Northern California Babies

Protein in urine in early PG?

I just got my lab results from my urine test this afternoon. My protein level was 20. Normal range is 0-9. Also my white blood cells were "small" when normal should be "negative".

Should I be worried? Should I call? Or should I assume that if it is an issue they will call me for a follow up?

I'm really  really hoping this is just a UTI and not the beginnings of something more ominous or in need of management.

Greyson Ray ~ July 31 2006 | WinterRose Elizabeth ~ April 28th 2010 Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
The Blog | BirthbyKellyM

Re: Protein in urine in early PG?

• Do you know what the SG (specific gravity) was? If it's high, that means you just didn't drink enough water that day most likely. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • SG is in normal range. I definitely had no had much water at that point in the day though. I also didn't know i'd be giving a urine sample and went right before I left the house and to force some out of me for the collection.
    Greyson Ray ~ July 31 2006 | WinterRose Elizabeth ~ April 28th 2010 Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    The Blog | BirthbyKellyM
  • Loading the player...
  • I don't know that you should be worried, but since I always worry about stuff like that, I'd probably call to find out what the results mean.
    imageLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imagetri_bride05:
    I don't know that you should be worried, but since I always worry about stuff like that, I'd probably call to find out what the results mean.

You sound like me ;) I'm such a worry wart

The Blog | BirthbyKellyM
  • yeah, it can't hurt to call, but I wouldn't be too worried. 
  • imageCelyn:
    Do you feel like you have a UTI?

I've never had one, I don't know what one would feel like. I just kind of generally feel like crap though.

The Blog | BirthbyKellyM
  • I don't know about protein but it doesn't sound like an alarming amount, also in pg white blood cells are increased because there's a baby in there and it's just how your body responds.
  • I would call, but that's because I'm not one to have enough patience to wait for someone to call me.  The high protein can possibly be indicative of a thyroid issue and I'm assuming that small on the WBC means you had a small amount present, if so then I would lean towards a slight UTI, super common during pregnancy.
  • imagejsugrin:
    I would call, but that's because I'm not one to have enough patience to wait for someone to call me.  The high protein can possibly be indicative of a thyroid issue and I'm assuming that small on the WBC means you had a small amount present, if so then I would lean towards a slight UTI, super common during pregnancy.

I *just* had my thyroid checked a couple months ago. that was normal. 

I guess i'll give a call tomorrow.

The Blog | BirthbyKellyM
  • imagejsugrin:
    I would call, but that's because I'm not one to have enough patience to wait for someone to call me.  The high protein can possibly be indicative of a thyroid issue and I'm assuming that small on the WBC means you had a small amount present, if so then I would lean towards a slight UTI, super common during pregnancy.

I *just* had my thyroid checked a couple months ago. that was normal. 

I guess i'll give a call tomorrow.

The Blog | BirthbyKellyM
  • I had the same (nearly exact) results with my first appointment with my pregnancy with Sabrina. Kind of long story but obviously happy ending.

The NP (Kaiser has you see a NP first, no way around it) said it was nothing to worry about, it was normal. The specimin likely wasn't totally clean. 

I stewed about it for a week then emailed my OB, and if I recall correctly, she also said it was fine.

About 2 weeks later, I started bleeding. I was positive I was miscarrying again. They found her heartbeat in the ER, but had no idea why I was bleeding. Said it was "common".

Later that week I started bleeding again - quite a bit. 

I got in to see my doc, she did an exam and immediately knew where the bleeding was coming from, and why I had protein and WBC's in my urine. I had a cervical polyp, a totally benign growth but one that caused bleeding (hence the protein) and also caused WBC's - and also why I bled throughout the entire pregnancy. So I had protein and WBC's  on and off throughout my pregnancy each time I had a urine test (which was weekly since I went on bedrest at that time for unrelated issues). They wouldn't do anything about the polyp while pregnant, especially with my cervical issues, so I just had to deal with it. It disappeared at delivery like my OB thought it would.

I don't think they're super common, but they're not totally uncommon, either. Anytime my protein or WBC's crept into a range that they felt was too high for the polyp, they would do a cathertized sample to be sure things were okay and they always were.

God, I do not miss being pregnant. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageMrs.K&C:

I got in to see my doc, she did an exam and immediately knew where the bleeding was coming from, and why I had protein and WBC's in my urine. I had a cervical polyp, a totally benign growth but one that caused bleeding (hence the protein) and also caused WBC's - and also why I bled throughout the entire pregnancy. So I had protein and WBC's  on and off throughout my pregnancy each time I had a urine test (which was weekly since I went on bedrest at that time for unrelated issues). They wouldn't do anything about the polyp while pregnant, especially with my cervical issues, so I just had to deal with it. It disappeared at delivery like my OB thought it would.

I don't think they're super common, but they're not totally uncommon, either.

Hey I had the same thing!

• imagem&m818:
    imageMrs.K&C:

I don't think they're super common, but they're not totally uncommon, either.

Hey I had the same thing!

SHUT UP! I thought I was the only one on the boards - even my IF boards, no one had one. We're polyp sisters!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"