Breastfeeding

Feeding on demand...

My LO stays awake pretty much all afternoon and evening (1pm-11pm) with just short catnaps, usually while being held and wakes up as soon as he's put down.  Throughout this wakefulness he demands to be fed about every hour - nothing else will stop the fussing.  At 11pm-midnight he finally really goes to sleep and stays asleep for two 3-3.5 hour stretches until another wakeful period at 7am.  Around 9am he'll sleep another 3 hour stretch, but by then I usually have to be up getting ready (we've had lots of dr appointments, that won't always be the case, then I can sleep more during that time). 

Anyone else have a LO with such a wakeful afternoon/evening at just 9 days old?  Any suggestions on how to move sleep time earlier?  If that's even possible.  These late nights and staying up during his wakeful early morning hours is really draining.  I'd love if eventually he went for a long sleep starting at 9 or 10pm.  TIA!

Re: Feeding on demand...

• This is really common. I was BF all day and night at that age. DS also had his days and nights switched for two months. It will seem like you are feeding all the time, but it will slow down in the coming weeks/months other than for growth spurts. DS ate every 2 hours until a couple of weeks ago and now its more 2-3ish hours.
  • DD did/does that too.  It seems to be very common.  If you can try moving some doctor's appointments and other activities to a time when you can be more rested.  It might mean you have to be prepared to NIP but for me anyway it was better to do that than to be a zombie all the time.  As the days go by you might be able to catch a break and have that early evening nap extend a bit and then try dreamfeeding to see if you can get your LO to essentially stay asleep but I don't think there's really anything you can do to force an earlier bed time.  Sorry but it won't last forever. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • We pretty much went through this until she started STTN at 6 weeks. I have no real suggestions except it does get better. And nursing on demand is easier in my opinion instead of scheduling. No she goes 4 hours sometimes until she wants to eat again. As far as a routine with napping and not so much wakefulness, that only started at about 3 months. Until then naps were haphazard and she napped alot in the moby.
    Beta #2 = 836
    Beta #1 = 160
    IUI#1 50mg Clomid = BFP!
    TTC #2 DX is .49 AMH

DD Born 5/15/09
    10/2 We have a beautiful Heartbeat!
    IUI #3 BFP! Beta #1 = 13, Beta #2 = 143, Beta #3 = 321, Beta #4 = 1300 Beta #5 = 6319
    IUI #2 = CP
    IUI #1 = BFN
    Unexplained IF
    TTC since June 2007
    Lilypie Maternity tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • sounds normal.. .hang in there... it gets better!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"