Northern California Babies

burp cloth vs receiving blanket

Can someone tell me what the difference is? I think the cloths are smaller - that's all I really know. Thanks :)
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: burp cloth vs receiving blanket

• Burp clothes are significantly smaller -- the size of a cloth diaper or smaller.  Receiving blankets are big enough to swaddle a newborn (but not much bigger)
  • It is confusing!  Especially when you often read posts about people using receiving blankets as burp cloths.  Burp cloths are usually cloth diapers that you use to wipe up spit up, drool, etc.  They sell them in 6 and 12 packs at BRU. You can also get cute burp cloths with your baby's name and other designs (animals, etc.) embroidered onto the cloth diaper.  These are popular baby gifts, and you'll probably receive some after your baby is born.

Receiving blankets are thin blankets used to swaddle baby.  The typical ones are quite small, and only work for newborns.  We loved receiving blankets and bought the super sized ones (ultimate receiving blanket is a popular one) to swaddle baby as they are larger and last much longer (I'm still using it for my 13 month old).

I think some people use the smaller receiving blankets are burp cloths in a pinch when you need to wipe up something (like if your baby throws up in the car and you don't have any burp cloths around to clean it up).

• Loading the player...
  • burp cloths are smaller and thicker, receiving blankets are larger and thinner.  i ended up buying a ton of receiving blankets in prints and solid colors.  when dd was a newborn i used to swaddle her in the printed blankets and use the solid colors as burp clothes.  now we just use them all as burp cloths.  i like the blankets better than the actual burp cloths because i could throw it over my shoulder and not worry about it falling off/dropping like the smaller burp cloths.

hth!

• Thanks, that helps a lot :)
  • i totally second using the receiving blankets as burp cloths...sometimes the little ones can errupt like crazy! 

i also love the ultimate blanket, rec'd by Meritage...it was the best size for swaddling! you can also get a similar weight/size at Target from their Dwell line.

• imagei hate green peas:

i totally second using the receiving blankets as burp cloths...sometimes the little ones can errupt like crazy! 

i also love the ultimate blanket, rec'd by Meritage...it was the best size for swaddling! you can also get a similar weight/size at Target from their Dwell line.

ditto ultimate recieving blanket, especially if you are having a winter baby. For summer babies, aden/anis blankets are the best for swaddeling! target even carries them now!

• Ditto what everyone else said.

One tip that another mom shared with me: cloth diapers are fantastic for burp cloths (and a ton of other uses). They are thick and bleachable and will last for ages!

I had at least one in my diaper bag to use to wipe up messes or put down in weird places to change Fudgie (even with the pull out thingys that come with most diaper bags & changing sets). I'd put it on top of the pull out, it is easier to clean then the pull out thing b/c I could drop it in the washer with hot water & bleach. I also used it on top of my changing station for the same reason.

Now that we've started potty training (actually, we are done training but accidents happen), I still try to keep one in my 'emergency' kit in the car (change of cloths, clean up stuff).

HTH & have fun!

Life is a roller coaster, enjoy it!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lighthouse State Beach, Santa Cruz.

• Awesome, I just put a couple ultimate receiving blankets on the registry.
  • This is a really useful thread! I was wondering the same thing!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"