Pregnant after 35
Options

Not what I expected.

I think telling my mom about my + test so soon was a mistake.  The first words out of her mouth were, "Oh, were you trying?"  The answer is "yes" but I expected something more along the lines of  "congratulations" or "how wonderful".  The next thing she asked was, "will you take a year off of work?"  I'm a teacher.  I would have thought her second question was "Do you feel ok? or  When do you go to the doctor?"  We chatted about other things and before hanging up, she said, "well, I guess I should say congratulations."  I'm not sure if it's because of this hormone festival, but I feel disappointed.  She was so outwardly happy when my B and SIL announced their pregnancies.  I'll see her today at my nephew's 1st Bday party.

Re: Not what I expected.

• Options

When we told my parents that I was pregnant (as soon as we found out) and they were thrilled.  They both cried, my mom gave me something she had been saving for her future grandchild.  It was wonderful.  Then I lost the baby :(

The next time we were pregnant (this time) we told them the news.  It was NOT the same feeling at all.  Of course we were all nervous that the pregnancy would make it, but the enthusiasm about having a grandchild was completely gone. They hugged us and said they were happy for us, but my mom said maybe we should have waited before telling them. 

I'm just trying to say that I know how you feel.  Try to give your mom some time to let it sink in and don't let it bring YOUR excitement level down in the least.  I never told my mom and dad that they rained on my parade.  It's a distant memory now that they are so excited.  I bet your mom will get there as soon as she starts thinking about a new baby and you as a mother :)

Good luck to you.  And congratulations!!! 

PhotobucketPhotobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Ug, that to me is hurtful.  Maybe a little bit of the hormones, but I would also be quite hurt.  I am sorry.  sending a hug your way.
    Photobucket
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

That is hurtful and I am sorry that she did not share in your happiness.  We experienced the same with my IL's.  They have been sort of blah throughout the whole pregnancy.  After several weeks of stewing over it and feeling hurt, I decided to embrace the people in our world who are genuinely happy for us and not dwell on those who don't share in our joy.

Good luck to you and congrats on your pregnancy!

• Options

After all the the things DH and I have been through to get PG, all the expierances, and all the disappointments we have learned that the only thing that matters is that you and DH are happy. I know that sounds awful but the comments and reactions people make/give are not worth the pain. It's better to just think about what makes you and DH happy and forget everyone else.

Sending hugs your way becasue that was pretty sh%%ty. Sorry you have to feel this.

Kristina

• Options
    I'm sorry your mom's reaction wasn't what you expected.  Maybe it will take a while for it to sink in for your mom.  It took DH and me about a week!  I am sure she will come around.  I am going to try to wait until closer to the end of the first trimester to tell my mom.  I know that's a long time to wait to tell my mom, considering how close we are, but I think this is best for us.  Maybe I'll just break down and tell her sooner than that -- it is very hard keeping this secret!  This will be her first grandchild, and she's been wanting one for about 10 years.  I expect she will be thrilled, but who knows....  She knows we are trying. 
  • Options

Nicer than my mom's response. She knew we were trying and, when I announced our BFP she asked, "did you miss you period?"

Huh?

• Options
    Strange reaction!  I would be disappointed too.  Maybe she had something else going on recently that had her feeling down and distracted?  It stinks that she had a weird reaction, but hopefully she'll snap out of it and come around!
    You are likely to be eaten by a grue. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Options
    I'm sorry that your good news was not received as you hoped. If it helps, I think that some of our parents gave up on ever having grandkids from us AMA types. Your mom was probably just shocked and not thinking. Give her a few days - I'm sure she'll be really excited and happy when itfinally sinks in.
    2012 Races: Mar 24: Great Human Race 5K. April 28: 5K for Fitness
  • Options
    Thanks for the support ladies.  I'm hopeful that Mom will turn around once I'm further along.
  • Options

I am sure it will improve.  My mom's reaction was pretty similar.  Her first response was "Are you happy about this?" uhmmmmmm YES!  She then said "Well I suppose it is ok then" and changed the subject. (I was pretty upset by her reaction so can understand how you feel).  This her first grandchild so I thought she might be a bit happier.

She has warmed up to the idea a bit better but is still not exactly excited.  But I figured maybe she just shows it differently.  A little while back my Doc gave me tablets for nausea and I told her about it, then two days later I stopped taking them as they made me feel worse.  Her reaction to my stopping was "Oh thank god, I did not want to say anything but I was really worried about you taking anything and it affecting the baby".  So she must be a bit excited.

Good luck with you mom, I am sure she probably just needs time for the idea to sink in

• Options

When I told my parents about my 1st, my mom was more displeased knowing that DH had told his 3 days earlier (I got to tell mine in person, and his live 5 states away).

This time, it was a very neutral reaction, and when I called to tell her the u/s results (it was 1 not 2 babies), she said it was nice then proceeded to tell me about the painter hired to work on the new house. Great.

I remind myself that no one will be as happy as DH and I are, and my mother is not the one to use as a measure for others. In fact, 2 weeks after we spent a week at the beach with them, my mother called to ask how my u/s went. Obviously, my brother mentioned to her she had been a twit.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"