D.C. Area Babies
Options

BBB vs. BRU

I've started researching the big items to add to our registry, but am quickly realizing that online research is only going to get me so far.  Eventually, DH and I are going to have to go to a store to test things out (he's 6'4", so I want to make sure the stroller is a comfortable height, etc).  Can anyone recommend which store, Babies R Us or Buy Buy Baby, is better for "test driving" items that we're considering?  I haven't been to either yet, so I don't know which one has a bigger selection, or if you're able to carry around infant carriers, push around strollers, etc. 

TIA!

Re: BBB vs. BRU

• Options

I like BBB much better.  I only go to BRU if I have to.  BBB has sales people that will actually help you and are older than 17.

• Options
    imagemek10976:

I like BBB much better.  I only go to BRU if I have to.  BBB has sales people that will actually help you and are older than 17.

Ditto. Also in case you didn't know, you can use unexpired Bed Bath and Beyond coupons at BBB and there is no limit to the number you can use. However, you have to read the fine print because there are certain restrictions for certain brands.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I have always found the sales associates at the BRU in Falls Church very helpful.  If they don't have something on the shelf they've almost always had it in the back.  They have a good selection of items to try out and see what you like or don't like.  I recommend since your husband is tall that for a stroller you might want one with an adjustable handle bar.  I'm 6 feet and DH is 6'1" and found the Bugaboo Chameleon perfect for us.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker TTC #1 Cycle #18 m/c Jan. 9, 2007, chemical pg May 4, 2007, methotrexate shot Oct. 5, 2007--m/c Oct. 9, 2007, IUI Nov. 17, 2007 It worked! beta 11/30 & 12/6 TTC #2 Cycle #5 IUI July 20, 2009 -BFN 8-3-09 Cycle #6 IUI August 17, 2009-BFP! 8-31-09, beta 9-1-09, 9-8-09, saw the H/B 9-22-09 EDD 5-10-10
  • Options
    imagevtkendra:
    imagemek10976:

Ditto. Also in case you didn't know, you can use unexpired Bed Bath and Beyond coupons at BBB and there is no limit to the number you can use. However, you have to read the fine print because there are certain restrictions for certain brands.

Yes  All of this. I like BBB better, it just seems better organized, more helpful and cleaner store in general.

• Options
    If you REALLY want to test drive strollers and carseat make the trip up to Great Beginnings. You will NOT be sorry. They know more than anyone I have ever met and have never been stumped by a question I have had, they are all parents of young kids themselves and are up on ERF. None are out to sell you something, they want you to get a good fit and be happy.
  • Options

imageJARbaby:
    If you REALLY want to test drive strollers and carseat make the trip up to Great Beginnings. You will NOT be sorry. They know more than anyone I have ever met and have never been stumped by a question I have had, they are all parents of young kids themselves and are up on ERF. None are out to sell you something, they want you to get a good fit and be happy.

Absolutely.  Great Beginnings has the best selections.

• Options
    Tritto Great Beginnings, even if it will be a drive.  There is a ton of space there, wide aisles to try things out and the staff is very helpful and very knowledgeable.  I don't know if all the sales people are like this, but we've found them fairly generous with extra discounts if you ask. 
  • Options
    imagemek10976:

a thousand times ditto. if you're specifically thinking of strollers, i think BBB also has a least twice as many to try. and the staff actually seem to know something about them.

The DC Nest. Winers welcome.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options

I like BBB over BRU. I test drove my stroller at Baby Blossom in Fairfax. Dave is very knowledge able about strollers and they carry most middle to hig end brands (Orbit, Maclern, Combi, Bugaboo, Uppa Baby, Inglesina, Phil and Ted, Bumbleride, etc) He lets you take the stroller outside for a test drive and he doesn't ever push you to buy something. I bought my stroller and high chair there and each time he lets me pick out a free toy for my DD.

• Options

I only go to BRU if I know exactly what I need and I know they have it. While their staff is nice and friendly, they are not as knowledgeable as the folks over in BBB. I LOVE BBB....they have a wide selection and the staff are knowledgeable and are not pushy! (I'm not saying the BRU folks are pushy though). BBB is farther than BRU for me, but I'll drive the extra miles if I really need some guidance on what I'm purchasing!

I've never been to Great Beginnings, but I have only heard wonderful things about that store!

• Options
    imageeeclem:
    imagemek10976:

a thousand times ditto. if you're specifically thinking of strollers, i think BBB also has a least twice as many to try. and the staff actually seem to know something about them.

Ditto! Plus their return policy is a lot better - they will take stuff back (for store credit) without a receipt - BRU will not unless it was on your registry. Not helpful when you get duplicates or people buy you stuff you don't want but don't give you a gift receipt . . . You can also use BRU coupons at BBB - we did this yesterday and saved $40.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

TTC #2: BFP 12/17/11, m/c 1/7/12 and D&C 1/12/12

baby blog/cooking blog
    Follow Me on Pinterest

• Options
    imagemek10976:

Like pp's I think BBB is the jam. I actually loathe the BRU on Rt. 7 and have gotten terrible customer service *every time* I've asked for help. The staff at BB could not be more helpful.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options

Another vote for BBB. 

Better service and products.  And, like a PP said, you can use unexpired Bed Bath and Beyond coupons, which is great!  

• Options
    Thanks to everyone!  Since BBB seems to be the CLEAR winner, we'll be heading to Springfield in the next few weeks!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"