Baby Showers

invitation wording, need you honest opinions please

my friends are hosting my shower and asked me to make the invite picture, which i did then they showed me the wording they would use, i like it so far but i'm torn about the diaper raffle prize thing, and the wording for the registries. should they use just the store names? or specify like they did only some things at target?
what are your thoughts on this? my main concern is the diaper raffle coming off as tacky or rude.

here is the wording

The celebration will be held at
xxxxxx

RSVP by October 17th
xxxxxx
Hosted by xxxxxxx

The expectant couple has a baby registry with Babies R Us and some items at Target.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A bag of diapers for lil "ol" me, would really help my mommy to be, so please bring a bag of any size, did we mention it could win you a really great pampering prize?

BFP #1 May 2000 ~ Darren was born Jan 13, 2001 ~ 6lbs 2oz 191/2" ~ 39 wks due to low fluid, otherwise perfect pregnancy
July 2004 abnormal pap, colposcopy and LEEP procedure ~ paps every 3 months all normal for 1 year
2006 all clear to start TTC
HSG Nov 2007 ~ all normal except mild left tube blockage
BFP #2 Dec 2007 EDD sept 3 ~ missed m/c ~ Feb 14 2008 ~ 9wk 2d D&C
BFP #3 Apr 2008 EDD Dec 10 ~ ectopic ~ May 2008 ~ 5wk 2d ~ emergency lap surgery, lost left tube
BFP #4 Jul 2008 EDD May 5 ~ missed m/c ~ Aug 2008 ~ 5wk 2d D&C - trisomy 16
RPL panel Aug 2008 ~ diagnosed with compound hetero MTHFR
BFP #5 Nov 2008 EDD Jul 31 ~ blighted Ovum ~ Dec 2008 ~ 4wk 3d ~ natural m/c at home for my birthday
BFP #6 Feb 2009 EDD Oct 15 ~ 4wk 3d ~ chemical pregnancy ~ Mar 2008
BFP #7 May 18 2009 ~ Gabriel Michael ~ Jan 19, 2010 ~ 7lbs 2oz 21"
TTC again since Jan 2011
BFP #8 Jun 2011 EDD Jan 20 ~ 5wk 6d ~ missed m/c ~ D&C
July - Hysterscopy removed some polyps, all clear for IUI with clomid
Aug-Oct - IUI - with Clomid all BFN
Nov-Jan - IUI - with femara and trigger = BFN
back to TTC naturally on our own hoping for another miracle.
CafeMom Tickers
CafeMom Tickers
Blog

Re: invitation wording, need you honest opinions please

• I am going to come at this from what my matron of honor did for my bridal shower.  She had a separate piece of paper that had the logos of the places that I was registered at.  And if anything the wording of that could be that the mother-to-be is registered at the following places.  I think if you would like diapers as a gift, then it would be better to have the diapers on the registry.  I know that if I were to have a successful pregnancy in the future, that I would have certain brands of diapers on my registry--it is like I would like to try out this particular brand --as a starter kit. It is like you are trying to figure out what brand is going to work well for your baby. For some people, diapers may be a practical gift, but it may be a gift that some people may not feel comfortable giving.

imageimageLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Premature Baby tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers image BFP on 07/18/08. Miscarriage 07/30/08. BFP 3/25/09. Confirmed second miscarriage, no heartbeat, no growth beyond 7 weeks, 5/19/09. TTC again, on baby aspirin, due to value of 23 on Anticardiolipin Antibodies. BFP 11/15/09. Brown spotting, Beta 3735 11/25/09, Beta 5602 11/28/09. Anticardiolipin Antibodies now negative, still on baby asprin. On 100 mg of Prometrium (progesterone) until 10 weeks. Good heartbeat at 1st appt. 12/16/09. Started taking fish oil. Perigestational hemorrhage and red bleeding 12/17/09. 2nd Ultrasound-8 weeks, still a heartbeat 12/17/09. Baby measured 9 weeks, still a heartbeat 12/23/09. Good NT Scan on 1/8/10, heartbeat 164. EDD 7/28/10. TEAM BLUE! Aidan Thomas born on May 26, 2010. Baby #2, BFP 11/27/11, EDD 6/5/12. TEAM PINK! Noelle Elizabeth born 4/30/12. Blessing from God, Blessing from God, Blessing from God, Blessing from God.
  • I'm not entirely into the diaper raffle idea. I was afraid that my guests would think it was tacky, because diapers may be pricey for some people and they would feel obligated to buy a gift and diapers. Then again, it is just an option so people who could want to could and who didn't, wouldn't. It's really up to you and the people you are inviting. Diaper raffles have been held for years in various ways. My shower has seperate registry cards saying where I am registered and a little poem about bringing a book instead of a card. This could be considered tacky but my thought is, people always buy shower cards, and most of the time they are $2.00+ you can buy a book for a baby for under $3.00.

To answer your question, I would at least have them put "registered at babies r us and target" not, "some items at target". It's unecessary wording and people will figure it out :)

• Loading the player...
  • No that's really cute and not tacky at all!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Are you sure about that diaper thing?  Around here, raffles are only for charities; diaper drives are done for homeless shelters and children's homes.
  • I think the wording is really cute, and makes it sound like you arent obligated to bring a pack of diapers. But I agree with the registry portion to not have is say "some things at target."
  • I had 3 showers and after my 2nd shower I had only received 1 package of diapers.  I did have diapers on my registry, but no one bought any. 

So for my 3rd shower my aunt put on on the invitations, "Bring a package of diapers, any size, any kind, and get entered into a raffle!" 

This was my smallest shower and I still got about 10 packs/boxes of diapers which was great and I got a variety of sizes and brands.  I figure I can always exchange if I don't like a certain brand or need a different size.

I still got gifts from everyone who brought diapers, and I was thrilled about having a nice collection of diapers to start off with.  I say do it, and the wording isn't tacky at all.  You are giving them a CHOICE, if they don't want to bring diapers, they don't have to!

• imageheather121709:
    I think the wording is really cute, and makes it sound like you arent obligated to bring a pack of diapers. "

I agree that the wording is very cute.  However, even though you are giving a "choice" nobody wants to be that only person that doesn't bring any diapers, so then you are either stuck spending more money than you wanted too, or bringing diapers and a smaller gift which can make the gift giver look cheap.  It just feels very awkward.  Let people give you what they want to.

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"