Eco-Friendly Family
Options

How do you (and DH) handle this safety issue?

My rule with Mady has always been that when we are in a parking lot and in the street, she MUST hold my hand.  At her age (or any age) I don't want to risk her running off and a car coming around the corner.  I am firm on this. 

DH's "rule" is that as long as he is "keeping an eye on her" and there are no cars around, then she is okay.  While this is fine for when she is older and more aware, I think it's not enough now.  And I really think that we need to be consistent with her in this and all major issues.  If not, it will be harder for me to get her to cooperate since DH's rules are more lax in general.

WDYT?  How do you and DH handle this?  I've tried explaining my thinking to him and he seems to take that as that I don't trust that he's watching her closely enough.  That's definitely not it, I just want to be consistent and I figure it's best to go with the more strict rule with safety issues like this.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: How do you (and DH) handle this safety issue?

• Options

DS has to hold our hands in the parking lot or streets- if he doesn't want to hold my hand i'll carry him, but those are his only options.  DH backs me up.

it's way too easy for you to blink and baby to dart, no matter how closely you're watching.  

• Options

I agree with you.  Consistency is REALLY important with discipline.

And take it from an ex-high school teacher: that never changes, but gets more and more important.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageJoes_love:

DS has to hold our hands in the parking lot or streets- if he doesn't want to hold my hand i'll carry him, but those are his only options.  DH backs me up.

it's way too easy for you to blink and baby to dart, no matter how closely you're watching.  

This is our parking lot and crossing the street rule.  I agree that you need to have consistency with rules regardless of which parent is around.  Mom needs to back up dad and dad needs to back up mom.  And in this instance you win!

• Options
    Hands must be held.  Period.  Even in the driveway, because I have no idea if someone is going to whip into the driveway and not see him, but they will see me.
  • Options
    imagecrackerjackprinter:

WDYT?  How do you and DH handle this?  I've tried explaining my thinking to him and he seems to take that as that I don't trust that he's watching her closely enough.  That's definitely not it, I just want to be consistent and I figure it's best to go with the more strict rule with safety issues like this.

I would explain it to my husband that it's not that I don't trust him to keep an eye on our DD, but that I will not trust that another driver will be able to see her tiny self darting out in front their vehicle. I agree that consistency is a good thing and will help you later if she tries to get cranky and/or rebellious. I kind of think in this situation, the more restrictive safety issue should win.  

• Options

I'm glad I'm not the only one.  I did just talk to DH more and I think he gets it more now.  Who knows if he'll actually back me up, but hopefully he will.  At least I feel like I got to explain myself better.

He says that I "freaked out" and "ran after her", which is bs.  He was busy getting something out of the car so I was trying to get her attention by saying "stop Mady" in a forceful voice (not yelling though) and making my way over to her (with two arms full of groceries).  Silly men overexaggerating all the time!

• Options

Hold the kid's hand.

Oh, and don't do what my dad does (yes, present tense): Dad yells "PARKING LOT!!!" at me & my mom whenever we step into....a parking lot. Thanks, Captain Obvious.  This factors into why I live 2500 miles away.

• Options
    imageElloPoppet:

Hold the kid's hand.

Oh, and don't do what my dad does (yes, present tense): Dad yells "PARKING LOT!!!" at me & my mom whenever we step into....a parking lot. Thanks, Captain Obvious.  This factors into why I live 2500 miles away.

LOL!  Once the baby, always the baby huh?

• Options

Hands held.  Period.

In fact, Xavian and Korra are still required to hold each other's hands and walk next to me.

Here's something you should share w/ your DH:

DH responded to a call at Wal-Mart Saturday night.  The dad put his (around) 1 yr old down so that he could pull a cart out of the cart coral INSIDE the store.  The boy darted out 2 sets of doors and into the parking lot and was struck by a car.  That's how fast things can happen.

(the child has a broken leg & that's it)

• Options

I definitely think hand holding is a must! People drive like idiots in parking spots because most people are only looking for a free spot, not a tiny child running from behind a parked car.

DH and I, I think, are agreed on this though we've never talked about it. When we babysat my nephews, we each took a kid by the hand while we walked anywhere or we carried them. They didn't have a choice of walking by themselves. Also, when we watched a friend's little girl, she held my hand on one side and he walked on the other and told her she had to keep holding my hand until we got inside.

• Options
    imagethejennigirl:

Hands held.  Period.

In fact, Xavian and Korra are still required to hold each other's hands and walk next to me.

Here's something you should share w/ your DH:

DH responded to a call at Wal-Mart Saturday night.  The dad put his (around) 1 yr old down so that he could pull a cart out of the cart coral INSIDE the store.  The boy darted out 2 sets of doors and into the parking lot and was struck by a car.  That's how fast things can happen.

(the child has a broken leg & that's it)

OMG, how horrible!  This is my fear.  Thankfully DD isn't that impulsive and can't run yet, but things can change so fast that I don't want to take the chance.  

Thank goodness he only has a broken leg!

• Options
    Our rule is either be carried or walk while holding hands.  We've had DS dash out from our driveway into the street before and it only takes one second for something bad to happen :(
    image Ethan 12.31.07 Lillian 4.1.11
  • Options

DD has to hold our hands in parking lots and streets. She can let go on the sidewalk. She is just now getting it. If she won't hold hands, we carry her. That is it. She doesn't watch anything but her feet and the ground so if she is not holding hands she can end up anywhere so quick!

It is super important that you and DH are consistent with your DD on all issues like this, otherwise she will get confused and won't know what the rules are.

• Options
    Also, since I live in an urban area, I just wanted to add that I can't even count how many times I have grabbed someone else's toddler just as they *almost* ran into the street.  It's way too freaky to fool around with.
  • Options
    imagecrackerjackprinter:
    imageElloPoppet:

Hold the kid's hand.

LOL!  Once the baby, always the baby huh?

Yep....I'm 28 and Mom is in her 60s...who knows, maybe we'll start "horsing around" and get ourselves hit by a car.

• Options
    I would have no tolerance for your DH on this issue if it was me. A child that young needs to be held or to be holding a hand if they are even anywhere near a street/parking lot. That is way too dangerous. What if she ran and he was just far enough away that he couldn't get to her to remove her from the path of an oncoming car? That is just crazy to me. If DS refuses to hold hands he either gets carried or put in his stroller - even if he is screaming and thrashing. I'd rather that than have him get hurt.
  • Options

imageAlirebco:
    Our rule is either be carried or walk while holding hands.  We've had DS dash out from our driveway into the street before and it only takes one second for something bad to happen :(

Agreed, and this includes walking on sidewalks. He's way too young to understand the danger, and doesn't always stop when I ask him to. If he pulls his hand away while walking, we stop until he's ready to hold my hand again, or he gets carried. He's yet to run into the street, tho- how scary!

• Options
    DG1DG1 member

Hands held.

If we are loading/unloading the car or something and he'll obey, I'll let him stand with his hands on the car. (Once he's old enough, that is. At this point, he's either carried or sitting in the shopping cart.)

And yes, I would want DH to be consistent with me. Consistency is really important.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"