1st Trimester
Options

first appointment at 10 weeks, heartbeat??

My first appointment was scheduled at 10 weeks and they said it will just be with a nurse to go over family history and such.  I didnt specifically ask if they would look for heartbeat.  My next appointment wouldnt be until 14 weeks.

We were going to wait until we heard the heartbeat to tell everyone but I dont want to wait until 14 weeks.  Not sure what to do.  I could tell a fib about slight bleeding but I don't really want to lie.....advice?  

Re: first appointment at 10 weeks, heartbeat??

• Options
    If they do not offer, request that they listen for the heartbeat.
    A small start at 2lb 9oz, 60 day NICU stay, and 6 months of O2 My 30 weeker is growing up! <a href="http://s83.photobucket.com/albums/j320/bippy798/?action=view
  • Options

I absolutely woouldn't lie about bleeding. 

Chances are if the nurse is just doing your first appt, you will not hear the h/b.  My dr's office wouldn't even listen for it until 12 weeks. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I had my first OB appointment at about 9.5 weeks. I knew it was with an OB but when I called they said there would be no ultrasound. Well, she did try to find the HB with the doppler (couldn't because it was too early) so she went ahead and did a quick u/s just to make sure everything was progressing. Do they do  ultrasounds in your doctor's office? If so maybe the same will happen to you. Good luck.
  • Options
    Just ask them to look for it with a doppler.  I wouldn't lie about spotting.  Worst case, just tell them you are waiting for that to tell family.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    image image
  • Options
    imagecoleaddison2007:

My first appointment was scheduled at 10 weeks and they said it will just be with a nurse to go over family history and such.  I didnt specifically ask if they would look for heartbeat.  My next appointment wouldnt be until 14 weeks.

We were going to wait until we heard the heartbeat to tell everyone but I dont want to wait until 14 weeks.  Not sure what to do.  I could tell a fib about slight bleeding but I don't really want to lie.....advice?  

Don't lie.

My first one was at 9 weeks and all we did was family history. I will hear the heart beat at 13 weeks.

• Options
    I've had three u/s already. I've had bleeding and some other problems along the way. Each u/s has been fine. I had my first one at 6 weeks because of spotting. I would just call and ask if they plan on doing an u/s and if they don't just request to have one or at least use the doppler. Good luck!
  • Options

don't lie about bleeding!

docs are different... with my daughter the first OB I had didn't chek until 12 weeks, but I ended up switching docs before then and my current OB checks between 8-10 weeks with an ultrasound. 

I would call your doc office and ask what you can expect at the appt and if they do that - if they don't you have the option to look around for a doc who does - easier to change docs now than further in the pregnancy.

• Options

Not sure if you can hear the heat beat that early, but do not take me on that. I had a ultrasound at 9 weeks and 1 day and we could see and hear his heart beat. I do not think I heard it on doppler until a few weeks later when I went in. However with that said she (OB) never tried to listen for his heartbeat with a doppler since she heard it on the ultra sound.

?

Do not lie, Karma is a funny thing.?

Photobucket
  • Options

I could not hear the hb @ 10 weeks with DS because I have a retroverted uterus (which is fairly common) my uterus didn't 'right' itself until 12 weeks and then the hb was easy to hear.-

just FYI so you (or anyone else) doesn't panic right away.

• Options

My doctor uses u/s to date the pregnancy, so I've seen the flicker of the heartbeat each of the 3 times i've gone in (I did have a bleeding episode with two follow ups).  We haven't heard the hb but maybe at my 12 week appt this week we will.  I would just request something to ease your concern - they may do an u/s or maybe could get the doppler and try.  

• Options
    Don't lie, just call to see if you can request one. 
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
    Photobucket
  • Options
    You should be thankful you haven't had any spotting instead of trying to trick your doctor into listening for the HB.  Just ask, and if they won't do it, learn to have some patience.
    JHL 12/5/09 - 12/9/09
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

You really should never lie to your doc. Karma sucks! They are professionals and need your respect to tell them the truth so that you have the best possible pregnancy.

At my office they use a doppler from 10 weeks and if they can't hear it you get an US.

• Options
    Yeah I would definitely call just ask if you are going to get to hear the heartbeat during the first appt. ?Then if not, just see if they can do it anyway. ?I don't think it's a big deal. ?GL!!?
  • Options
    I'm surprised it will be easier for you to lie about something as serious as bleeding than to just ask to see or hear the heartbeat. I don't think something as important as the heartbeat is too much to ask for. If your doctor refuses at 10 weeks then it might be time to find a new doctor.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"