Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Please Explain

I am really NOT trying to be sassy, so please don't flame! I genuinely am curious...

What do people mean when they say "I had an epidural but it didn't work" ?

I planned on going natural, then BEGGED for drugs, but it was too late, so I got my natural birth afterall. Next baby, I'm planning on an epidural... I think :)

I am just so perplexed by people saying that it didn't work... did the doctor/anesthesiologist tell you that it didn't work? or did you just still feel things?

How can you know??

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Please Explain

• Options
    I can't say for sure considering mine worked very well, but I assume the medication didn't have an effect on them. That would be my guess.
  • Options
    My epi "worked" but it was definitely stronger on one side.  I think for some it just doesn't block the pain the way it should, not sure exactly why.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Mine worked, but I know people that it didn't work for. For whatever reason, it didn't go in right and the meds were not distributed they way they were supposed to so they could feel all the contractions.
  • Options

My mom had an epidural that only numbed one leg and she had to have it done over again.  This was 13 years ago though, so things may have changed. 

Mine worked very well.  It started to wear off because I was in labor so long, but they just added more medicine to the thing.  There was a button on mine that I pushed to add more medicine when I started getting feeling back and when it didn't work anymore I told the nurse and they changed out the bag to a new one.

• Options

But I just don't understand how you can quantify the pain with or without an epi...?

If you took a vicodin and hit yourself in the foot with a hammer, but you still felt pain, would you claim that the vicodin didn't work? How would you know what it would have felt like without anything? ?

• Options

I had two epis because the first one didn't work. I asked for the first one when I was having pitocin induced contractions that became excrutiating after my water was broke. I got the epi and everything felt the exact same. The contractions got so strong that I literally thought I would die (I'm a pain wimp though) and I had zero relief. The anthesiologist came back after 45 minutes and checked me for feeling in various areas and I still felt them all (plus it was obvious that I was in pain). I got a second epi and the relief was instant. Sometimes they just don't hit the right spot. Don't ask me where the first dose went, but it definitely didn't go where it was supposed to. I ended up having a c section and actually was still feeling some things then (mainly my organs being shoved back in) and ended up getting something magical (I don't know what) put in my IV that made it all better.

imageimage
    Matilda 6/19/09
    Graham 10/25/13
  • Options

I had mine done mid-day and as the contractions got stronger the pain got worse. By the time the pain was unbearable they couldn't redo the epi and I felt everything. You'll know if it doesn't work. The dr told me I should just feel pressure...nope I felt all the pain....UGH

The anesthesiologist said there was no guarantee that it would work and that it was a hit or miss. Mine missed...

• Options

So I guess if it "works" you should feel NO pain. At all??

DANG! I'm now even more tempted to have one next time!?

• Options
    For some people the epidural doesn't work completely, and for some not at all.  Some have spots where it's numb, but other areas where there's still sensation.  I'm not sure on the statistics of how many epi's "work" vs. how many don't, but I know that it is possible for the pain to still be present even though the epi was inserted correctly.  I guess, as for anything else when it comes to pregnancy, everything is different from person to person.

BFP 12/19/08- DS born 8/25/09 9lbs2oz via Zavanelli Maneuver
    BFP 8/26/11- Missed miscarriage discovered 10/19/11 at 11w2d, measured at 9 weeks gestation w/ no HB. D&C 10/21/11
    BFP 3/17/12 at 12dpo CP 3/21/12
    BFP 4/23/12 at 10dpo Stick my little one! Beta #1: 83.3 @ 13dpo Beta #2: 197.7 @ 15dpo
    Our little man is getting bigger every day!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    My BFP Chart
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Generally, when people say the epidural didn't work, what they mean is "I was in labor, with a spinal drip that was supposed to give me anesthesia, and it still hurt like a motherf*cking sonofabitch."

Trust me, if your epi doesn't work, you don't need the anesthesiologist to inform you about it.  You'll inform the anesthesiologist.  You'll probably do it with a great deal of volume and a considerable amount of emotion.

My epidural worked great for eight hours.  Unfortunately, I was in labor for thirteen.  When I say "it stopped working", I mean "the anesthesia ceased to be effective."  We turned up the medication as high as it would go but it didn't help.  I was still feeling intense pain with every contraction. 

• Options

Some people's legitimately do not work or stop working.  But I also think it's a dosage thing for many women. 

For me, it was great.  It completely blocked my pain at first, but as my contractions got stronger I think that they exceeded my dosage.  This worked out well for me, because it really helped me push.  I was in pain, but I think it would have been much greater pain without the epi.  They re-dosed me with a stronger flow and everything went numb.

I think many hospitals try not to give you a heavy dosage, but when people's pain exceeds the strength of the medicine they think that it has stopped working or worn off.  Somebody comes back in and gives you a higher dosage - more meds, less pain.   Simplistically, it's like taking one tylenol or two.  When one doesn't cut it, you up your dosage. 

Maybe this is completely wrong, but it's what I was led to believe. 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers imageimage
  • Options
    imagelittlewifey:

But I just don't understand how you can quantify the pain with or without an epi... 

If you took a vicodin and hit yourself in the foot with a hammer, but you still felt pain, would you claim that the vicodin didn't work? How would you know what it would have felt like without anything?  

I was already in pain when I got the epi. The pain just stayed the same and then after time got worse. They waited 45 minutes to see if it would have any effect before they did it again. The second time, I could feel the numbness flood down my legs. I think the first time it just went straight into my back, instead of the spine.

imageimage
    Matilda 6/19/09
    Graham 10/25/13
  • Options
    imagelittlewifey:

So I guess if it "works" you should feel NO pain. At all? 

Yes, it's beautiful.

(until pushing, I felt him crown and that was painful.  the doc warned me it wouldn't take that pain away.)

• Options
    My first one didn't work. Although I wouldn't really say it didn't work, but the pain came back after about an hour (not supposed to happen).  So they had to give me another.  Never found out the real reason that the first one didn't work, but I assume it was the anestesiologist's fault.
  • Options
    imageBlueShoes32:

Trust me, if your epi doesn't work, you don't need the anesthesiologist to inform you about it.  You'll inform the anesthesiologist.  You'll probably do it with a great deal of volume and a considerable amount of emotion.

I had 2 failed epidurals. One was inserted shortly after my dr broke my water because the contractions were becoming unbearable.. it "worked" for a short time then completely wore off. I was never pain-free, but the pain was tolerable while the epi was "working". Once it began to fail, I was in excruciating pain. The epi-button they gave me did nothing, the anesthesiologist gave me 2 shots thru the epidural catheter, both did nothing. They tried to talk me into removing the first and getting a 2nd epi put in but I was in so much pain at that point that I was afraid I would not be able to sit still on the edge of the bed long enough. I asked to be checked again before making up my mind and we discovered I was fully dilated, so I declined the epi and we started pushing. 2 hours later my dr talked me into trying a 2nd epi because my pushes were becoming ineffective as more time went on and I became more and more tired... they did a 2nd epi (which was terrible with contrax one on top of the other!!) and it did absolutely nothing to relieve my pain. 

The anesthesiologist stayed in the room and agreed with me that both had failed.. there is no guarantee it will work for everyone. My body just didn't respond to their cocktail of drugs.  

• Options
    My co-workers mom had one when she was pregnant with her and it worked in reverse. So it numbed her from the chest up and not down. She couldn't speak, was drooling like crazy and felt all the pain of child birth.
  • Options
    Mine only worked on one side until I was 7cm.  I knew because I felt everything on my left side.  After he redid it I felt nothing.
    "You're gonna miss this You're gonna want this back You're gonna wish these days hadn't gone by so fast..."
  • Options
    I found out I have a mild case of scoliosis from the anesthesiologist and the epi failed 3x.  They couldn't find an insertion point in my spine that would allow the epi to work.  Didn't numb me at all.
  • Options

I had two epis, the first one didn't numb anything and was kinked so the medicine wasn't even going thru the tubing into my back. 

The second epi only worked on one side but honestly I was okay with that because the pain was tolerable and I still could move my legs fairly well.  (I wouldn't have been able to stand, but I could adjust them and pull them up on my own.)

Once I started pushing even the pain in my right side (the previously numb side) came back in full force so my epi truely failed.  I guess you know when your epi failed when you would rate your pain 13 out of 10.  I literally felt like my pelvis was being ripped apart.  They gave me another dose to help with the pain but I ended up having him so fast that it started to work after he was already out.

Even with it failing towards the end (and never truely working on my left side) I still would have gotten one.  It eased the pain of transition and helped a little during pushing.

• Options
    My anesthesiologist was awesome....I had an epi and felt no pain at all after it took affect!  All I felt was pressure during the delivery.  I guess I was lucky!
  • Options

My epidural worked great for an hour and the slowly started to wear off.  My OB checked it and it was in place and fine.  They brought anesthesia back and they set me up with a clicker and I clicked and clicked and got nothing.

Finally, they called anesthesia back and they gave me a bolus.  It numbed me upward.  My entire chest was numb and I couldn't feel myself breathing.  It was like being suffocated or being held under water.  Horrifying.

They had to drain my bladder twice.  I could have run a marathon, but they wouldn't let me out of bed to pee.  Having that done was excrutciating and I screamed the entire time.

Then, my BP dropped and I needed multiple shots of epinepherine to bring it back up.  This caused my heart to pound and, since it crosses the placenta, it caused her heart rate to go up.

They have no idea why it didn't work.  One theory is that, since I had back labor, the epi wasn't effective.  It tends to be less effective on back labor - which is the WORST labor possible, so how is that for a joke??

Another theory is that my body over metabolizes the medication.  I have no response to morphine, at all.  Could be something about me that caused my body to shove it off.

I've had anesthesia MANY times and never had a problem.  

My experience with the epi was so horrific, I refused it with the other 2 deliveries - even my 20hr pitocin induction.  

Oh, and for the immense joy of the useless epidural, I also got to have my heel be numb for about a year after as a constant reminder.  Guess it worked in my heel and nowhere else.  

ETA:  I knew when it stopped working, without a doubt.  I showed up at 6cm, so I had already been in labor.  The epidural was a slice of heaven and then it just disappeared.  I screamed the entire time.  I just laid there, clutching the bed rails and begging God to take me.  Even my OB said she left the room and cried and now jokes that she has PTSD from that delivery.  I honestly never knew pain like that could exist.  I also never knew a catheter could hurt so much and I hope I never, ever need one of those again. 

• Options
    imageBlueShoes32:

Generally, when people say the epidural didn't work, what they mean is "I was in labor, with a spinal drip that was supposed to give me anesthesia, and it still hurt like a motherf*cking sonofabitch."

My epidural worked great for eight hours.  Unfortunately, I was in labor for thirteen.  When I say "it stopped working", I mean "the anesthesia ceased to be effective."  We turned up the medication as high as it would go but it didn't help.  I was still feeling intense pain with every contraction. 

This exactly.  I couldn't have said it better! 

• Options

imagemikeandjen:
    My anesthesiologist was awesome....I had an epi and felt no pain at all after it took affect!  All I felt was pressure during the delivery.  I guess I was lucky!

This was true with me for DD#2. For DD#1 it wore off and it was bad!

• Options
    Nothing really to add except it happened to me also, before it even had a chance to reach my legs I was pushing and DS was here. And it hurt like a sonofabiitch.
  • Options
    imageBlueShoes32:

this.

• Options
    imagelittlewifey:

But I just don't understand how you can quantify the pain with or without an epi... 

If you took a vicodin and hit yourself in the foot with a hammer, but you still felt pain, would you claim that the vicodin didn't work? How would you know what it would have felt like without anything?  

They don't give you an epi until you are in major pain. So you know what it felt like without it and you can tell if it's working or not. You should feel very little pain with an epi, so if you're feeling anything, then it's not fully working.

• Options
    No flames from me. I too wanted a natural birth, but after 18 or so hours of labor and being in a pitocin drop I gave in and asked for it. After 6 attempts to place it in my back, my legs and the left side of my stomach went numb but the right side and the birth canal did not. I felt every contraction, to the point that they basically said that I was giving birth with no meds. I felt everything as I pushed him out. The doctor even numbed me with a local when he cut me for the epositomy (sp?) so that i did not feel that. The next day when he rounded on me he even commented that my epi was no good. When I had to sign the consent form to get the epi they told me that 1 in 100,000 they do not work for and 1 in 10,000 have "hot spots".
  • Options
    All it did was make my right foot numb. They kept trying to put more meds in to see if it just wasn't strong enough, which resulted in me not being able to feel my foot or walk for 2 days. Fun times!
    DS May 12, 2009 DD September 7, 2011
  • Options

When I was in labour with DS, the tube from the Epi fell out of my back so it started to wear off.

Also with an EPI, you won't or shouldn't feel pain but you will still feel lots of pressure.  Maybe that is what people mean by it didn't work.  They were expecting to be completely numb, but to get that you have to have a spinal injection done not an Epi.

• Options
    My epi only worked on my stomach (which was great for contractions) but didn't numb the birth canal at all. The anesthesiologist offered to redo it, and my OB said I should have it redone... but the contraction pain (pit induced) was the bad part, the pressure wasn't unbearable. I needed numbing meds for my stitches.
  • Options
    imageBlueShoes32:

THIS!

Photobucket Sydney Elise 5/9/09 Kate Reese 8/2/11
  • Options

I was properly numb for a little while, but then when they turned up the Pitocin because I still wasn't progressing, I felt everything. They redid it, and the same thing happened again. Obviously I knew they failed because I could feel every contraction, but the anesthesiologist also made a big deal about them failing (she didn't understand because they should were placed perfectly.)?

Trust me, if it fails, you will know. ?

Contemplating the snow.
    Mes Petit Choux
    imageimageimage
    I can't go back to yesterday - because I was a different person then. ~ Alice

• Options
    My first epi worked from 4.5 to 8 cm. Then it wore off on the left side. I could tell it wasn't working because I had no pain when it was working and then I stated to feel increasing pain. Since it only stopped working on the left, it was easy for me to tell that it wasn't working because I had the functional right side to compare it to. I switched positions and was given a bolus and neither helped. Thankfully, the anesthesiologist agreed to re-do the epi and the 2nd one worked. When it started working, it was glorious. I just felt pressure, no more pain.
  • Options

Mine was an epic FAIL!

I got the epidural, the anestheologist(sp?) told me it could take u p to 20 minutes before it totally took effect.  Well, half an hour later, I could still feel every contratctions and the pain was getting worse.  The nurse came in and gave me more drugs and told me to wait 20 minutes again.  Half an hour later, yep, the contractions are still getting stronger.  I was told I had to wait an hour to try again because of all the drugs in my system.  Well, I didn't make it to an hour since I went from 6cm to 10 cm in 20 minutes.

Afterwards, the nurse said the epidural didn't work because I was progressing too fast.

• Options

My epi didn't work on my right side.  How do I know?  Because I felt every single.god.damned.contraction on that side.  The pain got worse with each one.

The nurse kept trying to tell me that it was my ligaments stretching.  After a while, she believed me that it hadn't taken to that side. 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"