Attachment Parenting

NstrictlyAPR... Your thoughts on TV/videos?

We basically went with the rule "No TV for the first 2 years."  We did make a couple of exceptions -- when we were on an airplane -- we ENCOURAGED her to watch, lol.  (She wans't interested.)   I also offered her a video when she was really sick with bronchitis and an infected lung at 18 months.  (Wasn't interested beyond 10 minutes.)

And now that she's 2?  We still aren't doing much.  She was sick 2 weekends ago and we let her watch a movie.  And a bit of a mom-approved cartoon.  But that's it.

I don't have any intentions of letting her watch every day for a while yet.  What for?  She's so happy with her books, puzzles, going outside, helping me in the kitchen and around the house...  I don't want to 'ruin' that.  

I, of course, don't want to deprive her of watching a good movie now and then.  (Something I really enjoy when I get the chance!)

What are you guys doing?

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
Lilypie - (C6hS)

Re: NstrictlyAPR... Your thoughts on TV/videos?

• Pretty much the same.  We don't let Arlo watch TV at all right now, but will slowly introduce it after age 2 and of course make exceptions (as you mentioned) along the way.

If the TV happens to be on when he's in the room, we turn it off once it starts engaging his interest.  I hate the way he stares at it so droan-like.  Ugh.  I agree wit h you, there are many other more "productive" things he enjoys doing, so I see no reason to start daily TV viewing until much later.

• Just shy of her 2nd birthday we started letting Rebecca watch a tiny, tiny bit of TV. She didn't really watch much at all until this spring when I was hugely pregnant and I just didn't have the energy to do much, so Dora was on a fair bit.

In the first 2 weeks after Madeline was born Rebecca watched more TV than she had in the rest of her life combined, but now we're back to not really watching any.

Most of the time we'll let her watch 1/2 an hour of tv on Saturday mornings but otherwise we don't have it on much at all.

• Loading the player...
  • We will go with no TV until at LEAST 2 yo. After that still probably slim to none. We don't watch it too much ourselves.
  • We are the same.  The TV is off is DD is awake.  We have let her watch a small amount (mostly DH, not me).  Always Noggin so she is not exposed to commercials (more damning than TV content sometimes I think).  ETA: on special occasions (airplane, sick)

Once she is 2, I have no doubt that DH will think it is a free-for-all, but I would really like to limit her exposure to 1-2 half-hour educational shows on a weekend.  There's not time for it on the weekdays.

• Well, mine's only 2 months old so take what I say with a grain of salt...

We agreed not to let our kids watch TV for as long as we could handle it or was practical. Unfortunately, the second DD sees the TV screen or a computer monitor she immediately calms down and smiles.

While I have only *once* purposely put her in front of the TV so I could wash my face, there have been times when I've faced her in that direction while holding her so she'll stop crying. She is just mesmerized by the colors and voices.

Flame away. 

Pregnancy Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • imageNDwife07:

Well, mine's only 2 months old so take what I say with a grain of salt...

We agreed not to let our kids watch TV for as long as we could handle it or was practical. Unfortunately, the second DD sees the TV screen or a computer monitor she immediately calms down and smiles.

While I have only *once* purposely put her in front of the TV so I could wash my face, there have been times when I've faced her in that direction while holding her so she'll stop crying. She is just mesmerized by the colors and voices.

Flame away. 

Hey, a woman needs a clean face and a person just can't take crying sometimes.  Once she's more mobile, I'd bet a million your girl will lose interest in a big way, anyway.

I forgot about this...  there was a time when DD hated getting her nails cut and teeth brushed.  I'd put on a Youtube video of Kermit and Miss Piggy's wedding and I'd get the job done.  heh. 

MOO we've never had the tv on while she's awake either.   And now that we don't have cable, it's pretty much never on!  You're going to have to reign that DH of yours in after her birthday!  :P

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
    Lilypie - (C6hS)

• We'll probably just continue with how we watch tv now. We don't have reception right now (no digital converter, no cable = static) and so watch a few select things streaming online or on DVD.

I watch The Daily Show online. That will continue when S arrives. Also occurring shortly after S arrives: the winter Olympics (we'll have reception by then so I can watch) and March Madness. Both of which are things I make a point to watch.

Aside from those examples of round-the-clock televising, it will be kept to "special" occasions like holidays, or when it's been raining for days and days, or if we just want to have a movie night. (I'm a movie buff. But I'm also an aspiring novelist and I put a lot of stock in the art of story-telling.)

The television isn't on all the time. It's just not our lifestyle.

We do Wii, also. And I fully expect to see S playing guitar hero at the ripe age of 2. And mario kart. And being better than me at both ;-) 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • The TV in our house isn't even plugged in right now and we never bought the converter box necessary after the govt switch over (and we don't have cable), so DD won't watch TV for a long while. It wasn't a conscious "I won't let DD watch TV" thing, it just isn't really part of our lifestyle, just like not having a car.
    Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • DD doesn't really have the attention span for a show or movie.  I will turn on a cartoon on weekend mornings and she'll play with it in the background, stop and dance when a song comes on, talk to certain characters at certain parts, etc.  But, she's yet to express any interest in actually sitting down to watch anything. 
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I had (have) lofty goals of no true TV watching until 2, but I already know there's no way I'll stick to that. I don't plan on putting him down in front of it to watch intentionally until 2 except on occasion (maybe once a week) but we have it on for us to watch often and if it catches his eye I'm not going to fret too much. So far he has no interest (yay!).
    *** It's funny because I'm fat ***
  • imagefredalina:

i'm a tv junkie.  i watch at least an hour of tv a night (D is awake for most of it).  Her favorite tv show seems to be Law and Order: Special Victim's Unit lol.  i think she likes the bong bong sound.

i'm trying to do better.  i really need TiVo.

Dude. I <3 Law and Order. There are worse things D could enjoy.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I feel like DS counts on our evening streaming of old episodes of Project Runway to get to sleep!  Also, I think with an 8 year old in the house it's hard to make sure kid shows aren't on.  Now, all of the tv is in German so I can pretend that he'll absorb some of the language and when we move back to Cali we won't have cable so there won't be much tv.  Honestly though, I just don't care that much about it.  I'm not a tv watcher and I assume my kids won't be either.  I guess we'll see.
  • Honestly, most of the time it's on the Food Network or football now that it's fall. Maybe she'll turn into a gourmet chef and cook her mama some dinner! Or maybe she'll be the first female quarterback in Notre Dame history!
    Pregnancy Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • imageNDwife07:

Well, mine's only 2 months old so take what I say with a grain of salt...

Flame away. 

It's SO much different at that age when some days you can hardly find time to eat or go the the BR by yourself, lol.  Once she's older and able to entertain herself with other things, that's when it truly matters to me.

• wow, you guys are doing well.   marlee watches sesame street every morning.  it mostly started when i was having bp problems w/ pregnancy and literally couldn't stand for the first hour our of bed.

we don't have cable/satellite, so we also have a few dvds she can watch when i need to get off my feet.

i'm really picky about what i let her watch though, and i always pre-screen.  there is never grown-up programming on when she's awake.

• imageEmmieB:

We do Wii, also. And I fully expect to see S playing guitar hero at the ripe age of 2. And mario kart. And being better than me at both ;-) 

Sarah likes to watch the screen while I play Guitar Hero.  Then she looks at me playing and paws at the neck of the guitar controller, then turns back to the screen to see if she did anything.  It's REALLY cute.

She watches Sesame Street most mornings while I wash up and eat breakfast.  There are FAR worse things she could watch, IMO.  Most of the time if the TV's on around her she doesn't even care.

Wife, mom, Ob/Gyn resident
    Sarah - 12/23/2008
    Alex - 9/30/2011

"I say embrace the total geek in yourself and just enjoy it. Life is too short to be cool." - Shirley Manson, Garbage
  • Jo watches Arthur. She dances to the theme song and points out all the items on the screen "juice, water, arthur, DW, walkin', where'go?"

Its so cute. Annnnd right at 6:00 so mom can get dinner done.

I have no issues with a small amount of TV. 

• DD's exposure to TV etc. has been pretty limited & incidental.  In situations where we have no control, like restaurants & other people's homes, it's been on but she's really not interested.  Once she's 2 we'll let her watch occasionally, but at the rate she's going I doubt she'll even really want to.  This is just fine w/me.
  • We didn't want DS watching any TV before 2, but I put Sesame Street on one morning when I was desperate to shower and get dressed. He loved it, so now I turn on PBS in the morning (when all the preschool shows are on) while I get dressed/make breakfast/etc.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"