2nd Trimester

my urine strip turned colors and i don't know what to do!! :( HELP!

when i go to my monthly visits, i urinate on a dip stick and tell the nurse if the colors changed. at all of my appointments so far the little squares always stay yellow which indicates everything is good.

i know i'm bad, but i stole a handful of the sticks and i just peed on two. i don't know what made me want to do this, i just did. anyway, the square closest to the edge stayed yellow but has a little green around the edges and the second square turned completely blue/green.

does anyone know what this means? i called the emergency line for my OB/GYN practice and left a message for the on-call nurse practioner. now i have to wait a million hours for a call back.

should i go to the er? should i go to cvs to take my blood pressure? it's been pretty low thus far. i don't know what to do.

i'm between my 25th and 26th week, by the way.

side note: i've been lurking on here for months and i made an account recently to get the weekly emails. what a fantastic first post! i'm sorry if this has been asked a thousand times!

Re: my urine strip turned colors and i don't know what to do!! :( HELP!

• It could be lots of things, but I think most likely it is a UTI.  I would wait for the nurse to call back.  She'll know which square and what color means what.  I don't think any of the things the urine test screen for would warrant a trip to the ER.  (I don't think checking your blood pressure will tell you anything, so I'd skip the trip to CVS, too.)

My nurse does the strips in the office after I PIAC.  She compares it to a color guide, so some color change can be normal.  Mine's has had a little color variation, but not enough to show any problem.

This website has a lot of info about the urine test.

https://www.americanpregnancy.org/prenataltesting/urinetest.html

• HaHaHa Im sorry but I can't believe you stole them!! Now how are you going to explain yourself?!? Unfortunately my doc office doesnt use those strips so I have no clue what they mean or what exactly they are testing for... Do you know what they test for??

DS #1- Ares Christopher

DS #2- Taj Lee

DD #1 Alba Gray

Baby #4- coming in May

• Loading the player...
  • well, i can honestly say... i don't think this has ever been asked before.

my guess would be they are ph strips?  do you feel like you're leaking amniotic fluid?  or are you staying dry? honestly, i have no idea what the test is for or what your results mean.  hopefully that nurse calls you back asap.

• imagea4smith:
    HaHaHa Im sorry but I can't believe you stole them!! Now how are you going to explain yourself?!? Unfortunately my doc office doesnt use those strips so I have no clue what they mean or what exactly they are testing for... Do you know what they test for??

They test for protien

Here is color chart

https://www.medicine.uiowa.edu/cme/clia/images/testID19/MilesChart.jpg

• This is too funny...stealing strips...hahahahaa
    Due October 29
  • They could be for protein, glucose, or pH...or any combination of the above if there are "segments" on the strip.

If you feel fine, you aren't going to die before the nurse calls back.  RELAX.

DS 12/09, Twins EDD 11/11
  • I still don't understand WHY you would steal them...
  • imagea4smith:
    HaHaHa Im sorry but I can't believe you stole them!! Now how are you going to explain yourself?!?

i know! i suck! i'm super paranoid about something going wrong so when i was there i just thought to take them and pee on them every once in awhile at home. i know there is something wrong with that. i'm blaming it on i'm a crazy hormonal pregnant lady who has no idea about anything!

• I don't know what the colors mean, but I know Vagisil or a related company make test strips that will test for vaginal infections and UTI's.  If you're really worried just go to Walgreens or your local drug store and pick one up.
  • imagedecember2009arrival:

i know i'm bad, but i stole a handful of the sticks and i just peed on two. i don't know what made me want to do this, i just did. anyway, the square closest to the edge stayed yellow but has a little green around the edges and the second square turned completely blue/green.

does anyone know what this means?

My first response is that it could indicate you are part-smurf.

(And now is where I apologise because I SERIOUSLY don't mean to make light of this...but I couldn't resist and DH encouraged me when he saw me nearly wet myself laughing at the fact you stole the pee sticks as it is SO something I would WANT to do, but not have the balls to...anyway)

It sounds like pH sticks to me as well. I hope someone can be more helpful than me and get you the answer you need. Try not to worry too much though, I'm sure you'll get it sorted. x

• LOL -- "sorry if this has been asked a thousand times"?!?!?! yeah, lots of women steal PEE STICKS from their doctor's office to pee on later at home, just for shiits&giggles, then have weird results and don't know what to do....
  • lol, I'm sorry to make light of this because I'm sure you really are worried, but this is cracking me up right now. Please come back and tell us how you explained to the nurse that you stole the test strips and what she said, lol!
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • They are for proteins and glucose. We use them in my midwifes office.
  • They are for Protein and Glucose as many of the girls on here said.

I'm dying to know... ARE YOU GOING TO FESS UP THAT YOU STOLE THE STRIPS!

• I'm sorry you're worried but this is making me lmfao!

How are you going to explain this to the doc's office?  LOL!

Married in 2008 - DD born in 2010 - EDD 6.15.2012!
  • 1.  Relax.  This is why the professionals read the strips instead of handing you a handful of sticks to pee on at home willy nilly.   It's most likely minor, especailly if you've never had problems with your blood pressure, or swelling or pain or bleeding, etc.

2.  Don't steal stuff anymore.  Just in general.

• imageRach03k:
    lol, I'm sorry to make light of this because I'm sure you really are worried, but this is cracking me up right now. Please come back and tell us how you explained to the nurse that you stole the test strips and what she said, lol!

This! I can not wait to hear how they react to you stealing them! I'm sorry you're worried but this is hilarious!  

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I seriously almost peed on myself from laughing reading this. OMG. I'm sure everything will be fine. I love that you stole the pee sticks. That is so something I would do!
  • This is really funny! Call me crazy but maybe this is why they don't hand them out?!
  • What if they have been having problems with crazy pregnant ladies stealing medical supplies so they planted some fake ones to bust you?
  • imageoohgrrl11:
    What if they have been having problems with crazy pregnant ladies stealing medical supplies so they planted some fake ones to bust you?

Nothing like "gag" parting-gifts from your GP!! HA!

• Okay, I was at the Drs office the other day and I saw them.  I was thinking "I should take one" and then I realized I wouldn't know what the F to do with it.  I'm glad my saner side came too.

This is probably the funnies thing I have ever read.  They are for UTIs, Protein and glucose as everyone has said.  Mostly they give them to people that have had protein in their urine or are borderline diabetic.  It keeps an eye on your sugars.

You are NOT going to die.  :) But I might just pee my pants laughing about the fact that you stole the strips and then didn't know how to read them :) 

Its very funny :) and I mean that nicely.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I just pee in a cup with my name on it at my OB's office. Now you all have me wondering if they dip strips in my pee after I leave!
  • If the very edges turned color, it just means you are a sloppy pee-er and you didn't lay the strip down. There are two squares on each strip yes? One is yellowish and one is greenish? Let me guess- the yellow one got greenish edges? Think about it for a second please. This happens all the time. I test my own urine at the midwife's office- even if you are one color off you are still fine! Protein in your urine? Did you just have sex? That could be why.

Good luck explaining this one to the on call doctor. 

Hatching the Hawks
    Hatching the Hawks
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • i would look into turning yourself into the show obsessed.  you obviously have a problem with peeing on things.

seriously.  WTF is wrong with you?

• You should go to the ER.  Right now.  Don't forget to grab some tongue depressors and a stethoscope before you leave.  You never know when they might come in handy.
    Mucho likes purple nails and purple cupcakes
  • imageMrsRebecca:
    I just pee in a cup with my name on it at my OB's office. Now you all have me wondering if they dip strips in my pee after I leave!

Do you think they just have you pee in a cup for fun?

image Ready to rumble.
  • LMAO, some of you girls were pretty harsh!

OP.... we have these at my OB's office and they test for protein.  If its only 1 shade different, its not a HUGE deal to freak out about yet.  My urine always have traces or +1 protein in it.

Audrey- December 2009
    Owen- April 2011
    Olivia- Due December 24th
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"