Multiples
Options

Sometimes I really can't take the looks

Sunday we went out to breakfast with our almost 9 month old twin boys and our 27 month old DD.

If I say so myself the kids were great.  No crying, lots of babbling and laughing and puffs and spoons on the floor.  All of which I cleaned up.

Anyways we went to our favorite diner and were in and out in less then an hour.

We got a lot of looks, down right staring.  One women was getting on my nerves.

Even my DH noticed and he is usually oblivious to everything.

Also - this was only the 2nd time we have been out as a family to eat - so I was pretty excited and proud of all 3 of the kids.

Why do they stare?  I swear I think I can handle the rude comments more then the stares.

It's so rude and I mean the 1 women stared at us through our whole meal.

Re: Sometimes I really can't take the looks

• Options

Yeah its weird, I had some woman follow me around the supermarket once.

People are idiots, so dont stress.  It does get better, well atleast that is what my friends with older multiples tell me :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Mommy to twin girls, Ashlyn & Fiona, born at 34 weeks due to vasa previa.
  • Options
    Yeah, DH thought I would be taking all of the kids out grocery shopping/etc.  I told him that will NOT be a common occurrence, I'm so not going to deal with all of the comments and looks.  I know twins are a "novelty", but everyone's seen them before, it shouldn't be THAT amazing to see.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I can assure you it does get better.  By the time my older boys were 4 or 5 people even quit asking me if they were twins all the time.  However, the looks I get when I tell people we are expecting our second set of twins is priceless. 
  • Options

imageAussie*s_Mom:
    Yeah, DH thought I would be taking all of the kids out grocery shopping/etc.  I told him that will NOT be a common occurrence, I'm so not going to deal with all of the comments and looks.  I know twins are a "novelty", but everyone's seen them before, it shouldn't be THAT amazing to see.

You say that now, but you end up dealing with the looks/comments so you can live your life like a normal family. 

I took my daughters out to lunch by myself.  Yeah people looked but my girls are adorable and were well behaved, so I was proud of myself and them. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Mommy to twin girls, Ashlyn & Fiona, born at 34 weeks due to vasa previa.
  • Options

Don't worry - you'll get used to the stares & learn to ignore them.  I find the "look at the triplets" comment to be the more annoying than the stares.

• Options
    i think people stare b/c they are amazed at how you do it - not b/c they are being mean or thinking mean things. I wouldn't let it bother you - be proud of your kids and know that people are staring b/c they are amazed at what a great job you are doing with them!
  • Options

Goldie - I never thought of it in that way.  Will have to take that into consideration next time!

Thanks girl's!

• Options

i am proud of my boys and proud of myself for being a good mom to them, so bring on the stares! yesterday, i brought them to the aquarium with a friend, and some man said "better you than me!" and i said under my breath, "damn right!"

you don't want to hide your kids away, but you'll get used to the looks. 

good job getting out with them and your older child!

How to tell my boys apart

The different types of twins and triplets

Jack, Sydney and Carynne, Annaleigh, JW, Eden...forever in our hearts.
    My blog * We made the national news!
  • Options

Try coming out with me for an afternoon, you wouldn't believe the looks we get, LOL!  For the most part people are very nice but the staring and talking behind our backs does bother me as well, I don't mind the questions and comments though.  I figure that when they get a little older people won't even give us a second look and then I'll probably miss the attention.

image Matthew & Chase Twins!! 12.10.2006 Emma & Justin Twins Again!! 12.2.2008
  • Options
    The staring is really rude. Funny thing is, I lived in Asia for 5 years and I think that prepared me well to be a MoM; I got plenty of stares and comments. ;)
    fraternal twin boys born january 2009
  • Options
    I have learned and trained myself not to make eye contact with people. I can alway see them out of the corner of my eye but I avoid them like the plague for the most part...esp. when I am anticipating Lilly beginning to act up or one of the twins. It's always the grannies that insist on talking to me when of of the twins is cranky. I mean, in this world of "Octomom", seeing twins shouldn't be that exciting anymore, should it? I think most of the interest comes from "baby" twins. People love babies and baby twins are just stinkin' adorable. 
  • Options

imagemacchiatto:
    The staring is really rude. Funny thing is, I lived in Asia for 5 years and I think that prepared me well to be a MoM; I got plenty of stares and comments. ;)

hahahaha that reminds me of my 6' tall blond friend who is currently in China.  She feels like she should have circus music playing while she is out and about.

• Options

I'm a twin, and I grew up with the stares and the "are you twins" comments, and my mother taught us to just smile back at people.  But it definetly wears off when you get older.  Having my twin daughters and returning to the world of "are they twins" comments has been almost nostalgic for me.  I had forgotten how common that was until I had them.  That being said, I always get a kick out of going out with my twin sister and my twin daughters at the same time.  People notice my daughters, and then look up and ask if my sister and I are twins, and then the comments really start.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"