Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss
Options

Can you tell me about your D&C experience?

Hi ladies.  I was on this board back in March after my first m/c.  Now I mostly hang out on TTCAL.

Last Friday I found out about my second at my 10 1/2 week appointment.  Baby only developed to 7w1day.  I had cytotec right away.  However, the bleeding hasn't slowed down, so I called my OB yesterday.  They wanted me to come in yesterday afternoon for a follow up u/s.  My OB did a quick u/s on the mobile machine and said there is still a sac in my uterus. 

I am really anxious about the idea of having a D&C.  The only procedure I've had was getting my tonsils removed and that was like 20 years ago!  Right now, I think I just want it to be over and I don't want to deal with cytotec and wonder if the second dose worked or not.   

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Can you tell me about your D&C experience?

• Options

I'm sorry to hear about your loss.  I had a d &c and was also anxious about it.  I know everyone's experience is different, but mine was the the easiest part of the m/c.  I had an iv drip and went totally out under what they call twilight anesthesia- which makes you feel like yo are just going to take a nap.  It doesn't knock you out like the real deal stuff when you have to have  a lengthy procedure.  Afterwards, I woke up in the recovery room and was like "It's done already?".  I felt more sad than anything else, but relieved that I can start healing now. I bled a little in the hosp. and at home and then its started to lighten up.  I sleep for a few hours when I got home- woke up to eat and just laid on the couch.   My legs were sore the next day and a few days later I had crazy gas cramps.  That was the worse of it for me in the physical sense. 

Good luck and let me know if you need anymore info.   

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I'm with you - only had tonsils removed. I grew up in a very medical family and thought I would be fine. However, those last few minutes when I was wheeled into the OR were a bit scary.

My experience:

I had an awesome hospital. ALL the nurses, etc. knew why we were there and the during the hour long prep stuff (starting IV, checking my chart, etc.) they were all incredibly kind and gave us privacy (let us pull the curtain since you're in a big room with other patients).

My doctor and anesthes. both came and talked to us before the procedure. DH was allowed to stay with me until the very end. I wasn't nervous until I was actually in the OR, moving from my wheeled bed to the operating table, staring up at the big light. I'll be very honest. I did get a bit scared but it only lasted a second or two.

Fortunately the meds work fast. I remember thinking, "Hey, this isn't working. I'm wide awake." And the next second I was in recovery. No inbetween.

The nurses in recovery also (of course) knew why I was there and were incredibly compassionate. DH was allowed to see me within about 30 min of waking up (procedure only took 25 min). Again we were given privacy to cry and hold each other.

After I could drink juice and eat crackers they wheeled me out. I left 3 hours after the procedure started.

Good luck and I'm sorry you have to deal with this.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

oh, I am so sorry.

Well, I have had two d & c's after m/c's and then one more after I delivered my daughter. Honestly, it's not as bad as they sound. Surgery is scary period but with this I was in and out. There will be bleeding after but mine wasn't a lot. And you just have to take it easy. The dr.'s should give you meds for the pain and I think there's another one for your cervix.

MY FOUR ANGELS... M/C 12/26/02 AT 4 WEEKS M/C 12/31/07 AT 12 WEEKS, D & C M/C 12/5/08 AT 9 WEEKS, D & C ***BFP ON 3/26/09*** MARY REYNA BORN AND PASSED AWAY JULY 31ST, 2009 AT 23 WEEKS. GOODBYE SWEET BABY...I WILL MISS YOU FOREVER. ***AFTER 17 WEEKS ON BEDREST*** Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I am so sorry for your loss.  I agree that the D&E was the easiest part of the whole thing and I was terrified for mine (and don't handle medical situations well at all...i've jumped out of the blood draw chair in a panic!).  I was at the surgery center at 6AM and back in the car (and alert enough to be talking on the phone) by 8:40.  I also had the twilight anesthesia and the few seconds of thinking "it's not going to work!"  I was really nervous that I would feel myself being put under, but it's so quick that the next thing you know you're in recovery.  Afterwards,I only had bleeding for the couple of hours after and then it was just spotting for awhile.  They gave me a prescription for percocet but I never needed anything stronger than the motrin. 
    Baby May: Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Dot: BFP 6/8/09, missed m/c found 7/28 (11w3d) due to Monosomy X, D&E 7/31 Baby September: BFP 1/9/10, missed m/c found 2/8/10 (8w1d)
  • Options

I am so sorry you are back here.  I wish this was a one time only board and that no one ever has to come back. 

My d&c was really easy.  I had it done at the ob's office in their medical spa thing.  They let DH stay with me right until they took me into the procedure room.  They put me under twilight sedation at 10:45 am.  At 11:00 they wheeled me into recovery, brough DH in and I woke up five minutes later.  I was out of the office by 11:20.  I understand how scary surgery can be, no matter how "minor," but I am glad for the d&c.  I bled for 2.5 weeks, mostly lightly, but it sounds like that's fairly unusual.  Good luck! 

• Options

I'm so sorry for your loss. 

I just had my D&C today and it was a lot easier than I anticipated (physically).

I arrived to the surgical center at 10 and was leaving the doors at 1. I had the twilight sleep (IV sedation) and the last thing I remember is thanking the nurses & Dr when I was moving over to the OR table from the gurney. The next thing I knew, I was in recovery sitting in a recliner w/ my DH beside me.

I'm not even bleeding that badly and the cramps are minimal.

Honestly, I really thought I would be in rougher shape but it's almost like my body knows that it can recover now (and not wait for a m/c to complete its course).

GL!

Momma to three boys: Henry - 4yo Alex - 18mo Jack - born 2/23/12 at 20w due to ruptured uterus (previa and accreta resulting in hysterectomy) He only lived here on Earth for an hour, but he will live in our hearts forever. m/c #1: sept '09, m/c #2: july '10
  • Options
    I had mine last Oct. I had gone in the ER for the second time since finding out it was m/c and they found from the u/s they did it was a pmp so they had to do a D&C as that is the only way to clear it. While i was in pre op they gave me a nice "cocktail' though my IV to calm my nerves cuz they were horrible ( that was the worst week i had ever had). Because of the severity of the situation, they had to put me under general anesthesia due to possibly losing a tube or an ovary and also with PMP or CMP D&C's they may bleed too much and require a hysterectomy. The worst part i think was waiting to go in, and then recovery. I didnt have any spotting really or cramping. I felt like i was hit by a truck my upper body hurt so bad from the anesthesia and from having the breathing tube down my throat. It is a huge relief once its all over thought
  • Options
    Im so sorry for your loss. For me the D&C sounded really scary,but it really brought relief because i  wanted the m/c overwith. It went really quick and easy,no pain. the next day my legs and back were sore(mostly from my anxiety/stress) and i had some bleeding(even a little heavy at times) but its all normal and im so glad i did it the morning after i found out i had a missed m/c. Good luck and you will be fine :)
  • Options

I had a D&C last week and it was not nearly as bad as I thought it would be.  I had mine in the doctor's office. I was afraid to under with gen. anesthesia and they did not offer twilight anesthesia, so I opted to be awake. I was given some pain  meds (Lortab & Toradol) and then had a paracervical block.  The only pain I felt was a couple minutes of moderate cramping. The procedure was over in less than 10 mins.  I had very minimal cramping and bleeding for two days afterwards, and nothing since. 

I was extremely nervous before the D&C. I thought I was going to have a panic attack.  However, it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. 

I'm sorry you are having to go through this.  

• Options

I'm so sorry for your loss.  It sounds very similar to my loss.  I found out at almost 11 weeks and the baby was measuring about 8 weeks. I was put totally out for my D&C.  I went to the hospital and was admitted to the day surgery area.  They did my IV, gave me some meds to calm me down, and then after being in the presurgery area for maybe an hour, they wheeled me down to the surgery waiting area.  They let me go to the bathroom and then when my RE got there they wheeled me into the OR.  I had to climb from the gurnee I was on onto the table in the OR.  The anesthesiologist put me out pretty much right away.  I remember I started crying when I was laying there and he said, are you ready to go to sleep and then I started crying even more.  My RE held my hand as they gave me the anestheisa and that's the last thing I remembered.  It was over pretty quickly, about 40 minutes. I went back to the recovery area and they gave me some meds b/c I was very nauseous.  I ate some crackers and had some soda and then slept a while.  I was not feeling very well so I stayed for several hours, but I am really sensitive to anesthesia. 

The post d&c experience was really rough on me emotionally.  Physically wasn't that bad.  I had bad cramps and bleeding for a few days but then it tapered off into spotting.  I did pass some larger clots in the days following the d&c but it wasn't painful, just uncomfortable.  They gave me pain killers but I just took advil. 

I'm so sorry you are going through this.  I know my loss was almost a year and a half ago, but I can remember all of it like it was yesterday.  ((hugs)) to you.  Hang in there.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"