Preemies

Question for the Preemie Mom's:

I lurk on here alot since finding out that my LO will be born early. I have IC/PTL with High BP & GD, and I have been on Bed Rest since 22 weeks. So LO may come at any time.

So I was wondering, What you ladies could not live with out for you LO? What has made you life with a Preemie easier? I want to be prepared as possible. TIA

Re: Question for the Preemie Mom's:

• I hope your body surprises you and you are able to keep that baby baking as long as possible, but if a premature birth does occur, you have come to the right place for support!

My first recommendation is to get a good preemie book. ?A lot of terminology will be thrown at you during a NICU stay. ?The March of Dimes recommends 'Preemies: ?The Essential Guide for Parents of Premature Babies' and most moms on here use it as their bible. ?'The Preemie Book' by Dr. Sears is also very good. ?These books cover everything that could potentially arise with a premature baby so DO NOT read it cover to cover, only look things up as they pertain to you.?

?If you are planning on breastfeeding, invest in a good breastpump. ?I had a Medela that was pricy, but very worth it. ?Most hospitals rent them too. ?Sometimes insurance will even cover them so you may want to look into that.

A boppy pillow made holding the baby in the NICU a lot more comfortable since preemies often have lots of wires attached and can make holding a little awkward. ?Boppy pillows are just great all round though.... preemie or not.

That's all I can think of right now. ?Good luck to you. ?I know first hand just how hard bedrest can be. ?You can get through this though!!! ?Hang in there and come visit us here whenever you need/want support!?

Claire Avery born at 32 weeks on 10/25/06 Keira Leigh born at 27 weeks on 4/29/08
  • Once ds was home, the Boppy Lounge Pillow was amazing.
  • Loading the player...
  • The moby wrap was my lifesaver once she was home. I was still able to kangaroo care with her and have two hands free to move around. She was so tight against my chest that she was comfy.

The other thing was the Arm's Reach Co-Sleeper. I felt much safer having her right next to me and easy to reach. I loved that it was on wheels so we could move it all around the house very easily. Used it for everything from naps, sleeping, to a changing table. Loved it!

The last thing I will recommend is the Angelcare monitor. It gave me a peace of mind when she was in her own room and crib. Best monitor ever!

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Katie: 1/16/08 2lbs. 15oz.
    Abby & Emily: 12/31/10 6lbs. 2oz. & 5lbs. 7oz.
  • Hosptial grade breast pump, see if your insurance will cover it.

Bouncy chair

swings 

recieving blankets

cloth diapers for burp rags 

the book Preemie: The essential guide for parents of premature babies (but only read the parts that pertain to you in the moment, do not read ahead or to parts that you are not dealing with.  you will scare yourself silly)

Medela quick steam sterilizer bags (keep it in the diaper bag)

hand sanitizer in every room

books to read to your LO in their isolette

pictures in your LO's isolette of you and Dh

• Wow, congrats and hope you're feeling well.  If LO decides to come early, being prepared is best.  I agree with everything mentioned already especially hand sanitizer in every bathroom/room. 

You will need preemie diapers, very difficult to find where I am so when we did, we stocked up on them.  We also kept a thermometer by the changing table so we could take our little girl's temp just as we learned in the NICU.  We needed Mylicon for gas issues but you may not.  A boppy pillow is a must have and a comfu chair/glider as well.

Finally, things you absolutely need to make it through this stressful time is a positive outlook, a good support system and time for yourself.  Do not read everything, trust your gut feelings since you are the Mom and be open to help from family.

happy 'baking baby' thoughts.  :)

imageLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • My Moby wrap. Like someone else said, you can do kangaroo care and still get things done.  Good luck!  I hope your little one stays in as long as possible!!!
  • my husband.  he played a huge role in helping care for our baby when she was born.  he would call the hospital to check in on her and also go in before work to see her.  he was my rock and kept me sane during those wacky hormonal episodes.
  • Ditto on the Boppy.  I would hold off on stocking up preemie diapers though.  You never know how long your LO will be in the NICU and how big he'll be when he leaves.  DD left wearing the newborn size & I know when her roommate went home she was probably in the size 1's.  Plus the hospital will give you some diapers when you leave, so you won't have to run out to the store right way.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"