Baby Showers
Options

this is going to sounds greedy but......(VENT)

i know this sounds horrible and selfish but why do people choose not to purchase off your registry. My shower is tomorrow and 1 item has been purchased off the registry. I know it might not be totally correct but whats the point in having one when no one buys off it.....heres a hint. I registered because there were certain items I needed or wanted. and I dont need 8 million receiving blankets and outfits people pick out. Sorry to vent but i was annoyed. i cant wait to see what i get. sorry if this sounds ungrateful but my little guy comes home in a couple of weeks and im getting stressed about going and getting everything he needs and dosnt get at the shower :)

thanks for letting me vent

Re: this is going to sounds greedy but......(VENT)

• Options
    Many people don't bother to let the person at the register know they are buying off a registry. It does not mean you did not receive anything from it. People also may be like me and purchase the same day. Good luck and I hope you enjoy your shower.
  • Options

My shower is on Sunday, and only a few items have been purchased from my registry.

I'm expecting to get a ton of clothes b/c I'm having a girl, and ppl can't resist little pink outfits... lol. I know it's frustrating, and it seems like it should be common sense that you register for things you need, so that's what people should buy. Unfortunately, not everyone uses common sense Wink

GL! I hope you get everything you need! 

border=
    DD 10/31/09 - BFP 3/22/11 M/C confirmed 4/9/11 at 8w4d - BFP 10/5/11 EDD 06/16/11 BabyFruit Tickerimageimageimage

*Vote on our Baby names*
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

this is exactly why we're buying all absolute necessities ourselves... it's our child after all and we're not about to rely on anyone else to take care of her.

• Options

I agree. Alot of people buy in store and just don t tell the person at the register.

Thats why I am buying online!!!

• Options
    imagekmtfu:

this is exactly why we're buying all absolute necessities ourselves... it's our child after all and we're not about to rely on anyone else to take care of her.

I'm sorry, but I found this incredibly rude. Obviously it's her baby, but the purpose of a baby shower is to "shower" the mother and father-to be with things that they will need to raise a baby--she said nothing about relying on people to take care of her baby for her...
    border=
    DD 10/31/09 - BFP 3/22/11 M/C confirmed 4/9/11 at 8w4d - BFP 10/5/11 EDD 06/16/11 BabyFruit Tickerimageimageimage

*Vote on our Baby names*
  • Options
    My experience is that you'll always have some guests that wait until the last minute and buy the day of. Enjoy your shower!
  • Options

I just keep thinking that maybe they got the items elsewhere for cheaper which is fine with me.. My shower is tomorrow, I have 2 registries- I chose the store that had the cheapest price on the items I wanted.. and only 6 items have been chosen.. I just hope that it all goes well, and I am going to try to remember that we will make it work somehow.

Good luck! Keep your head up!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Don't freak out.  I bet you'll get more stuff than just that one thing.  It's friday and people get paid today or just wait til the last minute.  Honestly, the last 3 days leading up to my shower were the big registry days.  I ended up getting every big item I registered for.  Every single one.  Don't worry, it'll be great and you can always take stuff back you don't want or need.
  • Options
    imageNew Wife:
    I know it might not be totally correct but whats the point in having one when no one buys off it.....heres a hint. I registered because there were certain items I needed or wanted.

How awful of people to think it was YOUR responsibility - not theirs - to get the things you need and want. Why not just assign them a purchase to make in the invitation?

And surely you would never have researched any baby items for your own purchase...

• Options
    Sorry you are so stressed.  This is why we are prepared to buy everything we need for the baby ourselves.  Yes, a shower is to "shower" the mom-to-be with gifts, but it doesn't say anything about showering the mom with the specific gifts she wants.  A registry is ultimately just a guideline and people will do what they want when purchasing gifts.  Personally, I like buying off registries, but I will admit to also purchasing an additional nonregistry item if I think it's cute.  Try to focus on that it's the thought that counts and I hope you have a wonderful shower!
  • Options

WOOT! WOOT! WOOT! *Sound the alarm*  Greedy pregnant woman alert! Greedy pregnant woman alert!!

Ungrateful much? Gees louise.  YOUR FRIENDS, FAMILY, COWORKERS AREN'T OBLIGATED IN ANY WHICH WAY TO BUY YOUR KID ANYTHING.  ITS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY. BE GRATEFUL THAT  YOU HAVE THOUGHTFUL ENOUGH PEOPLE IN YOUR LIFE THAT GIVE 2 SHIITS THAT YOU ARE HAVING A KID AND CHOOSE TO MARK THAT OCCASION WITH A GIFT FOR YOUR OR YOUR KID.

Got it? Hope so. Because you are making the rest of us NORMAL pregnant ladies look bad.

Super Angry 

• Options
    I will admit, it does sound kind of greedy. BUT, who isn't greedy at some point in their life, pregnant or not??  Stick out tongue  I understand what your saying, but you still need to be grateful for what people are giving you. I just got home from buying a baby shower gift and the shower is tomorrow morning. *oops* I procrastinate at everything; and to make it worse the cashier was not so bright and didn't get the whole putting it on the registry that it was fulfilled. Most people give gift receipts, so if you don't need it, just take it back and get what you do need. Everything will work out great. Just enjoy your shower!! Big Smile
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    omg... i just posted this same question! i feel the same way. my dh's aunt told me to announce my theme so that everyone could buy things related to that. my son's bedding will be elephants, but i don't want EVERYTHING with elephants on it! i want things off my registry. plus i just know that they will pick out tacky outfits for him.
  • Options

imagelaureneyoung@hotmail.com:
    omg... i just posted this same question! i feel the same way. my dh's aunt told me to announce my theme so that everyone could buy things related to that. my son's bedding will be elephants, but i don't want EVERYTHING with elephants on it! i want things off my registry. plus i just know that they will pick out tacky outfits for him.

Wow, just wow. You are one greedy, ungrateful pregnant woman.  WAY TO GO GIRL! Way to make the rest of us look bad. 

You suck.  Sorry, but you do. Ick!Indifferent

• Options
    imageKatalen72:

Wow, just wow. You are one greedy, ungrateful pregnant woman.  WAY TO GO GIRL! Way to make the rest of us look bad. 

Well said.  Well said.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Emily 8.8.08
    Madeline 1.2.11
    William 8.5.12
  • Options
    Wow. I'm always hesitant to post anything on this blog because it seems no matter what you say, or what you ask, there is someone who makes you out to be a horrible person. The thing is, we don't know what kind of day this girl had, or how crappy she feels. She is ALLOWED to vent. We all are, and we should all understand that at some point we all need to vent because of everything that is going on with our bodies right now...Regardless of whether we agree with the venting or not.
  • Options
    I hope that you are pleasantly surprised at your shower. Best of luck with your little boy! :)
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

imageAkcobble:
    Wow. I'm always hesitant to post anything on this blog because it seems no matter what you say, or what you ask, there is someone who makes you out to be a horrible person. The thing is, we don't know what kind of day this girl had, or how crappy she feels. She is ALLOWED to vent. We all are, and we should all understand that at some point we all need to vent because of everything that is going on with our bodies right now...Regardless of whether we agree with the venting or not.

Yes, she is allowed to post her vent and we are allowed to tell her she sounds like a brat. See how that works?

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options

imageAkcobble:
     Since when was this a blog??  Are you confuzzled?

Yes, and she also deserves to know how incredbly selfish and immature she sounds too.  Everyone needs a kick in the ass sometimes you know?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Emily 8.8.08
    Madeline 1.2.11
    William 8.5.12
  • Options

She has the right to post about how greedy she is, sure.

But I have the right to tell her that she's selfish and she should thank her lucky stars that someone is willing to fork out a sizeable chunk of money to host this shower and that the guests are willing to spend their hard-earned money on a GIFT.  Something that isn't required!  Something that is given because people are excited about the little bundle of joy in her belly.  So what if you get outfits, at least you and your baby were loved enough to have someone care so much as to pick out that outfit!

Sisters:  Now and then.

imageimage

Elijah's 1st day of Kindergarten!
  • Options
    imageKatalen72:

Why are you apologizing?  She totally sucks.

• Options

I think you sound greedy. Some people are just old-fashioned and have no idea what a registry is. Others, can't afford what you did pick out, so they buy a few $8.00 outfits instead. People wait til the last minute to buy stuff. Maybe they bought it somehwhere else. Maybe the cashier didn't take it off the registry. In retrospect, maybe you should have just charged admission.

Hopefully your guests aren't aware of how selfish you sound.

• Options
    imagewhitneyandbrook:
    imagekmtfu:

I'm sorry, but I found this incredibly rude. Obviously it's her baby, but the purpose of a baby shower is to "shower" the mother and father-to be with things that they will need to raise a baby--she said nothing about relying on people to take care of her baby for her...

you found it rude that I'm not relying on anyone else to take care of my baby??? If ANYONE gets upset about G I F T S  they receive or don't receive, they are the rude ones, not me chickidoo.

• Options
    I don't think its rude. I am sorry but why pick our something that is your own style instead of the moms? Plus if she has some handme downs why not put them to good use. She never mentioned she wanted someone else rais her child. I plan to do a lot of research on items that are safe, easy to use, etc. I dont want a stroller that weighs more than I can handle for example.... PLUS Dont forget this.. this mom has a ex 25 weeker. If anyone knows anything about hospital stays she may owe a ton of money. We are talking a 6 figure bill out of a NICU. Thats something no one plans for or can afford. Maybe insurance will pay some of it but even if its 90% covered 10% of a lot is a lot... No one critizes when a child has cancer and parents ask for help... Just saying
    BFP #1 4/6/09; EDD 12/6/09; miscarriage 4/10/09..............BFP #2 5/3/09; DD born 1/9/10........BFP #3 12/15/12, EDD 8/31/13; baby stopped growing at 5w3d; natural miscarriage..........BFP #4 2/8/13, EDD 10/20/13; missed miscarriage discovered 9w2d; d/c.......BFP #5 10/22/13, EDD 7/8/13; miscarriage 10/28/13..... BFP #6 11/19/13; DS born 7/29/14 {\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252 {\fonttbl\f0\fswiss\fcharset0 Helvetica;} {\colortbl;\red255\green255\blue255;\red51\green51\blue51;\red255\green255\blue255;} \deftab720 \pard\pardeftab720\sl280\partightenfactor0 \f0\fs22 \cf2 \cb3 \expnd0\expndtw0\kerning0 \outl0\strokewidth0 \strokec2 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker} {\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252 {\fonttbl\f0\fswiss\fcharset0 Helvetica;} {\colortbl;\red255\green255\blue255;\red51\green51\blue51;\red255\green255\blue255;} \deftab720 \pard\pardeftab720\sl280\partightenfactor0 \f0\fs22 \cf2 \cb3 \expnd0\expndtw0\kerning0 \outl0\strokewidth0 \strokec2 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker}
  • Options
    I agree with you, DH and i took the time to figure out stuff we'd like so shower guest should take the time to see what's on it and get stuff. We put a bunch of organic and sensitive skin stuff on ours because that's what I want. I know when I go to a shower I go the day before and pick from the registry, so people could be waiting until the last minute and sometimes the people buying don't understand they need to have the person checking them out scan the registry paper so it's shown as purchased. My shower with my DH's family is next weekend I'm worried no one will look at mine.
  • Options

Here's an idea...

How about you provide for your child YOURSELF instead of expecting guests at your shower to provide for your child? 

Here's another idea...

How about you be thankful for what you DO receive?   So what if you get 8 million receiving blankets.  Return some if it's that big of a deal!

Reminder:  Registries are NOT mean to set rules for your guests to follow.  They are there for those guests who want ideas on what you might want or need. 

• Options

My experience:

I set up a registry online at bru. We live an hour and a half away from the closest one. I chose bru because they have more of a selection then wal mart or kmart. However, my boyfriend and I both decided that the registry was just for the purpose of suggestions. We didn't actually expect us to get anything at all at our shower because we wanted it to be more about the fact that we had so much love and support from our friends and family rather than scoring girfts. I will say this though, I was perferring if anyone get us anything that they get us useful stuff. But at the same time, I assumed that wouldn't be the case so I didn't get my hopes up for anything. My boyfriend and I were pretty much going to prepare ourselves to buy everything on our own after the shower.

The shower went great. Not a lot of people showed up but those who I care about most did and that's all that mattered to me. I was so touched by the amount of support that I felt that day! It was overwhelming. We got a lot of stuff... half of what we needed and half of what we didn't need. I didn't care either way though. I was just happy to have had those who came come because to me it was their way of showing how much they love us.

If I were you I wouldn't expect any material thngs from people. Just expect their love and support. It will make your life so much easier :)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imagewhitneyandbrook:
    imagekmtfu:

Actually OP said "sorry if this sounds ungrateful but my little guy comes home in a couple of weeks and im getting stressed about going and getting everything he needs and dosnt get at the shower "   Which sorta implies she was expecting her shower to provide all the things she needs for her baby.

The purpose of a shower is to shower with GIFTS. Gifts implies whatever someone wants to buy you.....not for them to buy you everything you need.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Gosh, if you're anything like this IRL I wouldn't have gone to your shower NOR would I have bought you a gift.  You should not expect other people to buy you what you need.  You shouldn't expect anything at all, and be grateful for anything you are given.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"