Eco-Friendly Family

Ladies with hardwood floors

How do you clean them?  The new place has beautiful floors and I want to find an EF way of keeping them beautiful.

And if you use a steam mop...what brand do you use and do you love it or just like it?  I asked before but I can't find that thread.

Re: Ladies with hardwood floors

• We just use murphy's oil soap and a mop.  Love that stuff.  I've heard good things here about the shark steam mop.  Very curious - if you get it, you have to tell me what you think.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I have hardwoods and I sweep and vacuum A. LOT.!!!! We got a stick vacuum from BB&B (20% off coupon): https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?order_num=-1&SKU=108983

And its GREAT! It has a two phase button - 1 position for suction (great for "sweeping" hardwoods) and the second position for the roller bar and suction for rugs.

I rarely mop them because I don't live somewhere where it rains, like ever, and it rarely needs it but when I do need to I just do vinegar water sometimes with orange rinds squeezed and soaking in the water for a while.

I do not like super slick floors so no steam or oil for me.

Be prepared to sweep/vacuum a lot! Like way more than you can imagine if you haven't had hardwoods before... LOL

• Loading the player...
  • Vacuum and Shark Steam mop and I LOVE LOVE it! A lot of products leave smears on our super-dark floors. Our finish is a matte poly, so footprints and cleaning smears show. The steam mop eliminates that problem! I use vinegar in the water most of the time, but if I use too much it leaves a visible film on the floor.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • Would my Dyson ball work?  I'm afraid of scratching the floor.
  • i have an electrolux Pronto that i use several times a day.  when i need to really clean them i use vinegar water and stick an old microfiber insert on my swiffer.

my hardest part is the  2 cats.  they get the crazies and have scratched the floor :-(

• I use a vacuum once or twice a week and a broom inbetween. Then I have the Shark Steam Pocket Mop and do that once a week as well. The floors in the main part of the house don't get that dirty but the kitchen/bathroom get dirty much more quickly and they're lino and tile so I just do a whole once over.

I use my Dyson but we have a canister not an upright and it has separate attachment for hard floors and carpet... I would think if you turn the rotator thingy off on the Dyson Ball it would be just fine. I remember asking the salesman when we looked at them and he said both would be ok on hardwood but I prefered the canister since it is what I am used to. 

• Vinegar + water in a spray bottle and a MF mop.  Love.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I use to put a microfiber cloth on my swiffer with Murphy's Oil Soap, which I really like.  A few weeks ago DH got me a Shark Steam Mop, which I love.  For bits of food that fall on the floor from toddlers, no scrubbing, it just takes it up.  I love it for our kitchen which I could use it in there twice a day.  I love that it just takes water. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"