Multiples

twinsies!

When did you find out you were having twins? How is this determined?

Thanks in advance.

Re: twinsies!

• It is determined by ultrasound. I found out at 5 wks.

GL and congrats on your PG!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker,Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • How awesome!!!! Okeey cool. We'll see! I'm 5 weeks now, I am so excited! My first OB appointment is this Thursday. :)

Congratulations on your twins, yippie!!

• Loading the player...
  • 19 weeks at first u/s.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Mommy to twin girls, Ashlyn & Fiona, born at 34 weeks due to vasa previa.
  • Is there a reason you are predisposed to having multiples (like infertility treatments, strong history of twin pregnancies, etc)?  Or have they already scheduled you for an ultrasound?  I ask, because it's not common to have an ultrasound before 20 wks unless one of the above applies.  

I found out by ultrasound at 10 wks, because this dr (diff. than the dr of my previous pregnancies) routinely does an U/S to date the pg, and because I have had a LEEP in the past, so we need a baseline cervical length.

• My husbands family has a couple sets of twins, so we know it's a possibility, his sisters are actually twins. Big Smile

Yeah, I'm unsure when I'll have my u/s but I will find out this thursday. In California they do tend to do them a bit earlier so we'll see.

• yeah the gene for hyperovulation is actually carried on the maternal side, so your DHs family doesnt really come into play.  It would matter if it was your paternal or maternal grandma, or other close relatives.

I know they do early u/s in plenty of places, its probably just your OB's policy.  Congrats on your BFP. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Mommy to twin girls, Ashlyn & Fiona, born at 34 weeks due to vasa previa.
  • imagelilmoe:

My husbands family has a couple sets of twins, so we know it's a possibility, his sisters are actually twins. Big Smile

Just FYI - - Your husbands family has no bearing on your possibility of having twins.  Identical twins are a fluke (no genetic link to a spilt), and fraternal is based on the mom releasing more than one egg/hyperovulation.  The gene can come to you via YOUR dad, but it is only genetic to you.  In other words, if your husband had fraternal twin sisters, he could pass that gene to your daughter (if you have a daughter), but he cannot cause you to hyperovulate or cause the split for identicals.  

• Ohhhh. Ok, I understand. Was unaware.

Thank you all for the clarity!! Smile

• We found out at an u/s at 11 weeks.  My OB thought I was measuring further ahead and wanted an u/s to check on the EDD and surprise! :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My doctor has an ultrasound done b/f the first appointment for everyone, so mine was done at 6 weeks and that's when we found out
  • We found out by ultrasound at 6w2d
    Our Blog TTC since 10/2004 Follistim+Ovidril+Metformin=BFP on 12/8/08 2 heartbeats-12/30/08 Betas- 10DPO-104 12DPO-274 Photobucket Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • First ultrasound (18 weeks) :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagejettagurl:

Is there a reason you are predisposed to having multiples (like infertility treatments, strong history of twin pregnancies, etc)?  Or have they already scheduled you for an ultrasound?  I ask, because it's not common to have an ultrasound before 20 wks unless one of the above applies.  

I found out by ultrasound at 10 wks, because this dr (diff. than the dr of my previous pregnancies) routinely does an U/S to date the pg, and because I have had a LEEP in the past, so we need a baseline cervical length.

My OBs office routinely does a u/s at the first appt to check for viability and/or multiples.  I had one at 8 weeks with my son, then at 11 weeks with the twins (which we didn't know about at the time.)

Good luck, I can't wait to hear your update!!

• I found out at my first ultrasound at my 12-week visit.
    fraternal twin boys born january 2009
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"