Adoption
Options

NAR XP: Can some of y'all weigh in on my Nest post?

https://community.thenest.com/cs/ks/forums/21725863/ShowThread.aspx#21725863

Totally off topic of course, but I know most of you own pets, and I think that most of you tend to give more informed answers than the average nestie/bumpie.

Regardless, I have a great deal of anxiety about this situation.

Re: NAR XP: Can some of y'all weigh in on my Nest post?

• Options
    I think it is nice of you to step in but wow, what a responsibility! I have 2 dogs, 12 lbs and 20 lbs., and my vet would not do rabies and distemper on the same day bc of their size. FWIW.
    Photobucket My Favorite Part of Spring~Red Sox Baseball!
  • Options

I don't see why you couldn't get them all done at once.  But even more importantly, just call a local vet, tell them you have a new kitten- not from a shelter, and that you want to know what shots are needed before she can be exposed to your existing pets.  They will know exactly what to do and if they can all be done at once.  I actually don't think that the rabies is necessary before introduction because I know we have brought home babies from the shelter without rabies because they were too young. 

I *think* that if you wanted to move the kitten into a bathroom, or guest room where you could close the door, that it would be safe to have her there until you got to the vet.  She would be alone, but at least your cats could hear/ smell her and start to get used to her. 

Good luck (and I have to say that I would have ended up not only rescuing the litter but keeping at least one, too!)

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I don't know much about the scheduling of the shots, but the vet's office should be able to tell you that if you call or at your visit.

If you do decide to introduce the kitten to your cats, however, it is best to do this slowly and over time.  This will help establish a hierarchy of dominance amongst them, and will minimize any fighting.  Bring the kitten upstairs and put her in a room where you can close the door, but the cats can smell one another through the door for a day or so.  They may end up meowing through the door or batting underneath it at one another, but this is their way of interacting when separated.  Then, for short intervals of time, let the kitten out and play with it and the other cats together.  Cat nip is a great aid to make all the cats play together and be in a good mood.  Keep at this for a few days, increasing the time the kitten spends out of the room.  Eventually, the kitten will integrate into the family and you should not have too many problems.

• Options
    imageCaptainSerious:

I don't know much about the scheduling of the shots, but the vet's office should be able to tell you that if you call or at your visit.

If you do decide to introduce the kitten to your cats, however, it is best to do this slowly and over time.  This will help establish a hierarchy of dominance amongst them, and will minimize any fighting.  Bring the kitten upstairs and put her in a room where you can close the door, but the cats can smell one another through the door for a day or so.  They may end up meowing through the door or batting underneath it at one another, but this is their way of interacting when separated.  Then, for short intervals of time, let the kitten out and play with it and the other cats together.  Cat nip is a great aid to make all the cats play together and be in a good mood.  Keep at this for a few days, increasing the time the kitten spends out of the room.  Eventually, the kitten will integrate into the family and you should not have too many problems.

I agree. When we brought home our second cat, our vet suggested we take a month, or even longer, to introduce the two cats. We did the "under the door sniffy and swatting" thing for at least a couple weeks. It was a hassle, but it was worth it in the end. Our cats are best friends. HTH!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"