Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

omfg there is a LIZARD in my HOUSE

A LIZARD!!!!! I just look up and there is a LIZARD on the wall near the tv. I shrieked and yelled at DH to get it and do you know what he said!?? "Oh, I see you've found my little friend."

My little friend!?? Apparently this has been going on for a few DAYS and DH hasn't been able to catch him. He didn't mention it to me because he knew I'd freak out and he was "hoping he'd just leave on his own." 

I am living with ANIMALS. There is a reptile on the loose!!! My baby plays in this house! How am I supposed to sleep!? Does anyone know if there is any lizard spray or lizard trap I can buy? Do exterminators take care of this? Would it be an overreaction to go to a hotel?

Have I mentioned I'm not an "outdoorsy" type girl? 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: omfg there is a LIZARD in my HOUSE

• Yes, I think you are overreacting.  Smile

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Can you borrow someones cat? The only answer to get a lizard out would be to get a snake, and something tells me you don't wan to do that.
  • Loading the player...
  • Hahaha I think the hotel will be a little much ;) It won't hurt you...I'm not too sure how to get it out though.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • ummm, Rach? I'd get the hell outta there now too!

I'm with you. DH would be getting an arse-kicking.

IAmPregnant Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagePD's_Momma:
    Can you borrow someones cat? The only answer to get a lizard out would be to get a snake, and something tells me you don't wan to do that.

I'm sorry, what was that? I thought someone said "snake," and I think I blacked out for a second...

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • How big is it?  If it's just a little gecko and it's just the one I wouldn't worry about it, I'd just try to relocate it outside. 
  • Try these websites:

https://www.bugspray.com/article/reptiles.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/florida/18289-need-advice-re-little-lizards.html

And a funny aside. For some reason I typed "how to get a lizard out of your as$." You don't want to know what poped up!

• Awww a lizard? I think that would be kinda neat. Snakes...giant spiders...yuck but a lizard, they're harmless right?
  • DH wants me to make clear that it is a "baby" lizard that is an inch and a half long. I personally don't see why that makes a difference.
  • Can DH get close enough to put a piece of Tupperwear over him and then let it loose outside?  Please don't kill the poor little lizard.  I'm pretty sure they are harmless. 
  • *dies laughing*

Where do you live?? I'm in FL and it's so common here that my DS catches them and tosses them back out now lol.

• of course the lizard is harmless...but its effing disgusting!
  • Yeah, we had one a month ago or so. Blue tail and all. I freaked Embarrassed DH wasn't home, so I had to catch the effer. But I did catch it under a glass jar. And then I babysat the jar until DH got home b/c I needed him to get it outside for me...and I was afraid it would get away in the meantime.

I hope you get it!

Lilypie 5th Birthday Ticker,Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker image
  • I would by no means go camping myself but, a lizard?  I would only freak because I know that one of my cats would kill it.  I'm with your H, let it be and it'll go away.  If your LO finds it, what a neat little thing for him to look at and learn about.
  • ACCCCKKKKKK!!!!!

That was the worst part of living in Florida!

• Where do you live?  It is a gecko?  They are harmless.  I would take a lizard over a spider, stink bug, or tree roach ANY day.
  • imageseans_grl:
    Can DH get close enough to put a piece of Tupperwear over him and then let it loose outside?  Please don't kill the poor little lizard.  I'm pretty sure they are harmless. 

I promise I won't kill it. When I see them outside I think they're pretty cute. So far DH has just attempted to catch it in a bowl or something like that. 

This would all be a lot easier if I could have a glass or ten of some nice wine. 

• Also, I live in Texas :)
  • imageRach03k:
    DH wants me to make clear that it is a "baby" lizard that is an inch and a half long. I personally don't see why that makes a difference.

Awwwww...I think it sounds cute!

• eek!!!! get thee to the ritz stat!

i am not a fan of little reptiley critters! 

• imageougrad1:
    I would by no means go camping myself but, a lizard?  I would only freak because I know that one of my cats would kill it.  I'm with your H, let it be and it'll go away.  If your LO finds it, what a neat little thing for him to look at and learn about.

I would be afraid it would be on my bed in the middle of the night! blech!

• Don't make me report you lizard killers to the Pets board, they will get medieval on your arces!

LOL @ Rach, though. I had a baby toad in here once, freaked me the _@()#* out.

• imageRach03k:
    Also, I live in Texas :)

Oh, totally a gecko.  Poor thing is probably scared sh!tless looking for a way out!

• They are definitely harmless. I grew up in Florida and when I was little we would catch them and wear them as earrings for a bit. I don't think it ever really hurt them (probably scared them) and then we let them go. :)
  • Ok, all you Florida girls are making me feel slightly less hysterical. I mean he is pretty small...lizards aren't carnivores or anything like that right?

• Umm, not to be an alarmist, but lizards can carry salmonella.  I would be washing your and DS's hands a lot and clean his toys really well.

Sisters:  Now and then.

imageimage

Elijah's 1st day of Kindergarten!
  • imageRach03k:

Ok, all you Florida girls are making me feel slightly less hysterical. I mean he is pretty small...lizards aren't carnivores or anything like that right?

I think they eat insects.

• imagekirbabe:
    Umm, not to be an alarmist, but lizards can carry salmonella.  I would be washing your and DS's hands a lot and clean his toys really well.

Indifferent

Changed my mind. Back to hysterical. 

• imageseans_grl:
    Can DH get close enough to put a piece of Tupperwear over him and then let it loose outside?  Please don't kill the poor little lizard.  I'm pretty sure they are harmless. 

Okay, I was going to avoid this story, but seans asked for it...

Orlando, Florida, 1997...

I had stepped outside to water a plant, and then came back in, and was accompanied into my bedroom through the sliding glass door by....A LIZARD!!! (Yes, Rach, the same tiny lizard you are talking about.)

I tried to catch the lizard in a box. I tried for an hour and a half, until I was panting like a dog. The problem? Very small lizards are lightning fast. They bend space and time. They are, in short, uncatchable.

So I gave up. I decided to go to bed. But then in the dark, I began to slowly lose my mind. I could feel lizard feet in my hair. I was afraid to sleep with my head out of the pillow because I just KNEW that the lizard was going to crawl into my mouth. And when I went to turn on the light and get back up, the damned lizard was on the wall by the lightswitch. He was mocking me.

Now it was personal. It was him or me. There was a can of bug spray in the bathroom, because it was Florida and therefore a basic survival tool.

It took me another half hour to almost hit him enough times to slow him down. Now I could catch him with a shoebox. But every time I tried to slip something under the shoebox so I could get him outside, a leg or a tail got caught.

There was thrashing and screaming. The lizard didn't handle it well either. But in the end, he was outside, and I was safe.

Until I realized there was half of a small frog on my side of the door. Gross.

My ex was let to clean that one up when he got home. I was done.

• Lori - I just read your post out loud to DH. I was laughing so hard I was crying.

Of course now I'm going to be awake all night worrying about a lizard crawling into my mouth, which somehow hadn't ocurred to me yet. So thanks for that.

• Oh, gross. ?I wish you lived on the south side, I'd come over with my killer cat and we'd have the situation taken care of in 10 minutes. ?Seriously. ?He hauls dead bunnies out of the woods and leaves piles of lizards on our doorstep. ?:::puke:::

We had one in our house last year, I took a broom after it and got it out. ?It was just in the foyer though. ?Not sure what to say about yours. ?Maybe call a pest control company and see what they say?

the bug & bee blog
    (read it. you know you want to.)
    anderson . september 2008
    vivian . february 2010
    mabel . august 2012
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • You're welcome.
  • imagekirbabe:
    Umm, not to be an alarmist, but lizards can carry salmonella.  I would be washing your and DS's hands a lot and clean his toys really well.

Kir-I love you to pieces but, I'm giving you the side eye.

• imageougrad1:

imagekirbabe:

Kir-I love you to pieces but, I'm giving you the side eye.

As someone who currently has salmonella, I am going to poke you until your eye goes straight. This was info I got from the emergency room.

• imageRach03k:

imagekirbabe:

Indifferent

Changed my mind. Back to hysterical. 

I'd definitely wash up but if you saw my post from earlier. My sister and I played with them all the time growing up and we are ok....or at least I think we are. :) 

• Stop, stop, please. The laughing. My side hurts and there are tears flowing down my cheeks.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • EWWWWWW KILL IT!
    ?

*I know I'm adding to the hysteria, but we don't have lizards in Ohio! ?EKKK?
  • at least it's not 20 dead mice! wanna trade houses? Wink
    CP 3/07
    BFP 5/07 - Kylie born 2/08.       BPF 2/09 - Alexandra born 10/09.
    TTC since 8/13 - diagnosed difficulty conceiving due to LP defect. Took vitamin B and Vitex Berry to help lengthen.
    BFP 2/14 - Missed M/C found at 8.5 weeks. D&C at 9w2d. Partial Molar Pregnancy.
    BFP 11/14
  • imagemlf625:

Oh, gross.  I wish you lived on the south side, I'd come over with my killer cat and we'd have the situation taken care of in 10 minutes.  Seriously.  He hauls dead bunnies out of the woods and leaves piles of lizards on our doorstep.  :::puke:::

We had one in our house last year, I took a broom after it and got it out.  It was just in the foyer though.  Not sure what to say about yours.  Maybe call a pest control company and see what they say?

Loan me your cat! I'll make you brownies! Apparently they might have salmonella now, but what kind of pregnant woman turns down brownies?

Seriously you guys, every time I think I see movement out of the corner of my eye I go into a momentary full on panic. There is something wrong with me. Thank goodness the lizard has only been sighted downstairs and the bedrooms are upstairs or we might have a real problem on our hands. 

• imageRach03k:
    Thank goodness the lizard has only been sighted downstairs and the bedrooms are upstairs or we might have a real problem on our hands. 

::nods solemnly::

Yeah. Because it's not like they can climb stairs or anything.

::whistles the theme to Jaws because there really isn't a good gecko horror movie::

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"