Secondary IF

Revamp of our plan.

We just decided today that we're going to opt out of the "non-monitored" cycles we were going to do for fertility. I'm not even sure if I told you but we had ORIGINALLY (pre-appt) wanted to do medicated MONITORED (watching the progress of everything via ultrasound) cycles but then do timed intercourse so we could feel semi-normal and not so medical. We went in for our appt and while we LOVED the RE, he informed us that they do not monitor for timed intercourse. Not even an option. So we opted for the un-monitored cycles. But....then I started to freak out. LOL.

A) I'll be on a new drug that I've never been on so we have no idea how I'll react.
B) they're not doing the same protocol (drug pattern) as last time so that makes me uneasy.
C) if I did hyperstim (tons of eggs) we wouldn't know until its too late
D) I don't want to be in the position of having to do selective reduction (where you sit with an ultrasound tech and an RE and hand select, on a ultrasound monitor screen, which babies to pluck out and effectively kill.
E) I really really really want a home vaginal birth and you can do that with two (if the stars align perfectly and they're in the right positions) but you can't do that with anymore than that.
F) I don't really want twins. I mean I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to have twins, don't get me wrong but the risk of Csection is so much higher and I just envision myself: Sectioned, with a toddler who can't fully communicate, two babies and 2000 miles away from anyone and everyone who would even have a second to help me. Its terrifying to think about....not to mention the educational/occupational reprecussions (which I can handle much easier than a section I think). I just have zero help and a husband who has no paternity leave, we have depleated our entire life's savings in the past 2 years and no in-person support here (in fact, I joke that if we find out there are two, our first investment is Rosetta Stone to learn Spanish FAST for decently prices mother's helpers!).

The list goes on and on. Doing IUI (insemination) doesn't reduce your chance of multis (it actually increases it slightly) but it does give you a full spectrum view into what you're dealing with. With Rhayna, we knew there were 3 eggs (possibly 4 dending on the day you looked) and we KNEW what we were dancing with. When you're monitoring, you can cancel at anytime in the event of too much risk of HOM (high order multis).

I just think having a peek and knowing what's going on is going to be so much more sane for us and that, after all we've been through, is what we need.

Re: Revamp of our plan.

• I am with you there!!  I way too much of a control freak NOT to know what my insides are doing in any given cycle!!  This break is KILLING me right now.  I am all twinges and pains and funny CM and I would give my left nipple to know what is going on in there!!

And I am not on any meds at all so the chances of anything interesting going down this month are like.. nil. Stick out tongue

You go Girl!  Let's hope the monitoring gives you peace of mind and the IUI gives you the baby you want!!

• I like your plan.  I just think it is smarter to be monitored.  I hope it works quickly for you.
    Mom to Harmon 1/17/08 and twins Rachel & Callum 8/28/09 Photobucket 29o0v13.jpg
  • Loading the player...
  • I think you are wise to be monitored.  I can't imagine ever having to selectively reduce either.  This way you know what you're getting yourself into.  Good luck!!
    imageimageimageimage m/c at 8w4d - 10/2/09 baby girl Ruth Elise
  • I think that you are wise to be monitored. The chances of HOM with the drugs you are taking are not great, but monitoring will tell you how/when you respond ect. Good luck.
  • I think if it makes you feel better then it is def. a wise choice, you have enough to worry about without worrying about how your body is responding. 

So does this mean you are going with IUI or you are convincing RE to monitor without IUI?

Our Girls
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    AquinnahDori
    "Just keep swimming, just keep swimming..."
  • I think this is a wise choice. I know that if we were to do IUI I would be driving the 2 hours to Dtown because I know I wouldn't have the heart to do any sort of reduction.

Good luck!! Fingers crossed we both get what we are looking for here in the near future.

• I did clomid unmonitored and looking back (i didn't know any better) i can't imagine doing that again.

I overstimmed with IVF and i swear i did with clomid too.

I am all for being monitored!  Good choice! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"