Babies: 0 - 3 Months

I'm counting the days...no, the hours..until we can CIO

My son is the worst sleeper of all time. He will not go to bed. Period.

My daughter had severe colic and would scream for hours. But after the screaming she'd fall asleep and stay asleep pretty well. I'm starting to think I'd rather have a colicky baby than one who doesn't sleep.

Ugh!!!

I absolutely cannot wait until the 4 month mark when we can start the CIO routine. In fact, I'm going to circle the date on my calendar right now.

Re: I'm counting the days...no, the hours..until we can CIO

• imageTrinaKay:
    Zip it!

yep.

• Loading the player...
  • This is getting really old

::side eye::

• LOL at the zipper. Please. We Feberized my daughter at 4 months (per the pediatrician's advice) and she sleeps better than any child I know. I have to laugh at anyone who thinks letting a child cry it out for 3 nights will cause long-term trauma. It cracks me up.
  • You know what? I understand!!!! I know it's not popular, but I get so frustrated when DS will sleep just fine in my arms, but the second we put him down, he gets upset. I know it's normal, and it's definitely what I signed up for, but I think it is OKAY to look forward to the days when our LO's will start learning how to sleep on their own. It's OKAY to be frustrated.

Big hugs! Wishing you all the best!

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimage
  • imageBluesmoothee:
    LOL at the zipper. Please. We Feberized my daughter at 4 months (per the pediatrician's advice) and she sleeps better than any child I know. I have to laugh at anyone who thinks letting a child cry it out for 3 nights will cause long-term trauma. It cracks me up.

I totally get Ferberizing your child. Really, I do. We probably would have done it if we needed to. But counting down the days and saying you are going to mark the date on a calendar? Extreme, IMO.

I just don't get looking forward to hearing your child scream and cry themselves to sleep.

• imageJewelzNBean:

You know what? I understand!!!! I know it's not popular, but I get so frustrated when DS will sleep just fine in my arms, but the second we put him down, he gets upset. I know it's normal, and it's definitely what I signed up for, but I think it is OKAY to look forward to the days when our LO's will start learning how to sleep on their own. It's OKAY to be frustrated.

It's not popular, really? Then why are the CIO books so popular?  Most parents I know have let their kids CIO at some point or another.

Maybe we shouldn't CIO. Surely my son will turn into an axe murderer. BWAH!

• imageTrinaKay:

I just don't get looking forward to hearing your child scream and cry themselves to sleep.

Followed by a lifetime of quiet nights of sleep.  I don't think it's such a bad thing to look forward to. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageTrinaKay:

imageBluesmoothee:
    LOL at the zipper. Please. We Feberized my daughter at 4 months (per the pediatrician's advice) and she sleeps better than any child I know. I have to laugh at anyone who thinks letting a child cry it out for 3 nights will cause long-term trauma. It cracks me up.

I totally get Ferberizing your child. Really, I do. We probably would have done it if we needed to. But counting down the days and saying you are going to mark the date on a calendar? Extreme, IMO.

When you get 3 hours a sleep a night who cares if it's extreme. And of course I don't look forward to it. It sucks for those days, but after 3 days it works like a charm. Besides, I'll let DH do it. When we did it for my daughter I left the house.

October 24 can't here fast enough! Hey, maybe we'll wait until Halloween....maybe the screaming will give some of the neighborhood kids a fright.

• imageBluesmoothee:

Maybe not long-term trauma, but your BABY has no idea how to comfort themselves. Why is CIO apparently the only option some of you seem to think there is regarding their child's sleep issues? Some babies aren't ready to STTN at 4 or even 6 months.  My 4 month old wakes at least twice a night to eat because she obviously still needs that. You obviously have an older child, so you should already know what you signed up for when you decided to have another child. Have you looked into other options other than CIO? Believe me its not the only one.

• imagelp0418:

imageBluesmoothee:

Maybe not long-term trauma, but your BABY has no idea how to comfort themselves. Why is CIO apparently the only option some of you seem to think there is regarding their child's sleep issues? Some babies aren't ready to STTN at 4 or even 6 months.  My 4 month old wakes at least twice a night to eat because she obviously still needs that. You obviously have an older child, so you should already know what you signed up for when you decided to have another child. Have you looked into other options other than CIO? Believe me its not the only one.

This

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Due December 16, 2012! BabyFruit Ticker
  • imageBluesmoothee:
    imageTrinaKay:

imageBluesmoothee:

When you get 3 hours a sleep a night who cares if it's extreme. And of course I don't look forward to it. It sucks for those days, but after 3 days it works like a charm. Besides, I'll let DH do it. When we did it for my daughter I left the house.

October 24 can't here fast enough! Hey, maybe we'll wait until Halloween....maybe the screaming will give some of the neighborhood kids a fright.

WOW. you sound like a winner. Just leave your poor husband to sit there and listen to your child screaming while you leave so you don't have to deal with it. Klass act.

• imagelp0418:

imageBluesmoothee:

I never said I wouldn't feed my baby in the middle of the night. How can you make stupid assumptions like that? My DD will still wake up in the middle of the night to be fed. Then she'd go right back down without me having to rock her for hours. My son is 2 months old and he's already 16 pounds. He only eats once during the night, too, and only a couple of ounces. At 4 months I doubt he'll need any food at night, but if he does, I'll happily oblige. Of course I've looked at other sleep methods. I've literally read every sleep book out there. CIO is the only one that worked.

• imageElisa312:
    imageTrinaKay:

Followed by a lifetime of quiet nights of sleep.  I don't think it's such a bad thing to look forward to. 

It is obviously not a lifetimes worth of quiet sleep. There are plenty of folks that talk about have to re-ferberize their children. There are other options to help them sleep. I just hate that people brag about this. I would hate to do this to my DD, nevermind post that I can't wait for it to happen.

OP even replied that she makes her DH do it.

• imageBluesmoothee:
    imagelp0418:

imageBluesmoothee:

I never said I wouldn't feed my baby in the middle of the night. How can you make stupid assumptions like that? My DD will still wake up in the middle of the night to be fed. Then she'd go right back down without me having to rock her for hours. My son is 2 months old and he's already 16 pounds. He only eats once during the night, too, and only a couple of ounces. At 4 months I doubt he'll need any food at night, but if he does, I'll happily oblige. Of course I've looked at other sleep methods. I've literally read every sleep book out there. CIO is the only one that worked.

I never said that you wouldn't feed your baby. I was only stating what my child does at 4 months.

• Have you looked into The Happiest Baby on the Block methods?  They have a lot of assistance for babies that don't sleep well on their own and means of self-soothing. 

• I get about 3 hours of sleep with an EIGHT MONTH OLD. You dont hear me biitching and moaning. I look for ways to help him but he's still a baby to me. I personally dont believe in CIO, but I do think that Ferber might work. We haven't tried it. I think that any baby under a year old shouldn't be left to cry and wonder why no one cares about them. That's how I see it. I almost let DS CIO but couldn't bear the thought of him laying there thinking DH and I dont love him

ETA: Sleeping 5+ hours a night is considered STTN to warn you. And like PP said, some babies still need to eat until 4,6 or even 9 months old.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Awww...  your poor baby.  I couldn't do it, but that is just me.  It's okay though, everyone does things differently.  That's what makes this planet so diverse. 
  • imageBluesmoothee:
    imageJewelzNBean:

You know what? I understand!!!! I know it's not popular, but I get so frustrated when DS will sleep just fine in my arms, but the second we put him down, he gets upset. I know it's normal, and it's definitely what I signed up for, but I think it is OKAY to look forward to the days when our LO's will start learning how to sleep on their own. It's OKAY to be frustrated.

It's not popular, really? Then why are the CIO books so popular?  Most parents I know have let their kids CIO at some point or another.

Maybe we shouldn't CIO. Surely my son will turn into an axe murderer. BWAH!

Yikes... I was just saying I understand, and that my understanding your frustration wasn't popular - not that CIO isn't popular! Down, girl!!!

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimage
  • You ladies are hysterical. Really and truly.

Come talk to me when it has been six months of hell. When your child doesn't go to bed until 1AM, wakes up every freaking HOUR to nurse and hardly naps during the day. When you are starting to hallucinate from exhaustion. When you want to curl up in a ball and die. When your marriage is falling apart and you hate everyone.

Ferber is not the devil. He will not scar your child for life. I will probably do CIO earlier than six months next time if I get another child who is like the one I have now. It took three nights, my friends, and she was sleeping peacefully. I still got up with her if she woke at night, but god, it was fabulous to sleep for longer than sixty minutes at a time. It was fabulous to not see stars dancing on the ceiling. 

• Being a mom for 13 years (my oldest's age) and now a mom to a 6 month old, I cannot imagine hearing my children child scream for me and me basically ignoring him. It makes me want to cry. But that is my opinion.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageBluesmoothee:

When you get 3 hours a sleep a night who cares if it's extreme.

Yes, YOU getting sleep is the most important thing in life.

Just Sayin.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"