South Florida Babies

Daycare Meltdowns

Last Wed we started daycare again. L was with me since May, so with 3 months home with me, I knew it would be a challenging start. However, nothing prepared me for how difficult it was.

Wed morning, L was fine until he realized I had to go. I had prepped him for a while, telling him he was going to go to school soon, and since I had actually started the week before and he'd stayed with family, I figured he would be okay. Well, no. He was not okay. He cried, screamed, threw up the little breakfast he'd had, and spent the rest of the day between being semi-okay and bawling. I felt horrible. I didn't cry in front of him, but outside, I couldn't hold it in and my day sucked. When I went to pick him up, he had his paci on, and the moment he saw me he started crying and held on to me as if I were going to disappear. Talk about breaking a mother.

Thurs was a sort of repeat of Wed, only he'd woken up a little earlier so I fed him breakfast. He screamed, cried, turned red, threw himself on the floor so the teacher couldn't get him, but then he was better during the day. DH left early and showed up after naptime and waited for me to get there (long story, but he can't take L in his work car). L cried when he saw daddy, but was having a fun time in the playground when I got there.

Fri, cried the same in the morning. He had a bad night, waking up crying throughout the night, whimpering "no, no, no" and woke up at 5:45 am for the day. We had breakfast in the morning, but other than that, he didn't eat at school except for snacks (same on Wed and Thurs - he's not eating his meals at all!). His day, though, was better and he barely cried during the day, and when I went to pick him up, he didn't cry.

We spent the weekend up in Satellite Beach and although initially his nights were still interrupted with what seemed like nightmares, he eventually evened out and last night he slept wonderfully. I'm afraid, though, of him going back to daycare. Right now, he's going Wed-Fri since DH is off on Mon and Tues, but I'm considering taking him in on Tues, too. 

It gets better, right? I mean, when will he stop crying hysterically when I drop him off? Even though he's been in daycare since he was 8 months old, he's always had a hard time with drop off, just never THIS bad. Anywa words of encouragement or advice? Those of you off in the summer, are you going through the same thing?

Re: Daycare Meltdowns

• Yes it get's better! Mikey had a few meltdowns when he started his new daycare. Especially the times when I'd come back from being away with DH in DC the first few days I'd drop him off he'd cling to me like I was going to disappear. The teachers always told  me that when he did cry it was only for 5 minutes. Usually the minute he sees me picking him up he runs and won't leave my sight. But I'm assured from the teachers that his day goes smoothly. It'll get better. My best advice is to look at him and tell him you are leaving. Tell him you are coming back and when (even if he doesn't quite understand the concept of time). The worst thing you can do is slip out of the room. Never let him see you cry. Always leave him smiling even if its killing you inside.
  • imageFSUSammy:
    The teachers always told  me that when he did cry it was only for 5 minutes. Usually the minute he sees me picking him up he runs and won't leave my sight. But I'm assured from the teachers that his day goes smoothly. It'll get better. My best advice is to look at him and tell him you are leaving. Tell him you are coming back and when (even if he doesn't quite understand the concept of time). The worst thing you can do is slip out of the room. Never let him see you cry. Always leave him smiling even if its killing you inside.

ditto ditto ditto.  

Everything Sam said!

Hugs, mama.  It's not easy.

• Loading the player...
  • I just want to give you some ((hugs))

Hope it smooths out again.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • No experience here, but I just wanted to say ::HUGS:: and that I hope L starts to feel better about going to daycare. It sounds like Sam gave you really good advice though. Good luck! :)

• Ditto, Sam!!!!

HUGE BIG HUGS!!!!!!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Thanks, girls! :) Today was much better! He cried when I dropped him off, but he stopped right away - before I was even fully out the door he wasn't crying anymore. He ate most of his lunch and all of his snacks, and the teachers told me he danced, played, painted, and talked like crazy! :) Man, I felt like a novice again! Thanks for the hugs and the words of encouragement!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"