Philadelphia Babies
Options

HUP Delivery

Has anyone had a baby recently at HUP in U. City? Would love to hear the good and the bad about their stay. Quality of care etc??

Re: HUP Delivery

• Options

I am pregnant with my first and am delivering at Penn. I'm currently taking birthing classes there and we got a tour of labor & delivery as well as the maternity floor.

L&D room is unbelievable!  It's a suite, complete with mood lighting, spotlights, ipod dock, some have jacuzzis (although they will not allow water births), and you can really make it an "experience".  Maternity floor is just ok.  Room we saw was on the smaller side, and you have to pay for the TV ($7/day I think?) which isn't a big deal just kind of odd. 

HUP is a "magnet" hospital and is rated as one of the top 10 hospitals in the country. I have been so impressed with everyone from the nurses on the maternity floor (everywhere I went one of the nurses said Congratulations and seemed genuinely happy) to the anesthesiologist who spoke at our class. 

I haven't been through it yet but I feel very confident that it's going to be a great experience.  If you have not yet done it, maybe you should sign up for a tour of L&D and maternity. It made me very excited!  Hope this helps...

• Options

We must be in the same classes! I am also in the currnet childbirth classes at HUP and have been just as impressed as well.

I was just wondering what others felt that have "been there done that" to see if they really did have as good experience as we have had thus far in all the prep work!

I agree- the L&D rooms were wonderful-- the maternity floor/rooms not so great- but not horrible. Definilty able to stay for 2 -3 days.

Best of luck to you and enjoy the last few classes. We finish up on 9/9.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I delivered at HUP.  I thought it was really great.  I did have to wait 3 hours in the triage area before getting admitted because I wasn't dilated enough even though I was contracting every 3 minutes.  But at least they didn't send me home an tell me to come back.  I had a 40 hour labor and the nurses were wonderful.  My DH is a nurse and he was impressed with how great they were.

The L&D room was huge...I had a jacuzzi in my room, but since I got my epidural right off the bat, I didn't get to use it.  The maternity room was small, but the nurses were great there too.  I was overwhelmed with visitors and hormones my first day there and broke down crying when I learned that DS was losing weight.  My nurse volunteered to be the bad guy and kick people out of the room I wanted her to.  I didn't need her to do that, but it was nice of her to offer.

You do have to pay for phone and TV ( I work next door at CHOP, so I didn't have to pay) but i'm not sure how much.  the bathroom was clean and I'm pretty anal about bathrooms.

I had an emergency C-sec after all the labor and I thought the attending anesthesiologist was great.  when he learne the my husband didn't bring the camera into the OR, he shooed him out to get it.  And when DS was being delivered, he grabbed the camera and started shooting away so that DH could hold the baby and cut the umbilical cord.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicLilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"