High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

GD diet ?s

I had a 1 hour today and I don't really expect to pass.  I've felt terrible all day because I'm just not used to drinking pure sugar.  If I go for the three (assuming I've failed) on Wednesday then I won't find out until Friday those results.  Yes, I'm planning ahead here because this is going to be a rough 22 weeks food wise as I starved last time.  Anyone have good ideas on how to get through the weekend food wise?  My husband will be home for the weekend from training and I want to be able to enjoy it with him, but I'll obviously have him watching everything I eat and worrying if I'm going to take care of myself when he's gone again (and I will).  I don't remember the diet except that there's nothing to eat really.  Are there any vegetarians here that have GD?  I need more suggestions along those lines and not meat laden since it doesn't sit well with me at all.  I can eat eggs on rare occasion and tuna on very rare occasion but they still make me very nauseous.  Meat and poultry make me sick and I can't cook it either.  And I don't eat pork.  I appreciate any help. 

Re: GD diet ?s

• Options

Protein - 7g is a serving. You can get it from cottage cheese, regular cheeses, peanut butter, tofu or morningstar/boca burger type foods. Also, greek yogurt is very high in protein, much higher than regular yogurt (I feel like I say this all the time on here - I swear I don't sell the stuff, I've just been eating massive quantities of it since I just can't stand the idea of eating meat for a snack and there's only so much cheese and PB I can eat, but apparently my love for yogurt has no bounds!)

South Beach bars are pretty popular snack items since they are 1 protein serving and 1 carb serving so easy to grab and go.

Carbs are not forbidden, they just have to be balanced with protein. Depending on how bad your GD is and your size/calorie needs you'll probably eat anywhere from 30-60g of carbs per meal and 15-30g at snacks(mine are 45g at meals and 15g at snacks)

So normally with my dinner I eat 1-2 servings of rice (third cup each serving) or a serving of mashed potatoes (half cup serving) and then another carb or two (I usually make one of them fruit or a pudding cup or sugar free ice cream).

I don't know what you normally eat, but something like veggie/tofu stirfry would still be fine. Tell us what you normally eat and I bet we could come up with some ideas.

- Jena
  • Options

The bad part is I don't have a normal diet.  I just eat what stays down.  I can eat a little chicken as long as I have pickles on hand.  For some reason I'll keep that down if I eat pickles.  I eat a lot of beans, peanut butter and cheese right now.  And I haven't changed my carbs either which is generally about 10 servings a day.  Last time I could not eat much in the way of carbs because it spiked my numbers even with protein and I didn't want further monitoring or to have to even think about insulin.  (The less needles I have to deal with the less stress for me mentally/emotionally.)  I stuck to the same things pretty much every day.  I ate a measured out serving of crackers and two pb sandwiches for my carbs everyday last time.  And there were a lot of veggies I had to give up as well last time like peppers, tomatoes, zucchini and many more that I just can't think of right now.  I was told to add tofu to my diet once a week for extra protein.  I can do that, but I'm having trouble finding a recipe that's good that doesn't involve teriyaki or ginger flavors.  I believe I was allowed 30 g for breakfast last time and 45g for lunch and dinner.  15 for snacks.  I was given a sheet of some of this stuff but it was for the non-vegetarians and it's packed away in a box somewhere in storage.

I'll give the Greek yogurt a try though.  I've been wanting to try that.  Is there anything that can be done to flavor it.  I don't like plain.  And I also don't do artificial sweeteners if I can help it.  They are not very nice on my stomach on a regular basis.  I drank coke zero on occasion last time and my stomach was wrecked by the end of the pregnancy.  I can't look at another diet style soda.

ETA: I should add that I'll put up with eating meat and just deal with the morning sickness that comes with it. I'm just trying to wrap my head around food right now and nothing sounds appealing or tastes good.  So, that's why it's hard for me to come up with ideas.  Whatever I eat is just going to be forced so the ideas given are appreciated.  :-)

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    GL!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

BFP#1 on 02/14/09 BIRTH to Mason 6lb9oz on 10/12/09

BFP#2 on 5/28/11 EDD 2/1/12 Natural M/C on 6/13/11

BFP#3 on 1/20/12 EDD 9/30/12 Natural m/c on 1/27/12

BFP#4 on 4/23/12 BIRTH to Isabella 7lb1oz on 12/19/12

• Options

Those veggies you list are generally considered to be "free". Did you give them up because of blood sugar problems or just because they hurt your stomach?

You can buy the silken tofu and put it in a smoothie if that would be easier.

Here's a tofu recipe with peanut sauce - I haven't tried it yet, but I'm very into peanut sauce right now: https://www.recipezaar.com/Simple-Tofu-With-Peanut-Butter-Vietnamese-128069

Adding flavor to the greek yogurt is easy -making it sweet without artificial sweeter is not. I avoided all artificial sweetner last pg, but this time around I have been sucking down tons of it which I'm not wild about but I just can't seem to do without it. I have a store-brand "all fruit" type jelly that has 7g carbs per TBS, which I use to add flavor to the yogurt. That might also make it sweet enough for you. Usually I add vanilla extract and splenda. Depending on how your BS reacts, you might be able to add a serving of fruit to it - a serving of blueberries is 3/4 cup, so with just a half cup of yogurt it ends up being like blueberries in a yogurt sauce.

- Jena
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"