Northern California Babies

Daycare foods for toddlers

For moms that have sent their toddler to full-day daycare, what foods do you send with them? Also how much per portion?

I've been sending jarred food so far, but G's starting to outgrow the purees and is looking for more foods he can pick up and feed himself with. Honestly, I'm at a loss on what to send.

Any ideas?

Re: Daycare foods for toddlers

• When C was starting to self feed, we gave him slightly firm avocado in chunks, cheese (string cheese in small pieces), banana sliced up, chicken cut up in pieces, turkey meatballs in small pieces, toast, well cooked cubed veggies, pasta in butter and cheese (just tossed and served room temperature or cold). 
  • Quesadilla, steamed and cubed veggies, cubed fruits, whole beans, shredded chicken, cubed meatballs, yogurt, crackers, cheese.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Have you done broccoli yet? Riley tried some of mine last night. I gave him a little piece of the flowering part and he gobbled it down. I broke off chunks in just large enough pieces for him to pick up.

We also found out he likes pumpkin bread and carrot muffins this weekend. 

• For breakfast I send pancakes and waffles that make ahead and freeze. They thaw them in microwave for her. For lunch and snack I send string cheese that I cut into fourths and they pull apart for her. Ritz crackers, Mac n cheese, just macaroni plain and she loves yogurt.
  • I forgot C's favorite food -- blueberries.  For big ones, I halved, for smaller ones, I smushed. :)
  • I have to send a cold lunch with an icepack with my 2 year old to school.  It almost always contains a snack trap with crackers inside, a dish of fruit (grapes, cut up strawberries, oranges, apples, etc. - whatever we have around), and the "entree" which is usually leftovers from dinner the night before.  Most often cut up pieces of chicken or steak.  If there were no leftovers, my go to is mac & cheese.  He'll eat it cold the next day, same with chicken nuggets.

My kid isn't a huge fan of sandwiches, but I know lots of other moms send that - either deli meat or PB&J.

• I regularly send (she goes to a nanny share twice a week at the other family's house):

spinach and beef ravioli, elbow mararoni with olive oil and cheese, avocado, fruit, peas, lasagna, a turkey and cheese sandwich, baby carrots that are steamed, tofu, morningstar soy nuggets, turkey meatballs, yogurt, sliced cheese, tilapia, etc.  There is a line of organic frozen foods you can get at WF (the brand name is escaping me right now) and they make breaded 'fish' sticks-basically salmon and veggies that are then breaded and baked.  Those are tasty.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • You've gotten some great ideas.  We send two meals (in nifty cooler in lid containers) plus snacks.  B-fast is usually an omelette or scrambled eggs plus fruit(blueberries are the best, but also bananas, mango, just about anything) and yogurt or cottage cheese.  Lunch is a mini meal (I c&p our mini meals below from my post last week) plus cubed veggie (zuchini or sweet potatoes, basically anything that comes in the csa boxed steamed) and crackers.  Snack is cubed cheese, strips of lunch meat and probably another cracker. 

Examples of mini meals: Tandoori Chicken w/spinach, onions and rice; Ground beef meat sauce and spaghetti - 3 variations; chicken w/mushrooms and rice in a broth base; Curry chicken and rice; chicken pesto and pearl cous cous; ground turkey w/ polenta, peppers and cheese sauce; salsa chicken(board recipe), and a few things to stuff in pitas - chicken salad and black beans/chicken/salsa/cheese

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Sabrina's been self feeding for a while so this is some of what I send now (obviously not all at once)- I send a container for the morning and one for the afternoon. Then I include snacks like a cheese stick and/or cereal bar

Keep in mind, my kid doesn't like fruit

Breakfast:

Scrambled eggs

veggie sausage

pancakes

waffles

yogurt

cottage cheese

Oatmeal with fruit

applesauce

Lunch (the mixed veggies are usually a combo of veggies from my parents garden and/or store bought stuff...just whatever I get that week)

veggie burger and mixed veggies

turkey meatballs from TJ's (thanks to the board!), mixed veggies

Pasta with mixed veggies

Brown rice, pinto beans, shredded chicken

Rice with mixed veggies

All sorts of beans, she loves them (kidney, pinto, and her new thing is edamame)

Then she just eats whatever we're having for dinner.

I make her food on Sundays and store it in individual containers for the week. It makes life much easier that way.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"