Dallas-Fort Worth Babies
Options

Clicky Poll re: vacation time

I'm going in for a second interview today, and they only offer 2 weeks, non-negotiable.  Grrr.  It seems like a good opportunity, great pay, and the actual boss seems very flexible.  He will let me work the hours I want (7:30-4:30), etc.  

The last company I worked for, I had 4 weeks (plus 2 personal days & holidays & 6 sickdays).  Every other company I have worked for starts off at 3.  Just curious what your experience is. 

[Poll]
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Clicky Poll re: vacation time

• Options
    We all know my PTO is effed up right now, but they start their associates at 2 weeks as well.  Thats for everything, personal days, sick days, vacation, everything. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    The Mouse ~ 06.12.08 | The Froggy ~ 02.23.11

• Options

2 weeks seem pretty standard to me.  I have always started new jobs with 2 weeks vacation.  That does not included sick time.  In fact where I am now, the Executive VP started with 2  weeks as well, it is non negotiable. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I only get 3 weeks and 6 sick days after working for the same company for 12 years. I won't get 4 weeks until after 15 years. It sucks. Good luck today!!
  • Options
    I currently get 3, but when I started I got 2 weeks. They usually start people off with 1 week.
  • Options

Two weeks vacation and 5 days of sick/personal.

After 8 years I get 3 weeks :S

ETA: I am in love with your new siggy.

• Options

When I was working, I got 8 hours a month for vacation.  After 6 months, I also got 8 hours a month for sick leave.  I also had 13 or 14 holidays a year.  Working for the government has it's perks...  Smile  After 5 years, I moved up to 9 hours a month for vacation and then 10 hours at 10 years.

I think 2 weeks is pretty standard.  That is what my sister gets at her job.

• Options
    Good luck! Standard vaca at my company is 2 years, but you get an extra week after 5 years, 2 extra weeks after 8 years, and so on. We also have 12 sick days a year, and we can use 5 of them as personal days if we want.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    If its non-negotiable...you can always try to get them to agree to a week off unpaid, just make sure to make up for it by negotiating your salary!  I have a few friends who have done that to get the extra time.
  • Options
    3 weeks for me and that includes vacation and sick days, but I only had two weeks when I first came to work here.
    Sophia Kate 3.31.08 BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    At my lat job (a non-profit) I started out with only 5 days vacation, 5 sick days, and all Govt. holidays. I earned 5 extra vaca and sick days each year. I agree, two weeks seems pretty standard.
  • Options

At my current employer, employees are given 1 week paid vacation after they complete their 90 day probation period. I am considered management so I was given 2 weeks and then we get 2 personal days, 5 sick days and 6 paid holidays per year as well.

When I worked for the Four Seasons, I was receiving 4 wks paid vacation, 5 sick days and then paid holidays, but I was there for over 10 yrs. Their vacation structure was 1 wk upon hire, 2 wks after either 2 or 3 years, 3 wks after 5 years and 4 wks after 10 yrs of employment. You also received a specific amount of comp hotel room nights that you could use @ other hotel properties and how many nights you received per year was also based on tenure with the company.

Although, this was 4 yrs ago and I have no clue what their structure is like now since it is possible that changes have been made with the distressed economy. I think a lot of companies have cut in areas of vacation time and other benefits due to the economy and in order to minimize having to do layoffs or make other drastic changes.

• Options

My employer had an EXCELLENT PTO policy... they've since changed it for new employees since they realized they were way better than everyone else in the industry but we got to keep our PTO schedule Big Smile

For the first 4 years, I got 4 weeks.  5-9 years, I get 5 weeks, and next year (when I hit 10 years!), I get 6 weeks!!!!  That is vacation and sick time combined.  We also get paid for 7 set company holidays and 3 floating holidays that we can use at anytime, for any reason.  We used to get 10, but we have a lot of non-christians so they took away 3 and gave them to us for use at anytime (Good Friday was one of them).

• Options
    2 weeks is pretty standard from asking several friends. I've been at my place of employment for 7 years and get 16 hrs a month plus we can carry over an unused PTO to the next year. Before Colton was born I had over 300 hrs of PTO. Now, I'm pretty sure I'm negative, lol. But yeah, 2 weeks seems standard. Good Luck with the interview!!
  • Options
    2 weeks is standard from my experience.  Good luck!
  • Options
    imageM&RinTexas:
    If its non-negotiable...you can always try to get them to agree to a week off unpaid, just make sure to make up for it by negotiating your salary!  I have a few friends who have done that to get the extra time.
     Great point, thanks R!  
  • Options
    imageJessibell:

ETA: I am in love with your new siggy.

thanks Jess <3 

• Options
    Depending on what level we're at, we accrue x hours per pay period toward vacation.  There is supposedly a cap, but I went over that cap until I took 2 weeks off this summer.  Not sure about sick time though b/c I've never called in sick here in the 4 years I've been here.
    Help for Haiti: Learn What You Can Do

BFP 12.20.2010 :: missed m/c 1/2011 around 8 weeks
    BFP @ 9dpo 5.24.2011 :: missed m/c 6/2011 around 7 weeks
    positive for ANAs (1:40) with a speckled pattern
    MTHFR c677t mutation (heterozygous)
    *folic acid, baby asprin, Prometrium, acupuncture, Lovenox*
    BFP @ 9dpo 2.1.2012 || HCG = 8 : Progesterone = 19.2
    2nd HCG @ 11dpo = 40 || 3rd HCG @ 21dpo = over 5000!
    Stick, little one, stick! EDD October 15, 2012
  • Options
    I answered 1 week, but I don't think mine should count too much. I teach, so I get time off when the kiddos do for the most part.
  • Options
    I am lucky in that I had good benefits and had 4 wks but norm at other locations is 1, maybe 2 wks tops.  I think it just depends on where you are working.  (I'm now doing contract work with higher pay and flexible scheduling but no benefits/PTO)
  • Options
    I get about 5 weeks of PTO, but that's my vacation, holidays and sick all rolled into one.  I work in healthcare, so we don't technically have holidays, we have to take pto :(
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"