Northern California Babies

Anyone following the CDC/circumcision news?

The CDC is considering recommending circumcision for US born males to help decrease the spread of HIV

I know this is a controversial topic sometimes, but wondering if anyone had thought on the news or if it would change your mind?

Here is an article from SF Chronicle (sorry on my Mac clickiness = pain in the arse) 

https://tinyurl.com/lurqmt 

And to answer my question, yes, the CDC recommendation would change my mind on circumcision. 

**** TW - kids and loss mentioned ****
~~ married 8.11.07
~~ DD1 1.16.11 ~~ DD2 1.3.14 ~~
~~ BFP3 12.22.15 MMC 2.29.16 @ 13 weeks ~~
~~ 2 D&Cs (3.1.16 and 3.10.16) for MMC
~~ BFP4 10.27.16  MMC 1.23.17 @ 16 weeks ~~ D&E 1.26.17 ~~

Re: Anyone following the CDC/circumcision news?

• interesting. yes - that makes me rethink how i feel about it.
  • I DID hear about that.  I was very, very surprised.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • imageMy.ABC.Life:
    I DID hear about that.  I was very, very surprised.

me too! 

~~ married 8.11.07
  • https://tinyurl.com/lurqmt

(I'm on a mac and it becomes clicky for me just fine - i highlight and then use the link at the top of the nest text box and voila!)

Anyway - actually addressing your question:

I am wary of the CDC. They have too many people on their board who have been granted Conflict of Interest Waivers for them to be a truly impartial board. 

What I'm finding interesting about this argument is that one of the biggest rallying cries AGAINST the HPV vaccine was that it would encourage promiscuity in girls because the risk of an STD is lowered. But not a single person has said that about circumcision. (I, personally, think that's a bullshit argument no matter what gender you're talking about.)

We're going to talk to a couple of male friends of ours who are uncircumcised as well as a few who are (Husband is) and the final decision will be Husbands because I don't have a penis. My opinion will carry weight...but I don't have a penis. 

• lol - my mom mentioned this the other day (saw it on the today show) but she misunderstood and thought the AAP was now recommending circumcision.

I was wondering why no one mentioned it!

Anyhoo, i thought the CDC had declared it didn't make a difference in the spread of HIV but they were thinking about recommending circumcision because of a risk of other infections. ?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Interesting...I hadn't heard about it yet.

I would have to read more about it (material directly from the CDC, not an editorial such as this one). But right now, no, there's not enough info to make me rethink my stance.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • That was a bad link... I heard it first discussed on the slate gabfest, and just did a quick search, here is something from the CDC website:

"In developing its recommendations, CDC is also considering whether circumcision should be recommended for heterosexual adults at high risk for HIV infection in the United States, as well as whether there is sufficient scientific evidence to make any recommendations for men who have sex with men.

Whatever the content may include, CDC?s final circumcision recommendations will be completely voluntary. While CDC has not yet determined if male circumcision should be recommended for any population, ultimately the decision will rest with individuals and parents. CDC?s public health imperative is to provide the best possible information on the risks and benefits to help inform those decisions." 

Link : https://www.cdc.gov/hiv/topics/research/male-circumcision.htm

this site links to a good 'fact sheet' too 

~~ married 8.11.07
  • Interesting. A little bit after the ginormous blow-up here about circ, there was an article in the NYT about a program in South Africa (if I'm remembering correctly) for circumsising adult men in the hopes of curbing the spread of HIV.

As to your question, if I had a boy I had planned on circumsising anyways, but this would reinforce my decision.

• I'm struggling to find how a circumcision reduces the rate of HIV (an STD)? I would need to read the study.

It would definitely be a factor in my decision process if there was strong evidence (not just statistics of group samplings)

• Interesting.  As for it changing my mind...I don't really know.  I ultimately will leave that decision for Dh, when we werre pg with N, he indicated that he wanted to circ, I think for him it's an issue of keeping things the same as he is and his entire family is.  My bro is not so I have a bit of a differing opinion on the matter...but ultimately I am not opposed and think that if it is important to dh I will respect that.

• Doesnt change how I feel because this is one thing we based off of how Tony feels...But makes me feel better about our choice
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    br
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersbr>
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • imageEmmieB:

https://tinyurl.com/lurqmt

(I'm on a mac and it becomes clicky for me just fine - i highlight and then use the link at the top of the nest text box and voila!)

Anyway - actually addressing your question:

I am wary of the CDC. They have too many people on their board who have been granted Conflict of Interest Waivers for them to be a truly impartial board. 

What I'm finding interesting about this argument is that one of the biggest rallying cries AGAINST the HPV vaccine was that it would encourage promiscuity in girls because the risk of an STD is lowered. But not a single person has said that about circumcision. (I, personally, think that's a bullshit argument no matter what gender you're talking about.)

We're going to talk to a couple of male friends of ours who are uncircumcised as well as a few who are (Husband is) and the final decision will be Husbands because I don't have a penis. My opinion will carry weight...but I don't have a penis. 

WOW thats one helluva point!! My only thought is that the differnce is the age of the child. The girls know at least somewhat what is happening..possibly...Although if we do it for JLK I probably wont tell her what its for..Not like I will tell her the specifics of any other shots..

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    br
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersbr>
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Many studies show that it reduces the risk by at least half and in high risk populations probably even more so. It's tough to base your decision on that because you would hope that your son is going to rely on more reliable methods of disease prevention like condoms when the time comes. I would circ anyway but i don't really think that would be the deciding factor for me if I was not in favor of it.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11089625 

• It would not change my mind.  I'd rather teach my sons to wear a condom to protect them from HIV than modify their bodies, since condom use is far superior protection.  It's worth noting that the studies on this were done in Africa where cleanliness conditions are not the same, and in the circumstance where the study participants were not treated alike -- the circumcised ones were purportedly told to abstain from unprotected sex, which the non-circ ones were told nothing of the same.  In European countries were most males are not circ, the same discrepancy between HIV stats does not hold true.
  • I agree with Celyn.  I think using studies done in Africa to guide decisions for our babies here in the US is comparing apples and oranges. 

We didn't circ and this new info from the CDC didn't change my opinion.  

• imageeastbaygirl:

I agree with Celyn.  I think using studies done in Africa to guide decisions for our babies here in the US is comparing apples and oranges. 

We didn't circ and this new info from the CDC didn't change my opinion.  

I agree with you guys.

• I hadn't even heard of it so thank you for sharing.  I agree with Cyln that it's not a proper comparison but it wouldn't chance my views either way.  We circed for purely personal, not medical, reasons.
  • Interesting article but I would like to see some hard numbers. As one commenter on SFGate pointed out, there are lower rates of AIDS/HIV in Europe and far less people are circumcised (I'd like to see stats on this as well). Usually, I think Americans are 'circumcision' happy and a little biased. That being said, we did choose to circumcise our son but we did consider not doing it as well.

Interesting editorial, makes you think a bit but at the same time, I'd like more info. Thanks for posting, its a good conversation and issue to contemplate.

Life is a roller coaster, enjoy it!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lighthouse State Beach, Santa Cruz.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"