Baby Names

Maiden names as first names...

My MIL's maiden name is "Mirabella" and I love it for a baby girls first name.  DH does NOT like it.  My maiden name is Delaney, he likes that and I can't wrap my head about it being a first name spending my whole life with it as a last name??

Help??? Do you like either/both??? What about M/N options???

Re: Maiden names as first names...

• I love both! you are lucky to have maiden names that can be used for first names. Mine, notsomuch!

DH's moms maiden name is Dangerfield. He suggested we name our son Danger. Umm, no.

• I like Mirabella as a first or middle name for a girl. Delaney is my least favorite name for a girl (no offense!) so that one is NMS.
  • Loading the player...
  • Love Mirabella! Mimi or Belle are cute nn's.

You could also just do Mira. How about Mira Delaney.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • I like both-- but especially Delaney.
  • imagelsufan:
    I like both-- but especially Delaney.

Agreed

• imagenewportbride715:

Love Mirabella! Mimi or Belle are cute nn's.

You could also just do Mira. How about Mira Delaney.

Oh, I really love this idea- Mira is a beautiful name. I also really like Delaney- I know one and she is adorable...if it was me though, I would go with Mira or Mirabella nn Mira or Belle. Delaney is nice, but the alternative is better, IMO.

• I actually love both of them! I wish that I had maiden names to choose from that actually sound good. :p
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • You could do a variation of either one, too, like Mirabel or Laney. I knew a girl named Delana (de-layn-uh) and always thought that was pretty too.

• I like both!

~Kati~ Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My maiden name is Harrison, and I begged the hubby to let me name a boy that but he just isn't moving on it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Personally, I love both Mirabella and Delaney. And Delaney Mirabella and Mirabella Delaney are both pretty too.

My mother was pushing me to use my maiden name for Joseph's first name. But as I spent 34 years having people mispronounce it (it's a simple, one-syllable name, pronounced Dane, but it's got an unusual German spelling), I wasn't going to do that to my son.

• I don't care for either, but I prefer Mirabella. I've never heard of Delaney until I came on this board, but it seems to be popular.
  • I like Mirabella. Delaney is NMS. I can understand how using your last name as a first name would feel strange. I would feel the same way. 
  • imageCourtneyRDH:
    I don't care for either, but I prefer Mirabella. I've never heard of Delaney until I came on this board, but it seems to be popular.

ditto the bolded text.

• imageMrsCFB:

imageCourtneyRDH:
    I don't care for either, but I prefer Mirabella. I've never heard of Delaney until I came on this board, but it seems to be popular.

ditto the bolded text.

Same for me

• I love Mirabella.My friend's daughter is Mirabel Jane, and she goes by Mira. I think that's a beautiful, somewhat unusual name that still fits in with today's trends.

About Delaney, it's cute, but I feel the same way about giving DS #2 my maiden as his FN. It's Wheeler--so it's not bad, and it fits into the tradesman surname trend without being popular--but I just can't imagine someone having that as a first name when it was my last name for so long. 

I vote Mirabella.

• I love them both and I love them having a connection that is so meaningful..
  • What about using either as a middle name?  My maiden name is a very common boys name now - and it's DS's middle name.
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• I like both for middle names!! I would choose Delaney over Mirabella but both sound great.

I would love to use my maiden name as a name for our child but it just doesn't sound right with my married last name. We are using my mom's maiden name though as a middle name for a son.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I like both names...they sound great as first names
  • Mirabella is cute! Delaney? NMS, sorry. There are alot of maiden names out there that would make great 1st names. My maiden name? Not so much!
  • I like both names as a first name!  You are lucky to be able to choose from either or use both. I am trying to come up with a way to pass on my maiden name as it will be officially dying out after my generation.  Go for it!

• I like the idea. It isn't possible for me, my maiden name and my family's maiden names are too obscure.

Delaney is nms but I love the nn Laney. I can understand it being strange for you though but I think that would pass. Mirabella is nms either but would work. What about just Bella?

Delaney Mirabella is cute.

• I love them both!  You are so lucky to have great maiden names/family names to use, my are all way too "last name" to work. 

Anyway, I love Mira as a nn for Mirabella and Laney is a great nn for Delaney.  I think you could do Mirabella Delaney ____, but that might be a little much.  I'd probably choose my favorite and save the other one for the next daughter.  :)

DD february 2010 | DS october 2011

*please excuse my typos, bumping from my iphone*
  • Wow. You have some awesome MNs to choose from. I love both of them equally.

I would do very simple mns if I were you. 

• I like both names a lot!

We gave DS my grandma's maiden name and I love the meaning behind it.?

the bug & bee blog
    (read it. you know you want to.)
    anderson . september 2008
    vivian . february 2010
    mabel . august 2012
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I love both also!  :)
  • I love it.  My maiden name is Vaughn, which I will use for a first name if I ever have a son.  For me, it's a family tradition, as my father's name is Gibson which was a maiden name also.
    Sadie is not impressed.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    "This ribbon has been reported." - lovesnina
  • IMO it totally depends on the maiden name. Mine is Moore-I'd use it as a mn maybe but probably not a first name. My mom's maiden name is Thomas-so clearly it could be used as a first name.

In your situation, I prefer Delaney. 

S- March 09 E- Feb 12 L- May 15

• Both are VERY doable. I like both, but Delaney is more popular so I'd go with Mirabella nn Mira. Love Mira.
  • My son's name is Boston, my maiden last name.  It's not weird actually because it's just his name, I no longer associate it with my old last name.  Although it's weird when we're at a family function and another cousin yells for her child using first and last name and then I hear his name all day long.

I admit it was weird when my husband had our son's name tattooed on his leg and all I could think was, "Weird, he totally tattooed my last name on him."

You could compromise and use a name like Maribel.  I love that name and it's close without being the exact same.

• imagelsufan:
    I like both-- but especially Delaney.

I agree. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I like both! You're lucky to have two nice maiden/surnames to choose from. I love the significance of family names, and beyond DS' name (Cooper, which was DH's grandmother's maiden name), there aren't very many good ones in our family tree. 
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Like both of them, but Delaney is probably my favorite of the two.  It's on our list.  I like the nn Laney. 
  • Delaney is at the top of my list and that fact that it is a connection to you is really special IMO.  I also love belle names too and this is an uncommon one which is nice.

• I like both! If u don't prefer DeLaney so much what about naming her Laney!
  • If it sounds good, then I think it's great.  My maiden name is Davis and I've thought about that for a boys name a long time ago.
  • I like both - and I have heard Delaney as a girl's name.
  • imagelayla1704:

DH's moms maiden name is Dangerfield. He suggested we name our son Danger. Umm, no.

No no no....Danger's my MIDDLE name...

• I like using maiden names as a middle name if you have a good one. Delaney would be a nice middle name. I've already thought about it that DD could do this if she wanted, since our last name is Riley.
    imageimage
    Matilda 6/19/09
    Graham 10/25/13
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"