D.C. Area Babies

XP: paragard question

I posted this on the nest board but thought I might get some other responses here as well . . .

I'm thinking about using paragard after the baby comes (don't want hormonal birth control), so I talked to my doctor about it and was reading some reviews online.

Both my doctor and the reviews mentioned heavier periods - anyone experience that? (I know the opposite can be true with Mirena, but again I don't want to do hormonal BC, especially while breastfeeding.) The online reviews also complained about hair loss and acne - anyone here have those issues? 

For those of you who have it - how do you like it? How long do you plan on having it? Pros/cons? 

TIA!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

TTC #2: BFP 12/17/11, m/c 1/7/12 and D&C 1/12/12

baby blog/cooking blog
Follow Me on Pinterest

Re: XP: paragard question

• I don't have paraguard, but do have Mirena, so this might not answer your question. I also can't do any other hormonal birth control, but have not experienced the same problems with Mirena because it is localized and doesn't get into the blood stream. It never affected breastfeeding, unless that's the reason I had an oversupply. I have been happy so far and have yet to have a PP AF, so can't speak to that. I have had no side effects that I have noticed at all. Good luck with your decision.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • are you planning to BF? b/c if you are, this may not be an issue for quiet a while. DD is 10.5 mo old and I have yet to have my 1st PP period (and am so not looking FWD to it!)
  • Loading the player...
  • imageSofka:
    are you planning to BF? b/c if you are, this may not be an issue for quiet a while. DD is 10.5 mo old and I have yet to have my 1st PP period (and am so not looking FWD to it!)

Yeah, but I guess I'm worried about a surprise baby? I keep reading that your cycle can start while you're BFing and you won't realize it until it's too late . . . am I being too paranoid?

TTC #2: BFP 12/17/11, m/c 1/7/12 and D&C 1/12/12

baby blog/cooking blog
    Follow Me on Pinterest

• imagetomandcourt:

imageSofka:
    are you planning to BF? b/c if you are, this may not be an issue for quiet a while. DD is 10.5 mo old and I have yet to have my 1st PP period (and am so not looking FWD to it!)

Yeah, but I guess I'm worried about a surprise baby? I keep reading that your cycle can start while you're BFing and you won't realize it until it's too late . . . am I being too paranoid?

no, you have a good point

if you are sure you don't want a surprise baby then you should probably look into something; at my 7mo pp annual, my OB looked "inside" and said she can tell I'm not ovulating/having periods yet

We haven't used protection in so long I have no idea what to do LOL - if we have a 2nd baby, I'll be getting my tubes tied, as it'll have to be a scheduled c-section

sorry, I really was no help to anyone today

• No, I do not think you are being too paranoid. You can ovulate and potentially get pg before you get a first pp AF so I would definitely use some form of birth control unless # 2 is part of your plans. FWIW tomandcourt I will be getting a Paraguard, too.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • imageSofka:

wow- 10.5 months! I'm so jealous....

• I have the paragard.  I also didn't want any hormones so this was the best choice for us.  I love not having to think about it - no pills, condoms, etc, etc.  I have had heavier periods, but so far I've only had two (I have really long cycles, and only got it in a few months ago).  Supposedly, the heavy period thing is only supposed to last a few months.  My dr said if it lasted longer than that to call him again.  The first period I had was REALLY heavy.  The 2nd one was lighter than the first, but still heavier than pre-IUD.  I didn't have any real issues with cramping or anything like that.  I didn't even realize hair loss and acne was a side effect - I wonder why.  I haven't had that problem.  I"ve had acne since I"ve been breastfeeding (still am 3 or so times a day) and I'm using Retin-A for that, but I had it before I got the IUD, so I'd assume it's unrelated.    I plan on having it until we decide to start trying for another kid.  I'll get it taken out one cycle before we start trying. We're not sure when that will be, anywhere from 7 months to 3 years from now, lol.
  • imagetomandcourt:

imageSofka:

No, you are not being too paranoid.  You will ovulate the first time before you get a period.  This is when many women who are using BFing as birth control get pregnant without realizing that they can.   If you don't want two really close together, you are doing the right planning! 

• imageSofka:
    imagetomandcourt:

imageSofka:

if you are sure you don't want a surprise baby then you should probably look into something; at my 7mo pp annual, my OB looked "inside" and said she can tell I'm not ovulating/having periods yet

We haven't used protection in so long I have no idea what to do LOL - if we have a 2nd baby, I'll be getting my tubes tied, as it'll have to be a scheduled c-section

Interesting, I've never heard of that.    It took 8 months for me to get AF back, but you can only rely on BFing as birth control if the baby doesn't go more than 4-5 hours without nursing.  Any longer than that you're asking for trouble. 

• imageSofka:

Sofka--

If you're not ready for baby #2, I'd be careful. :)  One of my friends uses BFing as birth control, and she had 4 babies in four years because of it.  Hasn't had an AF in four years either.  She gets PG on her first ovulation.

(You would think she would have learned after the first time, but I guess not!)

• imageAgrippa:

imageSofka:

Sofka--

If you're not ready for baby #2, I'd be careful. :)  One of my friends uses BFing as birth control, and she had 4 babies in four years because of it.  Hasn't had an AF in four years either.  She gets PG on her first ovulation.

(You would think she would have learned after the first time, but I guess not!)

wow, 4 kids in 4 yrs!?

I would not mind, it took us a year with DD so if I got pg, I'd be happy

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"