Northern California Babies

Would you name your DD after you??

So yesterday at my inlaws, we were talking about baby girl names and DH's mom was like, "I think there should be more girls named after their moms... why is it always after their fathers?" In the latin culture, it's pretty common to name a son after their father so there's always a ton of "juniors".

This has planted a seed in DH's mind all last night and eventually he asked me if I would cool if we named our 2nd baby after me. He said he really liked the idea of doing that and I have to admit that I was totally flattered.... but then I kind of feel wierd about it too? I dunno.

Would you name your DD after you?

Re: Would you name your DD after you??

• I would, if I like my name.  I totally agree with your MIL and have always thought it was a dumb double standard.  If we had a girl she would have be given my middle name.
  • I wouldn't do a first name, but I would definitely use my name as a middle name.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I TOTALLY met a Jr (girl) before.  Her name was Georgette Something Jr.  It was a little strange, honestly.  Personally, I'm not a fan of the Jr. thing.  I DO like naming kids with derivatives of their parents names!
  • imagem&m818:

I wouldn't do a first name, but I would definitely use my name as a middle name.

Ditto....although if someone did name after the mom, I'd probably get over my perception pretty quickly.
    Nobody said life would be easy, they just promised it would be worth it.
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • Yes. Except it would be confusing.
  • One of our top name choices for a DD is my middle name as her first name.  Not so much because it's my middle name, but because I like it and it's a family name (I'm not the first, hopefully won't be the last).  That's about as far as I would take it though, I'm not a big fan of Juniors with regard to sons or daughters.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I personally wouldn't want to name any of our kids after myself or DH - not because I don't like our names, but I just have never been a fan of naming children after their parents.
  • my grandma named her 2nd daughter after her - my grandma and aunt are both margarets but went by different nicknames - marge and peggy

eta: while i would never name a kid after me OR dh ... dd shares my middle name which also happens to be my mom's first name.

Love - a wildly misunderstood although highly desirable malfunction of the heart which weakens the brain, causes the eyes to sparkle, cheeks to glow, blood pressure to rise and the lips to pucker - Author Unknown

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• im not a fan of jr.'s personally. In my DH's family there are a ton of Jr's (male & female) I dont like it because then you have to figure out how you will differentiate and if youre really lucky you have to deal with all the credit issues it can bring up as an adult. We've gone to he!! and back trying ot sort out credit issues between him & his father. DHs score would be higher if it werent for his dads credit leaking into DH's stuff!

And in the latin culture - they often do Nacho & nachito, Teresa and Teresita, David & Davicito. So then youre fam calls you -ito or -ita - basically saying you are little mommy or little daddy - instead of having your own identity. Im not a fan. :-( Thankfully Dh isnt either. I let him decide whether or not he wanted to name his hypothetical boy a Jr.

• My full name? Hell no -- WAY too long to pronounce.... even in my native language.

My nickname, also no -- too popular.

However, all of this is based on the name, not any passing down generational issues. I say, if you like your name, do it! It's a cool way to go.

• I don't like the tradition of naming boys after their fathers (and neither does my dad who was named after his dad so went by his middle name his entire life and just thinks it's a major PITA).So no, I wouldn't name my DD after me nor would I name my DS after my hubby. Middle name, yes (I shared one with my mom until I got married and am giving our children my maiden name as their middle names), but first name nope. 
    imageLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I'm not a huge fan of juniors so I say no.  If we have a boy we'll be using (probably) the traditional middle name in dh's family for a first name...and maybe dh's first name as a middle name...we'll see.

• i like your name, and in so i would do it. Maybe in combo with the name your DH was wanting before? like your name first, and then the other name as middle? I think they would sound nice together. :)

for me? HELLNO!!!!! do you know how many times a day i get told me name is strange? or different? lol. :)

• I don't think I would. There's just something about having your own name and the individuality that comes along with it.

I had a friend growing up, let's call her Wendy. Wendy's mom loooooved the name Wendy so much that not only did she name her daughter that, but she eventually changed her own name from Cathy to Wendy also. So we had to refer to them as "Wendy the mom" and "Wendy the daughter". Too confusing for me!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageLexi & Orion's Mommy:

i like your name, and in so i would do it. Maybe in combo with the name your DH was wanting before? like your name first, and then the other name as middle? I think they would sound nice together. :)

for me? HELLNO!!!!! do you know how many times a day i get told me name is strange? or different? lol. :)

Aw thanks F! Actually, that was what we were thinking of.... having my name then the name DH wanted as the middle name.  

• I love my name but would never give it to my child, that said I also would never give DH's name to our child. However DD#2 (if there is one) will have my middle name as her middle name.
  • DH doesn't want a junior, and I'm not super fond of my name and don't care to pass it on.

My boss and his wife are Dan and Katherine.  They had twins.  Dan and Katie.  (although, I believe Katie's name is actually Mary Katherine).  I always thought that was kind of weird.  

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I am not really a fan of JR's so I would not.
  • yes if it was a family name.

I know a girl whose name is Mary, its a family name, so she carries on Mary to her girls as well. Shes had two girls and named them Mary as well but calls them by their second name. I think its really really cute, I love it!

• Although I'm okay (just okay, don't love it) with my name, I hated it growing up. It was so different and when I was introduced to people, they either thought I said Stephanie or Tiffany. And now as an adult, people still can't remember it...I get called Britney and Betsy a ton. Also, people constantly call me Beth which I don't like (nothing wrong with it - it's just not my name). No way would I want to pass that legacy on to my daughter. Although, Estelle's going to have her own issues. Sooooo many people call her Stella which is a very cute name, but we don't like it b/c it's soooo popular and my close friend's dog is Stella.

She does have my middle name which is also my mom's middle name.  

• imagelinnychanel:

yes if it was a family name.

I know a girl whose name is Mary, its a family name, so she carries on Mary to her girls as well. Shes had two girls and named them Mary as well but calls them by their second name. I think its really really cute, I love it!

That was what we were thinking of doing if we do go this route. On paper it would say it but we'd call her by her 2nd name. 

• imagelunabeam:

I had a friend growing up, let's call her Wendy. Wendy's mom loooooved the name Wendy so much that not only did she name her daughter that, but she eventually changed her own name from Cathy to Wendy also. So we had to refer to them as "Wendy the mom" and "Wendy the daughter". Too confusing for me!

THAT is WEIRD.

• imageCelyn:
    I'm not a big fan of my name, so no.

Ditto this.  If (and that's a big if) I were to do it, she would get my name as a middle name.  Never as a first.  I was teased constantly in elementary school because of my name.  I refuse to do that to my kids.  I figure they are going to get teased about something no matter what.  Why should I make them an easy target with their name?

Rainbow - Married - 5/31/03
                                               Christian Alexander - 11/13/06
                                        Amelia Rose & Owen Thomas - 3/29/11

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie - (eGB2)
    Be The Match - and help save a life by signing up for the National Marrow Donor Program.
  • I was not Jewish (not allowed to name after anyone living) I would consider using my middle name (Felice) as my baby's first name maybe. I never thought about it before because it's not allowed, but I love that name.
  • imageMarksGrrl:
    I'm not a big fan of Juniors with regard to sons or daughters.

Ditto this. I *love* my name (well except spelling it for others) but wouldn't name a girl after me just because of that. However, Jenna and Janessa aren't all that far off... but hers is easier to spell ;)

• I have a female cousin who is a jr.

Personally, I wouldn't do it either way after me or after DH. I'm not a fan of juniors. DH wanted me to give one of the girls my name as their middle name but I couldn't do that either. Now, middle names after their grandmas... that I can do :)

Taya 9.20.05 * Marlena 10.4.07 * Armando 11.3.93
  • I have the same name as my Mother, Grandmother, and Great Aunt. It's a name passed down. My Mom's and Grandmother's is spelled the same way and my name is spelled the same way as my Great Aunt's. It's all pronounced the same. The number one question I get from everyone is, "When you have a LO, will you be also passing along your name?". So I gave it some thought and now say, "I would definitely be open to it but would slightly change it". I think if I was to have a DD it would be my name, but everyone would call her by the nickname of my last for letters, "Mira".
    Me: 37 DH:41
    10/2009 - TTC#1 Stopped BCP! Let's DO this!
    1/2010 - BFP (Natural) --> 10/2010 - DS born! Yay!
    12/2010 - DH diagnosed with stage 3B testicular cancer. #cancersucks
    10/2011 - Complications with DH and lymph nodes in groin area removed. No longer able to ejaculate.
    1/2014 - TTC#2 - IUI#1. No luck. Findings: DH sperm did not survive freeze. RE recommends IVF with ICSI.
    3/2014 - IVF Cycle #1 Started BCP
    4/2014 - Lupron, Gonal-F, and Menopur
    5/7/2014 - ER day (25 eggs retrieved, 15 mature)
    5/10/2014 - 6 fertilized, 3 embryos frozen - one grade A and two Grade B. Plan was to grow out to blastocyst stage but rest of eggs arrested by day 3. Decided to freeze on day 3.
    2/9/2016 - FET #1 with Grade A (8 cell - 3 day embryo); 2/20 - Beta was <5. BFN.  :/ Waiting for period and start next FET.
    7/8/2016 - FET #2 with Grade B (8 cell - 3 day embryo), fingers crossed this one sticks. :)
    7/19 - Beta was 74. BFP!!!!; 7/21 - Beta was 182; 1st U/S on 8/2; 2nd U/S on 8/16 :)

BabyFetus Ticker
  • I wouldn't, but i also wouldn't name a song after my DH either. I am more a fan of honoring loved ones who have passed with naming. This baby will be named after my grandma, either with Rose as the second half of the first name for a girl. Or O'shea as a middle name for a boy.
    Greyson Ray ~ July 31 2006 | WinterRose Elizabeth ~ April 28th 2010 Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    The Blog | BirthbyKellyM
  • I wouldn't but that's because I wouldn't want my child to have my husband's name...so I don't want my child to have mine.  I like the idea that in my immediate house you can call a name and only have one person answer.

The name we think we are going to use for MM is a family name...but no one since DH's grandfather's generation has had the name and the person who did that generation has passed.  The name is currently being used as a middle name for 2 people (a Sr. and Jr. actually)...but they don't go by the name...so while it is a family name...it really isn't anyone else's name.

My dad is a Jr. and FIL is a Sr. and BIL a Jr....and it can be complicated at times.

Though I like my name...I think it would make a cute middle name...;)

Happy Takes Work A family blog.
    Money Matters The other half's blog.
    EJ is growing up too fast!
    imageLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • I gave my DD my first name as her middle name. My middle name is also my mothers name.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"