Parenting

input please - trying to figure this out...sick kids...

please bear with me.  i need input.

morgan was sick literally all last year.  from halloween (she started daycare in sept) until may.  she had 6 or 7 ear infections.  many breathing treatments.  several bouts of broncholitis (which she was on antibiotics, abuterol, and predisone all at once for).  she got tubes in april.  had three ear infections AFTER tubes.  the ENT cleared her ear wax out of her tubes in june the same week we got out of school and she stayed home with me for the summer.

she was basically fine all summer.  i took her three times because it hought she had an EI, but nothing.  just cranky from teeth.

now.  we have been in school two weeks.  she is breathing horribly. i should have taken her to the dr friday, but my other daughter has an appt on weds, so iw ill take her then.  i am sure she will need a breathing treatment (i am calling in the am to see if i can give her the abuterol we have here - it doesnt get bad, but i want to make sure). 

is it possible something at daycare is making her sick? i realize there are kids with sicknesses...but she is sick ALL THE TIME.  noel goes to the same daycare and was sick maybe twice last year.  my thought was mold, but im not sure how that affects kids.  it is in the basement of a building, but there are cement walls, the only carpeted spots are rugs, its EXTREMELY clean, white walls and floors, not water leaks that i can see.  im not sure where the m old would be??? 

thoughts?  other suggestions on what makes her so sick?  i ran out of sick days last year. 

btw, this is the best daycare in our area.  i would hat eto leave, but would if i could really pinpoint that it was the daycare that was the problem and not just being around other kids.

fwiw - we are around other kids everyday in the summer too.

mom to Noel 3.17.07 Morgan 4.9.08 Taylor 10.27.10 Baby #4 Due in July mc 2.3.06

Re: input please - trying to figure this out...sick kids...

• I am at a loss.Just wanted to say I am so sorry you and poor Morgan are going through this.  I know mold can cause alot of respiratory issues, but not usually ear infections.  Maybe talk to the other moms from day care and see if any of their kids are having similiar symptoms.  Have they ever tested morgan to see if she has any low immunity issues?
  • hey baby kin.  i brought it up to him last may and he didnt think it was necessary.  i am going to bring it up to him on wednesday.  i am really at a loss.   :(
  • Loading the player...
  • Maybe there is mold or something she's allergic to there. Although I think more kids would be sick if it was mold, I dunno. Poor baby.
  • thats a good point niecy.  the ladies at daycare always comment that its always morgan who is sick.  i do not think there are any others that are chronically sick like her - so perhaps not something at daycare?
  • I think some kids just get sicker than others. I am in the same boat with my son. As I listen to him coughing in his room. I am getting ready to give him a treatment. My son started school in Jan and it went through all summer. He was sick constantly. Do you have animals? I have a cat, and I think my mom is going to take her for a while to see if that helps with the sickness.

Good luck to you. I know how upsetting it is to have your kid sick all time.

Julian David 8/7/06 and Isabella Mia 5/14/09
  • I am so sorry hon.  my ENT said that a lot of what drs think are eis are actually just fluid and should not be treated with antibiotics.  could she be immune to them from the overuse?  I hope that you get some real answers from your dr. and that M feels better soon!
  • my ent agrees that kids are overtreated for EIs and hes the one who diagnosed prob half of them. 
  • It could be environmental things, too. My little brother had chronic asthma as a child and we found out he was allergic to dogwood trees - which literally surrounded his school. His allergies would trigger asthma attacks. (And of course, asthma kids tend to get sick more often and stay sicker longer ... it's a viscious cycle.)

Just a thought. I hope you find something ... that would be miserable having a sick child all the time.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • It's so awful when they get sick. I'm begining to think that some kids are just more susceptible to illnes than others. I know that with my own 2, who have never attended daycare, one gets everything and the other rarely gets sick (and he is the one who now goes to school!). Just curious, how is she weight wise? My youngest DS is the one is gets sick often and is also under weight. I'm curious if there is a correlation. Does she have any allergies?

Sorry I do not have any answers.

• I think some kids just have crappy immune systems.  I was like that as a kid, and even when I was teaching and should have built up an immunity to all the germs the kids carried, I had cold after cold after cold.  I do know daycare kids are more prone to EI's - it was one of the first questions my ENT asked about for Alex, who's getting tubes in and adenoids out on Tuesday.  I don't know why though.  Hopefully this winter will be better for you.
    Jenni ~~Alex & Avery ~~ 6/13/06~~Adam ~~3/26/08

• Is she still in the same classroom as last year?  I would wonder if it was something that she is allergic to within the classroom.  When I worked in a daycare I was always sick.  I just thought it was being around kids. It turned out I was allergic to powdered formula.  It could be something as simple as that.

I know that some people don't believe in supplements and things like that, but I give DS  DHA and probiotics daily.  There has been some proof that they strenghten the immune system and promote healthy respitory trracts.  Just something to think about/talk to your doctor about.

Kelly, Mom to Noah 8.27.05 (born at 26 weeks)
  • What about other kids bringing in different allergens on their clothes...dogs, cats, cigarette smoke, etc???

Also, a breathing treatment with albuterol will never hurt.  I would do it as you see fit.  My Ped gave me the OK to use it whenever I think the kids need it, without having to call.  In fact, when we need a new rx for it, she puts like 4 refills on it so that I always have access to it.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"