog, how much you want to deal with shedding, look into what the breed was bred to do, etc.

For example a dog with fur instead of hair will shed a lot more than a hair dog. A herding dog is going to herd you guys if not trained correctly and will need an awful lot of exercise. A terrier or hound will be harder to train in general because they were originally bred to work independently of their owners to find prey. 

So again, be realistic about what you're capable of in terms of exercise, walking, training, etc and go from there.  

ETA: We have 2 scottish terriers and couldn't be happier with them. But they needed a lot of training.  

• I grew up with all female dogs, so thats what I went with.  My grandparents had a couple males, and if they had accidents in the house, they would pee on furniture or couches because lifting their leg, the stream would hit higher.  But that's not a reason not to get a male dog LOL.

Some people prefer the demeanor of one to the other.  Are you looking at a specific breed?  If so, check out the AKC website and they may have characteristics of a male vs. female listed for that breed.

If you are adopting an animal, it will most likely not be a purebred so I would just go by the shelters description of the dog's personality. 

• Loading the player...
  • Female...

- more maternal

- not as wild

- less likely to "roam" leave the home

- easier to housebreak (no clue if this is really true since I have only had female dogs but out surrent dog was trained within 2 weeks and rings a bell to go out - I did not want her scratching a door)

- more affectionate 

• imageCrazycrustacean:

Instead of worrying about male or female, you should really worry about finding the right breed for your family.

Agreed.  I've had one of each and both were great dogs.  The male did like to leg-hump, though, even after he was neutered. 

Wife, mom, Ob/Gyn resident
    Sarah - 12/23/2008
    Alex - 9/30/2011

"I say embrace the total geek in yourself and just enjoy it. Life is too short to be cool." - Shirley Manson, Garbage
  • In my experience girl dogs have been better.  I have only had one boy dog and he just wasn't as loving as my girl dogs of the same breed.  I agree with pp's you should find the right breed for sure.  Good luck....so exciting.
  • I've always had male dogs. No particular reason I guess.
  • We've decided on a  short hair mini dachshund because they don't shed a ton, and our house and yard are on the smallish side. We go for daily walks, but nothing super intense, so I know we can't handle a bigger dog. Full grown these ones would be under 10lbs. We went today and I had the intention of picking out a girl. My DH fell in love with a sweet little boy.

I want to be able to put pink collars on our new member of the family. My dh said I still could. haha.  So, we said we would call the breeder tomorrow. 

• I agree on the breed/demeanor meaning more than the sex.  We have had both, and we loved them the same but for different reasons.  Both were fixed the very day we could (early on).  The female was more maternal but definitely more moody.  The male has never humped, is super, super affectionate but does have more behavioral issues (he acts like a puppy even though he is not).  They both pee still when they get excited, despite their age, and probably always will.  Good luck!
  • I agree that you should focus more on breed. Even though Jack was an impulse purchace (that we'd though about off and on) We definately read up on the breed before we agreed to buy him. He's a min schnauzer, great with the babies, friendly, and generally awesome. He is a bit of a runner if he gets loose, so we have to be mindful. Good luck!

• imagelhuttlinger:

We've decided on a  short hair mini dachshund because they don't shed a ton, and our house and yard are on the smallish side. We go for daily walks, but nothing super intense, so I know we can't handle a bigger dog. Full grown these ones would be under 10lbs. We went today and I had the intention of picking out a girl. My DH fell in love with a sweet little boy.

I want to be able to put pink collars on our new member of the family. My dh said I still could. haha.  So, we said we would call the breeder tomorrow. 

My good friend has a 4 month old mini and she is so stinking cute!!  I always tell her I am going to steal her and bring her home.  She is so small FI wouldn't even notice.  I just want to eat her nose and ears up.  Ok now I might have to go see her today! lol

Pregnancy Ticker

DS1 12-31-1999, DS2 5-7-2008, DS3 8-3-2010
  • imagelhuttlinger:

We've decided on a  short hair mini dachshund because they don't shed a ton, and our house and yard are on the smallish side. We go for daily walks, but nothing super intense, so I know we can't handle a bigger dog. Full grown these ones would be under 10lbs. We went today and I had the intention of picking out a girl. My DH fell in love with a sweet little boy.

Well, there ya go.  I personally believe dogs pick their owners, not the other way around. 

Sarah - 12/23/2008
    Alex - 9/30/2011

"I say embrace the total geek in yourself and just enjoy it. Life is too short to be cool." - Shirley Manson, Garbage
  • Well, I am personally "closer" with my male dog. He's more of a dog. Ya know? He's more subordinate. 

Both are very good with M, but my female dog plays with her more. She's also more protective of M. My male dog is more protective of me. 

Can you speak to your proposed vet & ask what the characteristics of the male & female of that breed are? He/She is probably your best resource. Or a dachsund breeder. They're always available to help. 

• we have 3 (used to be 4) male dogs.  I love it.  They're my boys Smile
    DD 6/17/08, DD 6/9/10, DD 12/15/11
    BFP 5/24/13 - Natural MC 6/7/13
    BFP 8/13/13 - Natural MC 8/27/13
    Ovarian Mass = removal of left ovary & tube 9/13
    BFP 4/24/14 - Tubal Pregnancy 5/7/14
    Removal of  ruptured right tube 5/8/14
    IVF or adoption??
  • imagesouthernbelle82:
    we have 3 (used to be 4) male dogs.  I love it.  They're my boys Smile

you have a girl baby that you can dress up in tutus though...

haha.

• We have three female and two male dogs.  I love them all to pieces.  In general - the girls tend to be more high strung, needier, bossier.  The boys are pretty chill and goofy.  I don't really know if I could pick one sex over the other, though.  They're all unique - more an individual dog than they are a particular sex. 
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • We have 2 males and 1 female. IMO the female was so much easier to house train and to train in general. And she listens much better. But it could be that we have 2 stubborn males. Lol
    DD#1 4/3/2008 TTC in 2012
  • imagelhuttlinger:

We have a short hair mini dachshund. He is very stubborn but so loving and affectionate. He loves to snuggle under the covers with us. But I'll warn you that he has been a pain to house break, he's 3 now and still has occasional accidents in the house. I have no experience with female dachshunds so I can't really say anything about them

DD#1 4/3/2008 TTC in 2012
  • The housebreaking worries me/scares me! good practice for potty training, i guess!

• we have a female dog.. I wanted a girl dog so I could dress her up since I have all boys.. but when we were looking I was more about which dog I liked more personality wise cuteness wise than boy/girl... and the one I thought was the most affectionate just happened to be the girl. I love her.. we had a boy pomeranian.. and he was horrible and wild.. she is so opposite and loves to snuggle with us.. dont know if it's because shes a girl, or if its because of the breed.. she is a silky terrier..
  • I prefer female. Boy dogs tend to lick their balls and its really nasty. Also, I find female dogs to be a lot less aggressive.
  • imageGeekchick921:
    imageCrazycrustacean:

Agreed.  I've had one of each and both were great dogs.  The male did like to leg-hump, though, even after he was neutered. 

Leg humping is a sign of domination, not a show of sexuality.

• we currently have a male dog, although i grew up with all female.

i prefer female, as they are calmer, and even if you get a male fixed, you still have to deal with their damn lipstick coming out for no reason.

• We have two females and a male.  I love my male.  However I think its something to do with the breed because I my female boxer is the best dog ever.  Shes docile and sweet and calm.

My male is a mutt and since he was neutered when he was a pup so he doesn't spend hours licking himself and he hardly ever humps.  My other mutt that is female humps all. the. time.  to the other dogs and shes very crazy and hyper.

I really feel its the breed more so than the sex.  

My Book BlogImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPicA Lucy, a lost tube, two lost babies, and another on the way! image
  • First of all, no generalization about male or female dogs will necessarily apply to any one dog, so consider personality first and foremost.

Second of all, it is *apparently* easier to housebreak a male dog because they have a stronger need to go out and mark their territory.  Females could care less where they pee, and therefore if you don't have a super intelligent breed it could take them longer to understand.  (But again, generalities...) 

Image and video hosting by TinyPicLilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • We have 2 female dogs and 1 male. The male is actually much more well behaved and calmer and he is the younger one. I think it has more to do with their breeds than their gender though.
  • imagelpennie16:
    imageGeekchick921:
    imageCrazycrustacean:

Leg humping is a sign of domination, not a show of sexuality.

Yes, I know that, but neutered male dogs typically hump less than intact ones.  Females hump sometimes as well, which you may know.  My female dog sometimes humps the air (she never mounts anyone, just starts moving her humping the air) around other dogs.

Sarah - 12/23/2008
    Alex - 9/30/2011

• We have one of each.  I think it depends on the breed.  My neutered male is incredibly laid back and calm.  He was much easier to house break.  My spayed female is a total spazz we love her but she's trouble.  She is way more territorial than my male.

DS 09/2008

• we have a male dog and had a female before that.

gender doesnt really matter...chose based a breed and the individual dog

~after 34 cycles we finally got our 2nd little bundle of joy~
    My IF blog
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"